BANGKOK
webfact

Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

4 minutes ago, alphason said:

Who knows for sure as yet,

Ubon Joe says "It is only for OA long stay visas applied for at a embassy or official consulate in you home country.

All information we have is that it does not apply to extensions of stay based upon retirement or any other extension."

And "Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn also confirmed that the new insusrance requirement applies only to Non-Immigrant O-A "retirement" visas."

Non O A is a long stay visa applied for outside the country that gives a 1 year stamp on entry http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

That would make sense as the way I read it was that it was for new applicants and not those who are already on extentions of stay.

It would also lessen the hysteria that seems to happen on various forums when any kind of change it mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If people only stop to think before spouting crap about something that probably does not even affect them (yet).

Long term residents have nowhere to hide, they cannot get treatment and simply disappear, this is their home and most are fully committed to spending the rest of their time here. Try getting an extension if you have a warrant outstanding - there was recently an example in Phuket where a Russian guy went to extend his visa and instead found himself banged up.

There may well be a problem with end-of-life circumstances but if so then why not address this by offering affordable cover to the over 70s?

The real problem - as has been said many times - are tourists. Give the hospitals a hotline to immigration to prevent them leaving?

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mlkik said:

That would make sense as the way I read it was that it was for new applicants and not those who are already on extentions of stay.

It would also lessen the hysteria that seems to happen on various forums when any kind of change it mentioned.

Hope that is correct. May take away some of the hysteria on TV!! 😏😏😏

I recently applied for health cover at 77 the price was exhorbitant although they would cover me-what really annoys me and I have put this to insurance agents why don't they have a Sth. East Asia only policy I'm covered if I return to either the UK or Australia and I'm unlikely due to age to be going to another foreign country to live so I don't need World Wide cover.

5 minutes ago, mlkik said:

First sentence I agree with.  I also think that the ruling pertains to what UbonJoe has written,

Unfortunately, sentence #2 is not correct (lessen the hysteria).   Heck, I have to admit there was

an initial  <deleted> reaction yesterday when this post appeared.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

And how those old geezers >70 years or better? 

Can't get insurance when you already have one foot in the grave. 

That’s when they want to get rid of you. Maybe 20 to 30 years or more contributing to the community, then to be shipped off like something no longer desired. 

Never found much gratitude, and compassion in this place, so much indoctrinated authoritarian ignorance though.  

• Thanks 2

What sense makes this when every condition like diabetes is excluded?

Although I support a health care plan it would be nice to know what MP are associated with which insurance companies.  I had hip replacement surgery about 8 years ago in a private hospital and paid cash.  I quickly checked the link to companies that now supply the insurance and the premium cheapest available for my age group is 1.6 times the cost of the hip replacement with a 10 day hospit5al stay, the most expensive, Atena, is 2.75 times the cost.  Kinda off the deep end to me!

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

In my wife's village, there is a woman five years older than you. By 9 am she is drunk as a lord every single day, she wanders around the village and has never been hit by a truck or bike. And as for checkups, she has never even seen a doctor one time in her life. She will outlive you, me, and everyone else trying to live forever.

• Haha 2