BANGKOK 27 June 2019 20:02
webfact

Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

The 80,000 Baht in the bank is already a form of Insurance, (the problem is if your ill, and cannot use that money due to strict seasoning rules) Its also unfair if your injured by a suicidal uninsured Thai driver,

I'm sure the main problem is as previously stated Tourists, its so easy for them to skip, My wife was recently in hospital, and they were not going to release her untill bill was paid, we're not tourists.

• Like 2

Most insurance companies will not insure you if you have pre-existing health issues.

Most elderly people have some sort of medical problems so "catch 22" applies.

The other issue here is the extortionate fees and charges that are used by private hospitals.

From experience, private hospital cost up to 5 times more than local government hospital for the same procedure.

Get these hospital fees under control and make insurance affordable.   

When I moved to Thailand at 62 y.o. I checked on insurance and found that being self insured was more logical. I am now 81 y.o. with some health issues and so no insurance company will touch me.
However, I have sufficient funs in bank to cover any health care issues. In fact I recently had a stent inserted and paid for it out of pocket and still have enough to cover more than 400000 (I won't say exactly how much over). Moreover, because I have very good pension money coming in it is growing. 

I do not see how I can meet or, for that matter, need to be forced to have insurance that I can't get anyway.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, john west said:

Bluesofa
This is the new requirement and yes it is true and same based on retirement extension and yes 800k 2 months before due date of extension based on retirement and have to leave it there for 3 months but can touch it, but providing you do not go below 400k
I noticed you on marriage basis so the normal amount is 400k and not sure and no expert but you have to leave 200k in for 3 months after.
My situation based on extension based on retirement is correct
Check with your Immigration Office.

Yes, agree about the new retirement extension info.

Can you tell me where it has been stated the same applies to marriage extensions regarding any amount needing to be left in an account after the extension is issued.?

The law on that has not been changed, unless it's happened in the past few days?

Posted (edited)

I just saw the quotes on 40,000 baht of outpatient coverage for over 50s, and the cost of it is....wait for it....43,000 baht!!!!!

OMG, in over 20 years of living in Thailand, I've never seen a bigger scam than this one. And it's compulsory!!!!

Too funny. IF I was forced into this, I'd definitely make sure I get that 40k of outpatient treatment each year even if I didn't need any treatment. 

With riduclously high prices like that, I'm sure there will be a big business in fake insurance for those visa extenders.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mandatory or not, I'm very glad that I took out health insurance early on. 

For those of us unfortunate to have experienced major health problems the money spent has been a Godsend in my case.

People may not think that illness is around the corner but better to be prepared. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

fully agree and most unpaid bills come from motorcycle rentals who are young, have no experience and no insurance and who responsible for  that not the rentals but renter

• Like 1

After the recent government check on hospital charges, If every foreigner had Insurance, it would then be OPEN SEASON for hospitals to Boost their charges even higher.

This whole issue would appear to be another of those non-thought over schemes for a quick fix for some of the problems here, Just typical of some of the brainless people in charge here.

• Like 2