Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

help ease the burden of foreigners not paying for medical treatment they have received in state hospitals.

The suggestion that all expats, who are already depositing large sums of money in the bank for our retirement or married visa which effectively we can no longer access due to the new regulations, plus those of us who have for many years been paying into the Thai Social (National Health) are being under threat of being refused permission to stay in our home.  Some of us cannot get medical insurance and those of you who thinks its okay to refuse a retirement visa and hence be removed from Thailand is okay is a total disgrace.

Where did General Nattawuth Prasert-siripong get his statistics?  How many faring didn’t pay the hospital bill? How many of them where long stay expats? Most of us if ill will go to a private hospital which already charge extortionate rates as published in recent articles.

Like many of us I don’t like to see these "fund me" posts for holiday makers who have no funds.  If the health service needs to increase income then a standard 500 baht payable on arrival for holiday makers to cover medical emergencies should be introduced. 

Final gripe is a facebook pole?  Thai Visa is the place for true expats to go, even if a lot of rubbish is posted from outside the country, Thai Visa should have announced this via the forum or by email updates that a pole will be conducted. Then maybe you would get a better feel for the problems that will exist for true expats who love and live here. Most of us are to busy to look at social media, perhaps its because we are to old and frail !!!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Australia has just introduced a new long-term tourist visa, allowing 3 or 5 year stays. The price is $5,000 for three years, but the catch is you are required to insure through a listed insurer only; for a 56 year old with no 'defects' the cheapest quote is $400 per month, so the three year visa actually costs almost $20,000 (1/2 million baht) ...!!

I think Thailand looks at this (as Aus immigration is very influential here) and thinks wow - the goose laid another golden egg!

Australia is one nation that is very up-front about not wanting outsiders to settle down within their borders.  I guess water-bound, island countries have that luxury.  It's also a first world country with first world prices and costs for goods, services, and health care.
And it works.  I would never consider staying in Australia.  Too expensive.

But - Thailand is not Australia.

4 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

You have to wonder how they came up with this idea for OA visas but not the Non O based on retirement?

Yet another idea that hasn't been thought through. 

The prices being quoted of around 60k Baht for the 400k baht of cover seem very high as well. There are cheaper alternatives available already. Will this push those premiums up?

O based on retirement will follow soon this one is just testing the water 

10 minutes ago, Travelerusa40 said:

Does Thai Visa know what an OA Visa is? It's for foreigners who are over 50 staying in thailand on an extension visa or Non Immigrant Visa known as OA Visa but slang for Retirement Visa.

Absolute BS.

An O-A is a type of non-immigrant visa, you also get non-O and non-B.

OA visa can only be issued in your country of origin after proving you have funds (overseas). You get stamped in for one year at a time (compared to 3 months non-o or none-b). There are no extensions involved so easy for someone to leave debts behind (not only medical).

A non-o, whether it is for marriage or retirement or other family related matters, may only be extended in Thailand after proving the applicant is meeting the requirements, number one being money in a Thai bank...

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Do you believe “deep roots” in a foreign country entitle you to having your accident and emergency illness bills paid for by the host country.  Too many people with “ deep Roots” underestimate they are living in a foreign country and not entitled to anything other than a visa if they qualify subject to change.  Become a citizen or permanent resident of you truly want “deep roots.”  Otherwise you are a visitor that chooses to spend time and money here nothing more nothing less. 

The goal posts of almost infinity and the price tag on residency is ridiculous not to speak of the citizenship cost, and yes there should be way more consideration and kindness for expats who are more deeply rooted with wife and kids whom are Thai. I hope they go this way in the near future rather than not accepting us. Even the expats who don't and invested in a condo putting money here should be better treated if you want me to go farther. Or if was accepted and easier, in jest then should I get a sex change and then can easily give me citizenship as I would be a woman married to a Thai? 

For me I can afford the insurance but want a better way for all. As the age goes up the premiums increase and for the late 60-70-80 to even 90 year old's, what chance do a majority have to pay the exorbitant cost of quite a few thousand of dollars of insurance each year and having to keep the added burden of money in the bank that cannot be touched? Not everyone is set up to the best for their later years,  but many are set up to live frugally or comfortable and very well to that of considering of what a Thai makes.

They need a better plan and to allow expats to be in what ever health program they choose, thus allowing a low cost premium that covers their general hospital care in a government system or to private if that's' the way you want to go. Most all of the insurance here is set up as preexisting or if you use it you lose it and the increases when at a certain age get way above reason. So it defeats the purpose already, and in all cases the hospitals want clear hard cold cash before they release you. Insurance is something you get back after the fact if you are lucky enough. So for me, if needed I will play their game, but I am concerned for all most older expats and deeply rooted expats in general.

4 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Still as confused as ever. Are they talking about. Type O-A Retirements visas ? Type O Marriage visas ? Those that need no bank accounts that apply for Type O visas in Savannakhet Laos ? And why not mandatory to ALL visas? What about the millions of Full Moon Party idiots who in up in the hospitals and make a dash to the airports without paying?

So..........YOU Want to see those of us on Marriage Visas obtained in Savanakhet Forced into buy this Insurance ?? & Break Up My Marriage of 26 Years....There IS A Reason we go to Savanakhet.....M-O-N-E-Y.....Got it.....We Don't meet the requirements But We CAN & Have Lived O.K On My Pension up to Now.......Although it's been a struggle at times,But We are Coping !!!!

12 minutes ago, Travelerusa40 said:

According to the announcement by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), it would appear the new requirements only apply to those seeking an Non-Immigrant Visa OA and not to foreigners over 50 who stay in Thailand on an extension of stay based on retirement.

I'll be the one who makes the prediction.

Requiring O-A visa holders to purchase mandatory insurance is the Thai Government testing the ice. 

Long-stay foreign expats inject billions of Thai baht into the economy of Thailand.  Greed and corruption is so endemic in this country that those who run the country have devised a way to further harvest the wealth of foreign expats and direct a large chunk of wealth to Thai insurers, just as the new retirement visa rules direct a large chunk of foreigner wealth to Thai banks imho.  See the pattern???

Prediction: Within two years 400k/40k insurance will be mandatory for all long-stay expats.

Now, what they should make mandatory is travel insurance for tourists.  However, doing so will adversely effect tourism numbers so it will not happen.

Prediction: When they make long-stay expats purchase rip-off insurance, mandatory insurance will still not be required for tourists.

This is all about greed and avarice.  Nothing more; nothing less.

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

I recently read a comment from one guy, age 65, who wrote that he has inpatient but that his  carrier (AIA?) will not allow him to "upgrade" to outpatient. Of course "upgrade" is a joke. OPD is completely unnecessary, waste of money. But if he really can't upgrade, then he is screwed, at least according to these early interpretations.

I just spoke to BUPA who is difficult to talk to because they quote coverage as per incident and per service, not total value. That makes it difficult to talk intelligently about  the B400k/B40,000 specified by Imm. In any event, apparently I can upgrade (lucky me!), but that the options work out to B35K or $60K. I have been paying these people for 10 years  never had more than a few visits to hospital which I paid out of pocket, probably less than B10K total in 10 years.  Anyway, waiting excitedly to find out how much this upgrade is going to add to the already expensive premium for practically no coverage worth mentioning.  Sigh!

4 hours ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

Congrats (from a going-on-70-in-a-minute & also healthy & fit old geezer). Unfortunately, it's only the age that is relevant, and not your condition. Lots of insurances with an online form make you send them your details for a quote; strange that the birth year doesn't go beyond 1955...  ????

41 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I am 75. My wife sells health insurance, but they won't insure me. Where does that place us seniors in the grand scheme of things?

It is frustrating because I eat healthy, exercise, don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Blood pressure and cholesterol fine. I am asked all the time how old I am, and then told, "I have power." Sadly insurance companies are playing a numbers game and do not look at an individual's health.

It gives us a good excuse to start smoking, drinking and eating magic mushrooms every day!

When I reach my use-by date all the vices are on my bucket list - or is that a casket list? ????

:sorry:

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Can’t get blood out of a turnip. And there are a lot of turnips here. Time for all foreigners to pay to insure their health or go home.  I hope my home country will do the same. I don’t want anyone in my home country that is relying on the government to pay for their accident or illness because they do not want or cannot pay for insurance. Why or earth should Thailand taxpayers pay for the risk of foreigners getting hurt or sick. 

Get real and have empathy realizing there needs to be a better solution to allow all to accessible affordable no strings attached health care, which is opening up the government program for many. No one wants a free ride, and most everyone would love to know that they are covered, but not under unrealistic payouts that will not allow you to use it anyway. Everyone can afford some sort of a coverage if it is realistic.

23 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Australia has just introduced a new long-term tourist visa, allowing 3 or 5 year stays. The price is $5,000 for three years, but the catch is you are required to insure through a listed insurer only; for a 56 year old with no 'defects' the cheapest quote is $400 per month, so the three year visa actually costs almost $20,000 (1/2 million baht) ...!!

I think you are referring to the Sponsored Parent Visa - Class 870.

It's not a tourist visa, but a specialized temporary entrant visa.  (You must be sponsored by a resident child) 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/sponsored-parent-temporary-870

I'm also sure a single parent could obtain Health Insurance in Australia for less than your quoted amount.

I assume that the person who brought this up to me is confused. She said that the insurance requirements only apply to OA visa, not O visa holders.

"foreigners aged over 50 to have mandatory health insurance when applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa OA."

I assume this means that if you have an extension for marriage, retirement or child support, the insurance requirement applies to you regardless of whether you started with an O or an OA visa.
No?

16 minutes ago, rexall said:

In any event, apparently I can upgrade (lucky me!), but that the options work out to B35K or $60K. I have been paying these people for 10 years  never had more than a few visits to hospital which I paid out of pocket, probably less than B10K total in 10 years.  Anyway, waiting excitedly to find out how much this upgrade is going to add to the already expensive premium for practically no coverage worth mentioning.  Sigh!

Which supports the notion that this is a gift to Thai insurance companies.

Insurance is for suckers... making a payment with the desire it 'pays off' when it hits. its for 60+ year old unhealthy fat smoking alcohol drinking farang who never exercise. i idon't want it or need it and should not be forced to have it. And when I do get sick my bills will get paid. Worry about yourself and leave your hands off my pockets. Dunces... the same guys who pay for insurance for the extended warranty on a fridge

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Get real and have empathy realizing there needs to be a better solution to allow all to accessible affordable no strings attached health care, which is opening up the government program for many. No one wants a free ride, and most everyone would love to know that they are covered, but not under unrealistic payouts that will not allow you to use it anyway. Everyone can afford some sort of a coverage if it is realistic.

In some cases, the coverage provided by BUPA, AIA, et al may be sufficient. But if you get something really nasty--assuming you are able to travel--the best you can hope for is that they patch you up so that you can return to your home country and use your country's version of social insurance.

Of course all insurance is a little bit like gambling. But I have paid BUPA nearly B700,000 over ten years and never collected one satang from them (except for my free annual flu shot). OK. I accept that. But the unfortunate thing is that if I get really sick, my B500K coverage is not going to go very far. 

The OP is correct. "No one wants a free ride, and most everyone would love to know that they are covered, but not under unrealistic payouts that will not allow you to use it anyway. Everyone can afford some sort of a coverage if it is realistic."

12 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

3 hours ago, Thailand J said:

"mandatory health insurance of over 50s"

while the short term tourists don't? They are the ones renting motorbikes looking for adventures.." Guess what i did in Thailand.."

yeah we old men need insurance in case we fall off the bar stool.

the kids can't ride like some of the old guys.  i am 69 and still surfing and skiing.  it's all relative. 

3 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

A poll with insurance company bias written all over it?

Has to take the prize for the weakest fake news try of the year!.  This is absolute rubbish!

"Joe Blow said - - - - - - "  How many times do we read these sort of garbage statements in advertising - - -

The first Thai visa news item is now up to 77 pages and there is a very large majority hating this guvmint rule - - - - -

naturally the Thai government thinks we will believe this baloney.  they are dealing with a educated people here

4 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Insurance is for suckers... making a payment with the desire it 'pays off' when it hits. its for 60+ year old unhealthy fat smoking alcohol drinking farang who never exercise. i idon't want it or need it and should not be forced to have it. And when I do get sick my bills will get paid. Worry about yourself and leave your hands off my pockets. Dunces... the same guys who pay for insurance for the extended warranty on a fridge

We look forward to your comments when the inevitable happens, and guess what - it can happen to you first.

Now don't get too upset, it's nothing personal - I just don't care for delusional geriatrics pretending to be iron man... ????

What is the big deal? Just open the national health care system to all. Charge evil, slimy foreigners a predatory surcharge if they want. Problem solved.

7 minutes ago, Kay McDonnell said:

Does anyone know which other countries in the world, have this mandatory rule for foreigners?

Schengen (EU) countries for starters. Although they don't have easy or cheap retirement visas - unless you are rich, that is.

I am retired from teaching in both private and government schools.  At both schools I was told that I could not have insurance due to my age - over 50 at the private Catholic school and over 58 at the government school.  I am now over 70.  I have lived here for more than 30 years.  I have been hospitalized three times, all for injuries from being in motorcycle accidents where I was hit by Thais, all of whom fled the scene and took no responsibility.  I paid my own medical expenses in full myself.  I also am married to a Thai citizen and have legally adopted the two Thai children of my wife.  I educate them and support my Thai family, but due to my age, I cannot get insurance from a Thai company.  I did finally get a quote from abroad for more than 7,000 dollars US per year!  I will pay my own medical thank you.  I have more than 400,000 in the bank for my visa.  Why can't that be a guarantee in case medical care is needed?  Also, the 40,000 outpatient clause is simply ridiculous.  If the Thai government wants to offer me affordable, reasonable insurance, I will gladly purchase it.  They denied me in my last teaching post when they should have included me.  If they had, I would have continued the government Social Security insurance on my own.  The Thai government needs to come up with a plan of their own.  They also need to make some kind of accommodation for those of us who have and support Thai families, especially those of us who have paid taxes in Thailand for many years.

Hospitals require your passport for I'D and registration .Should you skip without paying your Passport No is passed on to immigration and then you are comprehended should you try to skip the Country

Archived