Future Ex-Pats - Still planning to move to Thailand?

Be honest most of us came here for the girls. With some of the better ones now over 100 GBP even for short time it's just not worth it. Wine is impossible to buy so are many of the western things we like, cheese etc. If i was starting again i certainly wouldn't pick Thailand.

• Haha 1

Just now, Henryford said:

Be honest most of us came here for the girls. With some of the better ones now over 100 GBP even for short time it's just not worth it. Wine is impossible to buy so are many of the western things we like, cheese etc. If i was starting again i certainly wouldn't pick Thailand.

Wine, cheese and women are all ok in my house but I have USD coming in.  If I had the pound or Aussie dollar i'd be crying too. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sgoodes said:

It's the baht that is making me reconsider staying. I'll have 3 years up this Dec and if it drops below 20 I may pull up stumps. The health insurance doesn't bother me at all. 

Hedge.  I did in 2005.  Lock your costs in at a rate you are comfortable with. 

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Many people leave their home country to live abroad for various reasons. It changes quite a few plans if the Thai Government mandates health insurance which can only be purchased through Thai companies at ruinous prices, and cannot be obtained by anyone over 70 with pre-existing conditions. Still baffled?

Where does it say purchase only from Thai companies?  In fact is says the reverse of that?

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Where does it say purchase only from Thai companies?  In fact is says the reverse of that?

That's what I understand from the rather garbled translation of what the poohba said on another thread. i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's worse than Brexit Britain,

we dropped from 52 to 42 ...... 20%

you've dropped 32 to 20 ...... 33%

Yep, I am crying in my milk. It is starting to hurt now. Even though I have a pension, money every two weeks, it is just getting less and less for just no darn reason at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It would almost double my international insurance premiums if I had to pay for a 40,000 baht OPD. My insurance then loses its relevance totally.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Some more inflammatory and off topic posts have been removed. No further notice of removed posts will be given from now on.

And another reminder after removing some more.

11 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Baffles me why anyone would consider leaving their home country to live abroad and not consider health insurance so cannot see why this potential new rule/law would change anyones plans.

Easy, they have enough money to self insure which is forced by the requirement of keeping 800K in the bank for most of the year.  And for the older people, spending 100K or more for pretty poor insurance is not pleasant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm surprised golf is cheaper for you. I'm pretty sure in Europe and Australia it's a lot cheaper, i could play unlimited golf in the UK for around £1k a year. Thailand 3x a week £8k+

Where we played in the UK (Pedham Place) I see that joint 7Day membership is now almost £2000. 

Here we have shares that tie up 750,000thb. When we play caddies and tips are at least 1200thb ...I need the caddie to tell me where my ball went..so don't complain about having to have one.

So with the crappy exchange rate it is actually over twice as much to play here.

MrsJ recently dropped the bomb... can we afford to play five times a week .....'kin hell ...

At nearly 74 I am here for the duration...we cancelled our UK health insurance four or five years ago now ...then it was £8800/ year and rising 10-15% every year...we now use mainly government hospitals...fortunate in that way we are in the BK area.

Have we ever been back to the UK since we left in 2007 ..No

11 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

if you were planning your retirement destination today & didn't have any ties to Thailand would you still move here or look elsewhere?

Absolutely Thailand for me... but i love the people and culture, especially out of the big cities. I would learn the language all over again. 

• Like 1

I guess as have family and house paid for 7k baht a month for health ins is the 'rent' I will pay to live in Thailand. Sure I would rather it was mine to spend but in reality there may come a time when I require cover. Rather than moan and get all despondent I will scout around for the best deal. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Here we have shares that tie up 750,000thb. When we play caddies and tips are at least 1200thb ...I need the caddie to tell me where my ball went..so don't complain about having to have one.

So with the crappy exchange rate it is actually over twice as much to play here.

Plenty of cheaper options here. There seems to be at least one military course in every city, not expensive. The upmarket courses frequently run promotions when volume is low off-season.

You must be playing some quite expensive courses. The best course in Northern Thailand is Santiburi in Chiang Rai, and a caddy there is about 600 baht including tip. At Mae Kok ( military ) it would be green fees ( non-member ) 800, caddy tip 300.

I can't think of any good courses in Australia where I'll get any change out of 2000 baht. And there aren't any caddies any more.

Edited by Lacessit

If I had to do it all again, yes I would still consider Thailand as a retirement destination and yes, I would still get health insurance. Why would now be any different to the past??? Or are you referring to the over 50's compulsory health insurance thing? Doesn't affect me because firstly I'm nearly 20 years away from that age and secondly I have health insurance.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Plenty of cheaper options here. There seems to be at least one military course in every city, not expensive. The upmarket courses frequently run promotions when volume is low off-season.

You must be playing some quite expensive courses. The best course in Northern Thailand is Santiburi in Chiang Rai, and a caddy there is about 600 baht including tip. At Mae Kok ( military ) it would be green fees ( non-member ) 800, caddy tip 300.

I can't think of any good courses in Australia where I'll get any change out of 2000 baht. And there aren't any caddies any more.

Maybe you misunderstand, or I was not clear ... we each have a membership share at Muang Ake 1 ... when we bought ten years ago they were about 360,000thb each. So when we play there we don't pay a green fee, just the caddie fee and tip (300+3000 each) normally.

So you can easily work out what it costs us to play three times a week.

Yes ...there are plenty of promotions ...Chaing Mai in October is good value. Also I think we are going to start playing with thailand senior golfers association again ...  their monthly comps are excellent value. Last month Green Valley 1600thb green fee, caddy fee, meal and raffle!

We often play the EGAT courses ... Srinakarin Dam is my favourite great value ...a few weeks ago we played Sirikit Dam and 'gasped for breath' at Mae Moh ...think I wrote something in the Golf Section about the trip.

Edited by JAS21