BANGKOK
webfact

Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

13 minutes ago, Surasak said:

they do not consider a no claims bonus for health care, just pile on the premiums year after year. 

Aetna give 10% for a claim-free year.

I do not believe this poll. ALL expats know that it is the young people that leave their brain on the airplane when they come here and they are 99% of the ones who have to use the hospitals. But they can not make tourist have medical insurance when they come here because the government know that would kill the tourist trade  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

What gets me are these statements saying expats cost the health service money.

In my 10 years here I've had to go to the hospital three times. First thing they ask for is insurance. I had it for the first visit. None since. But when it comes time to check out, the first thing the hospital does is bring in a large orderly, put you in a wheelchair, and push you to the ATM machine. Oh, well. Better than Mexico, where a friend of mine was handcuffed to his hospital bed until he paid. 

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Concur.

What gets me are these statements saying expats cost the health service money.

I've lived here 16 years and been in the wars.
Every time i've had work done in govt hospitals i have paid.

And paid considerably more than a local.

I am not remotely complaining, just saying i pay my way, and i can't see how you can get away without paying.

12 stitches in the head (7+5, 2 x occasions)

2 very bad foot infections (one inc 2 months daily cleaning & re-dressing)

burst appendix

yada nada da bing....

Can’t get blood out of a turnip. And there are a lot of turnips here. Time for all foreigners to pay to insure their health or go home.  I hope my home country will do the same. I don’t want anyone in my home country that is relying on the government to pay for their accident or illness because they do not want or cannot pay for insurance. Why or earth should Thailand taxpayers pay for the risk of foreigners getting hurt or sick. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Wake Up said:

Why or earth should Thailand taxpayers pay for the risk of foreigners getting hurt or sick

Oh, I don't know. Why should foreigners pay and take the risk to get a lot of Thai school kids out of a cave in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"According to a straw poll on the Thaivisa Facebook page..."

Well, that's about as highly scientific and objective as it gets in Thailand.

Come on what did you expect them to say?

I bet The Insurance Companies are licking there chops at this windfall from farangs too - We are talking win win here for Thaivisa - The Nation Group News   :biggrin:

• Like 1

WHO DID THE POLL. I never seen or heard of a poll and do not believe there was a poll and if there was any smart expat that has been here over 3 years would never vote for this

• Haha 1

These polls are as corrupt as the Thai elections.  Let's get real here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And just how many of those responding to the supposed survey were over 50?, and have deep roots here?, and...

Do you believe “deep roots” in a foreign country entitle you to having your accident and emergency illness bills paid for by the host country.  Too many people with “ deep Roots” underestimate they are living in a foreign country and not entitled to anything other than a visa if they qualify subject to change.  Become a citizen or permanent resident of you truly want “deep roots.”  Otherwise you are a visitor that chooses to spend time and money here nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

is this law just for O-A visa holder or is for people who have retirement visas also??? does anyone know if so please let me know. Thank you

I say Yes, unless you can prove you can self insure!  There is no NHS here and a flight away will not work if you have had a heart attack or a stroke, or you are diagnosed with a dreaded disease.

2 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Not a reliable yardstick, by any means...

That is not my quote you use.