Future Ex-Pats - Still planning to move to Thailand?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's criminal people get priced out when they need it the most

It is basically the same "rate of interest" model that fuels the NHS back in the UK. At a certain point in time, you simply aren't worth sustaining.

Five years ago I considered Mexico, and probably would today, as well. Not at the beach, but a 60 km inland metro of 800k.  Walmart, home Depot, and very accessible to USA.  Certainly some negatives like the Catholic dominance and scary cops, as well as a murder-kidnap problem. A friend moved to Armenia, Colombia and got a slacker teaching job and his wife is a retired civil servant.  Climate seemed great, but it's a nothing works right kind of place.. and rent is not cheap. I would say Scambodia is not under consideration anymore, unless it was for an unlikely runner.  Some of the worst things about LOS are somewhat worse in Cambo, including the chinese, but the French bread and cheap beers are cool, as well as some good late, late stuff.  

Been looking at a second home in a Shenandoah Valley college town.  Also, looking in the great State of Wyoming.  I am a big fan of rainy season here, and would rather leave during the dryseason, but not to get hit with a brutal winter.  Mueang Nonthaburi is working for me now, and it is a solid Imm Office, but things do change. I will not have any problems getting a policy here.. would hate to have to pay for outpatient coverage, though, never seems like a good deal. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2

I've read this forum for about a year and recently signed up.  Currently a healthy 63 and considered retiring early next year to Thailand at 64.

I planned on the 800,000thb in a Thai bank and self insuring because I have >10m thb in savings/IRA.  SS/Pension monthly, at current rates, showing as 96,000THB.  So I'm not rich, but not too poor; right?

The health insurance concerns me because I hate wasting money, and coverage of only 400,000THB for a 1/4 of that per year is insane.  Equivalent in the US would be for me to pay $250,000 for $1m of coverage per year.

I hope they come up with an alternative for those of us who can self-insure; ie more money in bank.

But I'm still considering the move because, warts and all, Thailand is an interesting country and a new adventure I'd like to pursue.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Many people leave their home country to live abroad for various reasons. It changes quite a few plans if the Thai Government mandates health insurance which can only be purchased through Thai companies at ruinous prices, and cannot be obtained by anyone over 70 with pre-existing conditions. Still baffled?

Please do not be baffled , the writing is on the Wall ..

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Five years ago I considered Mexico, and probably would today, as well. Not at the beach, but a 60 km inland metro of 800k.  Walmart, home Depot, and very accessible to USA.  Certainly some negatives like the Catholic dominance and scary cops, as well as a murder-kidnap problem. A friend moved to Armenia, Colombia and got a slacker teaching job and his wife is a retired civil servant.  Climate seemed great, but it's a nothing works right kind of place.. and rent is not cheap. I would say Scambodia is not under consideration anymore, unless it was for an unlikely runner.  Some of the worst things about LOS are somewhat worse in Cambo, including the chinese, but the French bread and cheap beers are cool, as well as some good late, late stuff.  

Been looking at a second home in a Shenandoah Valley college town.  Also, looking in the great State of Wyoming.  I am a big fan of rainy season here, and would rather leave during the dryseason, but not to get hit with a brutal winter.  Mueang Nonthaburi is working for me now, and it is a solid Imm Office, but things do change. I will not have any problems getting a policy here.. would hate to have to pay for outpatient coverage, though, never seems like a good deal. 

Very interesting post to me.

May I kindly ask you to join this thread and post similar, because I have some comments and questions on the Latin American part of it that I think would be too off topic here.

Thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macwr1958 said:

Seems like the Thai government keeps increasing the number of hurdles for expat living. I find it difficult to fight the notion that expats are not really wanted there any more.  I qualify for both retirement and marriage visas but am having second thoughts as the transition date approaches. For all of the money that expats bring in per year, you would think we would be treated a bit better. 

Go with your gut!

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Many people leave their home country to live abroad for various reasons. It changes quite a few plans if the Thai Government mandates health insurance which can only be purchased through Thai companies at ruinous prices, and cannot be obtained by anyone over 70 with pre-existing conditions. Still baffled?

"Ruinous prices"???? Typical thaivisa horror posting ...

K-bank has one with 500K cover @ 18.400 - can you afford that????

????

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Insure/non-life/Pages/k-healthprotect.aspx

Edited by wilailuk
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Insure/non-life/Pages/k-healthprotect.aspx

????

Link is useful and cheaper than others seen. Thx

You also need to have OPD cover not just IPD, so Plan 3 at 18,400 (for a 61-70 year old) wouldn't meet the criteria. 500k IPD yes meets criteria. Zero OPD doesn't meet criteria

Only Plan 4 might meet the criteria: 500 IPD and 30 visits @1.5k being over the 40k needed. For a 61-70 year old there's quite a hike in price to THB 30,600. Assuming they decide it qualifies. (eg The 50k per illness may possibly undermine the IPD part too, once further details are known or they might just decide Kasikorn isn't on some sort of approved providers list. Who knows?)

As you say, not exactly ruinous. Better than some others I've seen

But 30,600 for IPD 500k + OPD 45k is still crap value for money in my book.

Max pay out of 50k per illness IPD won't get you very far on something serious either. So all round a poor policy even if cheaper than some of the other poor value for money policies ????

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[emoji39]

Actually 30,600 to cover the out patient rule, but still a good price relative to others.

I would be tempted except you have to have a WP or married to a Thai, neither of which apply to me.

But does go to show that there are policies out there that won’t break the bank, a little bit of research and I’m sure I can find something similar if, and when, the HI becomes necessary for one and all [emoji51]

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Be honest most of us came here for the girls. With some of the better ones now over 100 GBP even for short time it's just not worth it. Wine is impossible to buy so are many of the western things we like, cheese etc. If i was starting again i certainly wouldn't pick Thailand.

Ofcourse not!  Most of us came there for business.   It ranks well ahead of Belgium, Portugal and Spain.  That is why I prefer Barcelona and they have far superior physiques than businesses in Isan!

An in-and-out 2 week business-trip on Norwegian non-stop from LAX every couple of 3 months and you've had your business needs fulfilled.  Ofocurse, you'd supplement that with Vegas (the true 24/7 business capital of the world).  And if you were compelled to make a pitch for $ per business, you'd still come out ahead as compared to living in 3rd world LOS for business.

It is getting to be a tougher choice for sure than it was before especially when age and medical are a factor.  I don't need uber cheap, but that 40,000 OPD really does increase the prices of some policies quite a bit.  I did some price comparisons on the BUPA website and was OK with the basic prices, but selecting OPD really bumps things up.  That plus the fact that many Americans probably will be still paying for USA Medicare Supplements in case they return home, or plan to visit their homelands occasionally or perhaps for elective treatments or surgeries, really can add up price wise.  Paying for two polices in two countries.  Maybe having to tie up more money in cash accounts in Thailand, if they don't insure, how in the world to satisfy whatever the Thais will mandate, etc.  So much paperwork, and local differences. 

• Like 2

I believe Thailand is set for stage 2, same way spain was a paradise for the first Northern europeens in the late 70 and beginning of 80íes, for then wanish in higher prices and more tourism, and also more wealthy expats bringing the cost up as well. 

I do not think Thailand will change path now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I left my country without considering health insurance because I can take care of my bills, have been doing so without health insurance for the past 15 years and I am sure  there are more like me, please don't generalize, many people have different priorities

Yes, covering ones own bills is a form of self insurance. I was thinking it a pretty darned good option too, certainly no 'exclusions' which might make purchased insurance near useless. 

If ever insurance becomes obligatory for retirement in Thailand, I hope some provision for this is made, like a FD account of the 400,000 baht over and above the 800,000 requirement. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I hope some provision for this is made, like a FD account of the 400,000 baht over and above the 800,000 requirement. 

I don't want to tie anymore money now up in Thailand. I have insurance that covers me for 18 million for admission so why the hell do I need OPD or to put any other money in a bank. As far as I can see, Thailand is now trying to fog itself off as a premier retirement destination. That's something I got to laugh at.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I don't want to tie anymore money now up in Thailand. I have insurance that covers me for 18 million for admission so why the hell do I need OPD or to put any other money in a bank. As far as I can see, Thailand is now trying to fog itself off as a premier retirement destination. That's something I got to laugh at.

Yes, but you misinterpreted. I was hoping for an option for those who are too old or chronically ill to obtain useful insurance would be made available. You can prove insurance covering 400k, but I see the OPD requirement might catch you. My last insurance policy had exclusions, (but no reduction in premium to go along with the reduced cover).  I would not like to have to pay for insurance that would not pay out under many circumstances, hence I would need to be sure I had further money available to cover them. 

Your wants and don't wants probably do not impact the rule makers, as per mine too. 

Edited by jacko45k

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, covering ones own bills is a form of self insurance. I was thinking it a pretty darned good option too, certainly no 'exclusions' which might make purchased insurance near useless. 

If ever insurance becomes obligatory for retirement in Thailand, I hope some provision for this is made, like a FD account of the 400,000 baht over and above the 800,000 requirement. 

Maybe I'm outta whack here.

But unless you live in Bangkok, or CM, the Government hospitals are little more that warehousing you until you die.

Private Hospitals are the only places you are likely to get decent health care, and in that case, for anything serious you better hope you have an insurance policy int ฿5M range, because the cost racks up fast.

To put this in perspective.

I was working in Singapore, my wife called me on Monday saying she had stomach pain. She went to the local hospital, and as is par for the course, without even laying a finger on her I might add, doled out the usual baggie of pills, Monday through Friday.

Friday morning as I'm about to get on a plane, she calls me in tears, can't even stand up she's in so much pain. I tell her to get to Khon Kaen Ram as fast as she can.

By the time I get home she in surgery having a ton of pus removed from her belly from a ruptured fallopian cyst!

The quacks in the local hospital would basically let her die from their ineptitude and incompetence

So take your chances with the local Nakhorn Backofbeyond Government Hospital with that bare bones insurance policy, but pray to God you never have to use it

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Why would they do that?

The Thai government don't seem to care about their own people, they certainly don't care about any foreigner (or his Thai wife and family).

I am a dreamer in a Pollyanna world! Well they did make an accommodation when the 3 or 4 Embassies stopped issuing income letters. 

10 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Private Hospitals are the only places you are likely to get decent health care, and in that case, for anything serious you better hope you have an insurance policy int ฿5M range, because the cost racks up fast.

I live in Pattaya and would likely be using the expensive option. If I chose to keep 5MBaht here for such an eventuality that is my insurance. The alternative is an expensive (100,000 baht/year plus) policy loaded up with exclusions and limits. 

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

chose to keep 5MBaht here for such an eventuality 

Most of my friends could not get hold of 5 million. That's where the house of cards falls down. They live from pension cheque to pension cheque.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

But in Britain you would own your house; here your wife will steal it.  Chiang Mai is cheaper than Manchester because you get breathable air in UK.

The divorce papers say I own my house (well 1/3, the bank owns the other 2/3).

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, totally thaied up said:

Most of my friends could not get hold of 5 million. That's where the house of cards falls down. They live from pension cheque to pension cheque.

Yes, those are the cases I worry about. It is likely they do not work here yet have sufficient to live off... but what would be their options if they got sick? Thailand does not want to be responsible for them.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

but what would be their options if they got sick? Thailand does not want to be responsible for them.

They don't care. They think they will just die. I had a hemorrhaged gall bladder and was very sick. Cost my insurance 220K. I mean, I was very, very sick after the OP and took me a long time to get better. My closest friend could have not paid that type of money out unless he dipped into the 800K visa money but then would have to move out of Thailand as he would lose is visa extension. I know lots of people like this, living pension cheque to pension cheque and they live on the wing of a prayer hoping they never get sick. We are all doing to die one day but I don't want to go out like that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I still plan on moving to Thailand in about 6-9 months. Waiting for my stepson's US citizenship. I have Tricare-For-Life and I think it will satisfy the insurance problem. I pay $1400 for my mortgage and I am sure we can find housing for less than 43,000 baht. Right now my Thai wife is not planning on working but we may change that based on need. I will have about 110,000 baht a month coming in and plan on living on 90,000 baht a month. 

• Like 1