Future Ex-Pats - Still planning to move to Thailand?

Cost of living is much less in Thailand than most Western countries, especially housing.

Baffles me why anyone would consider leaving their home country to live abroad and not consider health insurance so cannot see why this potential new rule/law would change anyones plans.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

That is something most of us should think of, since everything can change in 5 - 10 years, and Thailand and Asia is on rise, where everything getting more expensive, our valuta weaker. Can you live a good life if cost for living rise with 20%? 30% or are you already on your limit? 

It's only housing costs and local taxes related to housing that are significant for most people.

They have been broadly the same for me since I moved here ten years back.

25% of my monthly spend, in the UK they were 60% of my monthly income.

I don't include currency fluctuations in my assessment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tagged said:

That is something most of us should think of, since everything can change in 5 - 10 years, and Thailand and Asia is on rise, where everything getting more expensive, our valuta weaker. Can you live a good life if cost for living rise with 20%? 30% or are you already on your limit? 

And your home country will go up the same.

It is ridiculous for people to say how expensive Thailand is now they do not understand economics.

Inflation should be a big part of your financial portfolio planning.

But most here have no idea what I am referring too....

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If I had to choose today, it'd be Cambodia.

Easy 1 year VISA, cheap beer and plenty of women at a price I can afford.

Just like Thailand was 10 years back. 

But where in Cambodia? I don't know many places but PP is a dump! Snooky a lost cause!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

And your home country will go up the same.

It is ridiculous for people to say how expensive Thailand is now they do not understand economics.

Inflation should be a big part of your financial portfolio planning.

But most here have no idea what I am referring too....

For most of us, our  currency is down almost 50% in 15 years since we first got the taste of Thailand. Explain what we do not understand what you talking about. Another 30% will put my lifestyle on my limits, since I now manage to save 30% at the moment!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

It's not the Health Insurance per se, it's the constant changes to the rules & the feeling that Thailand isn't as welcoming to Expat Retirees as it once was whereas other places (e.g. Vietnam) are becoming more welcoming.

I hope you enjoy Vietnam.

• Like 1

As a golfer it is also much cheaper (1/2 to 1/3) in Thailand.

I'm surprised golf is cheaper for you. I'm pretty sure in Europe and Australia it's a lot cheaper, i could play unlimited golf in the UK for around £1k a year. Thailand 3x a week £8k+
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tagged said:

For most of us, our  currency is down almost 50% in 15 years since we first got the taste of Thailand. Explain what we do not understand what you talking about. Another 30% will put my lifestyle on my limits, since I now manage to save 30% at the moment!

+1 He misses the point on inflation vs currency fluctuation. Two different things, 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

, if you were planning your retirement destination today & didn't have any ties to Thailand would you still move here or look elsewhere?

i will let you know as soon as something changes that actually affects me in a new way.

so far nothing has changed even with the new insurance requirements.

• Like 1