BANGKOK 22 May 2019 09:43
Mike Teavee

Future Ex-Pats - Still planning to move to Thailand?

21 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Go to Vietnam! 😎

If you believe in Karma many retired guys in Thailand should never go to Vietnam again. 

2 hours ago, fletchsmile said:

Thanks.

The info is from Ministry of Health which is one thing, i.e not immigration. All the noise so far seems to come from the Health Ministry. As Immigration would implement, it's really what they say will count in the end

The translation from the Thai is accurate "may be considered" to request approval. I wouldn't like to buy a policy on the strength of that. Very different to saying "will be accepted". Every chance they consider a particular policy and reject it, or may not consider it too 🙂

Time is the thing.  How much notice will we get?  Is 70,000 worth sleepless nights?  Depends. 

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you believe in Karma many retired guys in Thailand should never go to Vietnam again. 

Fyi most of these USA retired army guys are residing in Phillipines and not in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I'm sure your surprise and outrage would be considerable if you did marry, did have a child, did buy a house, did buy a car, and then the goal posts got moved to a point where you no longer can play the game. 

Many are faced with this dilemma now, and their outrage and surprise is understandable. 

Did all that but quite frankly I'm beyond caring any more.

Cambodia looks nice ............ I can walk away (again).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Did all that but quite frankly I'm beyond caring any more.

Cambodia looks nice ............ I can walk away (again).

No problem for me, either.

If an agent can't get me sorted, with some certainty, I'm off to Vietnam.

I actually rang a friend in Vietnam the other day and he told me there are a lot of guys from Thailand in the bars there now.  I told him he should expect to see more in the future.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Fyi most of these USA retired army guys are residing in Phillipines and not in Thailand.

FYI there are VFW posts all over Thailand, you did know there were a million Americans stationed in Thailand not too long ago. 

I came to live in Thailand in 2005. I am British

Thanks to Allan Greenspan with his 1% Fed Fund Rates move -I could afford to buy a condo.

The 70 baht to the pound became 50 as base rates all became the same.

The 50 has become 40 thanks to Brexit.

No new Britsh entrants are coming -it seems to me.

If this compulsory health insurance becomes mandatory -then that will finish it for Brits.

So  to answer your Q .

If the current financial circumstances had applied back in 2005 for certain I would have not  made the move.

Just too expensive.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:45 AM, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

I guess it all depends where you come from and the monies you have.

I have a great retirement from California.

My rent for example in Pattaya is 330 US a month with an ocean view compared to 2,200 US + in California.

As a golfer it is also much cheaper (1/2 to 1/3) in Thailand.

Food is also much less.

Time with a lady cannot even compare so much better in Thailand. 

None of these Thai Visa rules bother me the rest of it more then makes up for any inconvenience.

Wow

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I'm sure your surprise and outrage would be considerable if you did marry, did have a child, did buy a house, did buy a car, and then the goal posts got moved to a point where you no longer can play the game.

Surprise and outrage at change has nothing to do with how much skin one has in the game.  It's only a function of the degree to which planning was done knowing that change, even drastic change, happens all the time. 

Anyone who is not already thinking about what they will do if TI doubles or triples the financial requirements is going to be blind-sided if that happens.  Those who are thinking about it, and planning what to do if it happens, may need to make some serious changes, maybe even pack up and move on, but they won't be surprised or outraged by it.  If it never happens, so much the better, but not to foresee the possibility and plan ahead is inviting trauma down the road, I think.

• Like 2

Since this topic has gone way off topic it has now run it course.

Topic :mfr_closed1:

• Confused 1