Future Ex-Pats - Still planning to move to Thailand?

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

-The costs of any product imported are rising constantly.  Imported medicines; foods; wines;  health products cost 3-5 times what they do in America/ 

So buy the local medicines .........

Finesteride 5mg costs 800bht for 30 tabs in my local Thai pharmacy (Firide 5mg), seems to sell for $40 in the USA. So $15 cheaper here. Aspirin 81mg, 30bht for 60 tabs (Aspent-M), also cheaper than the USA. 

Iherb charge $4 to ship to Thailand (no importduty on under $45), so effectively same price as anywhere else in the world (use my discount code if you join ($10) or order (5%-10%), gets us both a discount AOX3347).

Wine is expensive, learn to drink another type of alcohol.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And your home country will go up the same.

It is ridiculous for people to say how expensive Thailand is now they do not understand economics.

Inflation should be a big part of your financial portfolio planning.

But most here have no idea what I am referring too....

The Australian Dollar has dropped below 22, when a few years ago it was 32.  That alone has devalued me by over $250,000.  There are many items that are more expensive than in Perth.  I have decided to stay here. Will just go to Thailand to visit family. Forget all the touring and renting cars, costs a fortune now.

7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Baffles me why anyone would consider leaving their home country to live abroad and not consider health insurance so cannot see why this potential new rule/law would change anyones plans.

Well, Don, reality strikes. I retired at age 64 1/2 on a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa received through the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago. When I first came, I took out a health insurance policy but, as I was honest, the company excluded anything dealing with the heart/circulation. Upon renewal, they raised the premium as I was entering a new age group. With the cost going up and with the excluding of my biggest risk, I canceled the policy. I had a heart attack in Dec. 2015 and went to RAM for a stent and 2 angioplasties (result of scar tissue buildup from the earlier by-passes). Bill was 411,000 baht. I have a Medigap policy that will pay $5K annually for overseas care. So insurance paid $5K and I paid $6K. Done and dusted. I hope you understand better why some of us are in a position to self insure with the knowledge that, if we can get on a plane, many have some national healthcare (in my case Medicare). Oh, I do carry an Accident policy in Thailand. I am a resident of Thailand, if I travel I get Travel coverage.

• Thanks 1

If friends asked about coming to Chiang Mai with the recent hazardous pollution levels, I recommended waiting until the smoke (literally) cleared. With the implementation of new Immigration requirements, including the current discussion oh medical insurance ... my advice would be the same.

• Like 1

Thailand still  an affordable place but nowadays there are for me easier and far less complicated longterm  visa options available elsewhere Vietnam Spain Phillipines etc.

I will still visit Thailand but for holidays only no-more for an retirement.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I've been here 15 years and I think it was the right move at the time, Thailand was a pretty easy-going and relaxed place back then. Gradually, though, it's become more and more hidebound as they unearth old, never-enforced rules and laws and invent new ones. I don't like the West because it has too many silly rules, but Thailand seems to be trying to beat it at its own game these days.

To be honest, I'd move tomorrow if I could, I don't find this country anything like as much fun as it was a decade or two ago, but I'm too heavily invested in Thailand for it to be easy to move.

I'd give one piece of advice to people who haven't yet made the move: only consider countries that have a formal retirement programme, like Malaysia or the Philippines, for example, if you must end up in SEA. Trying to live long-term in a place that doesn't, like Thailand, leaves you wide open to all sorts of gerrymandering and abuse by the authorities, as we have seen in the last year. You're effectively living under a set of rules that were never designed for the purpose and that can be twisted and bent as the powers-that-be want. 

Noting is easy for change country with big investment but not impossible.... 

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Well, Don, reality strikes. I retired at age 64 1/2 on a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa received through the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago. When I first came, I took out a health insurance policy but, as I was honest, the company excluded anything dealing with the heart/circulation. Upon renewal, they raised the premium as I was entering a new age group. With the cost going up and with the excluding of my biggest risk, I canceled the policy. I had a heart attack in Dec. 2015 and went to RAM for a stent and 2 angioplasties (result of scar tissue buildup from the earlier by-passes). Bill was 411,000 baht. I have a Medigap policy that will pay $5K annually for overseas care. So insurance paid $5K and I paid $6K. Done and dusted. I hope you understand better why some of us are in a position to self insure with the knowledge that, if we can get on a plane, many have some national healthcare (in my case Medicare). Oh, I do carry an Accident policy in Thailand. I am a resident of Thailand, if I travel I get Travel coverage.

Yeah you self insure.... not really the target of my post.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

I guess it all depends where you come from and the monies you have.

I have a great retirement from California.

My rent for example in Pattaya is 330 US a month with an ocean view compared to 2,200 US + in California.

As a golfer it is also much cheaper (1/2 to 1/3) in Thailand.

Food is also much less.

Time with a lady cannot even compare so much better in Thailand. 

None of these Thai Visa rules bother me the rest of it more then makes up for any inconvenience.

Most others here unlike you are indeed concerned with frequently  more complicated retirement rules presented for us. Sure Thailand is affordable compared with your home country but i doubt retirees fed up here will go back to their home country they just relocate to nearby elsewhere. Pattaya doesn’t even offer much variation golf-wise but i guess the bar girls variety makes up for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

When your spouse emigrates to AUS/US/EU/UK, you jump through the hoops, but she's (maybe he too) a permanent resident when she enters mythical magical farangland,, with pretty much all the same rights, protections as a citizen, they just can't vote.

I view see it differently, women are generally protected by governments, men generally aren't.

Women married to Thai men have absolutely no problem getting Thai citizenship. Men aren't wanted anywhere in the world these days. Every tribe/nation in the world wants more women, very few want more men.

So you aren't comparing like with like,

Your spouse will almost always be female, Australia will protect her.

You are a man, Thailand doesn't want you here.

Same game with welfare, it's designed to benefit women, it's not really for men.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, somtumwrong said:

+1 He misses the point on inflation vs currency fluctuation. Two different things, 

I think the point he was making is that, considering the currency change, things in Thailand seem relatively more expensive than years earlier. It may not be inflation, but it kinda feels like inflation to the person who gets a lot less baht that he used to for the same amount of foreign currency. 

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

The Australian Dollar has dropped below 22, when a few years ago it was 32.  That alone has devalued me by over $250,000.  There are many items that are more expensive than in Perth.  I have decided to stay here. Will just go to Thailand to visit family. Forget all the touring and renting cars, costs a fortune now.

dropped below 22? I just had a quote today it was 19.1

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Sri Lanka has the "My Dream Home" program.  55 years of age, $15k USD fixed deposit in Sri Lankan bank, $1500 USD pension/monthly income for main applicant and $750 USD/month for each dependent.   Sri Lankan savings accounts for senior citizens pay 12% to 14% a year. 

https://www.immigrationlanka.com/Info-2-7.html

Better, if you don't read the news or go to church much. 

Edited by marcusarelus