Residents of luxury condo want action as foreigners allowed to stay on daily rent

webfact

3 hours ago, owenm said:

Last week I stayed in a family condo for 3 persons directly next to Central Festival in Pattaya for 4 nights.. Advertised as 4 star but lucky to be a 3 star.. Unreno about 20 Yr old, fittings showing their wear.. Was rented on Agoda through a company downstairs handling only rentals.

I also thought these weren't legal in Thailand unless min 1 mth. I didn't have many options for 3 adult persons in 1 room. Most hotels required renting 2 rooms so choices were limited.. Did have access to a large pool and only 150m from Beach Road.. 

yes, that condo is VERY well advertised on airBNB,by  several different owners...i have never stayed there, but wouldnt like to own a condo,in that situation.  

there are numerous comments about 'noisy chinese'-- i havent experienced that...but in  my area we have 'aggresive rude russians. its not very pleasant living amongst them..fortunately, there are a lot less now, than 2 or 3 yrs ago...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

My wife and I rented a condo in Jomtien for two weeks in January. We have rented another in Hua Hin for two weeks next January. Certainly have no interest in staying longer nor buying. Does that make us bad people?

Just be aware you are breaking the law in Thailand in doing so. At the moment it only seems the condo / villa owners who are being cracked down on. At some point someone may decided to extend that to those renting.

12 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Just be aware you are breaking the law in Thailand in doing so. At the moment it only seems the condo / villa owners who are being cracked down on. At some point someone may decided to extend that to those renting.

What is the crackdown you are talking about?  Two people in Hua Hin were minimally fined a year ago.  Any other reports of a single prosecution despite what must be thousands of short term rentals per day?  Maybe I missed one? 

And what law is it exactly that a short term renter is breaking?

13 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

How would you and the rest of the narcissists here react if you owned a condo and the guy next door decided to raise chickens, or pigs, or introduce any other anti-social element that infringes on your peace of mind, and property value...

Do you even own property?

Own property in Thailand? No, definitely not...and feel sorry for those that do!

15 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

My wife and I rented a condo in Jomtien for two weeks in January. We have rented another in Hua Hin for two weeks next January. Certainly have no interest in staying longer nor buying. Does that make us bad people?

Not bad, just undesirable. You two week rental may be wonderful people, most are not.

15 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Not bad people but you are breaking the Hotel Act.

8 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

that's where photographic/video evidence plus notification to immigration comes handy..

You really don't don't know what you're dealing with do you?

Seriously, can you tell one Chinese from another? Did you know it's a common practice to pass one passport round all the members of the same sex in an extended family? Did you know there's 270m people with the name Wang in China? How are you going to get a positive ID in those circumstances when no-one speaks Mandarin?

If you do speak Mandarin they'll just drop into their local dialect, which I'm willing to believe no more than 20000 people on the planet understand. There's almost 200 radically different dialects in China.

So what are you going to say to Immigration? 'That Chinese person in the photograph?' Probably named Wang? Who signed the contract? Have they written Minnie Mouse in Cantonese? Hey! Anyone here reads handwritten Bai Hua?

This isn't a job for Gumshoe Arizona mate. The toothpaste is out of the tube.

But I do have to say, your faith in Thai Immigration holding up the law to support grumpy old expats who haven't seen a party in 15 years is touching. No-one else on here seems to have much faith in Thai Immigration at all.

I am pretty sure this is happening on a large scale, or attempted to be done.  Chinese buy a property and rent it out as much and as often as possible.  Not quite like a few decades ago where a falang bought a place, used it a lot, maybe had some friends come and go from his homeleand a few times a year.  Now people are buying them purely as rentals and investment in real estate

23 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Maybe not "bad people" but certainly breaking the law.

50 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

Maybe not "bad people" but certainly breaking the law.

I don't think the customer is actually guilty of an offense under Thai law it is the owner or Housemaster. A few years ago it was reported maybe half the hotels and guesthouses in Chiang Mai don't even have licenses. Do you ask to see the Hotels license you booked before you check in? 

14 hours ago, Elkski said:

i have used Air bnb exclusively my last 3 trips. much better value than a hotel.   a good condo for 1200-1500 baht in thonglor... compare to a small hotel room for 1700-1500.  ok so I need to make my own coffee and toast.  I'm sure there are a few owners who are pics and noisy.  I am sure I am a good tenant.  it is such a waste to have all these unused condo rooms.   I hardly see any regular owners come and go..  the pool is usually empty. the weight room same.  

Except it is illegal and a major source of irritation to those that invested for a quiet life - not one to be shared with anyone who cares to rock up.

"it is such a waste to have all these unused condo rooms" - same attitude as squatters!

Empty pools and weight rooms - perfect, that is what we paid for, to be used by the OWNERS as and when they please.

Why do some people find this so hard to understand?

On 5/15/2019 at 9:19 AM, SpokaneAl said:

The Thai Law says 1 month up, than AGODA,BOOKING.COM and others trigger to brake this Law. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:30 AM, JTXR said:

My condo, which I rent by the year, has a big poster in the lobby of each of the two buildings saying short-term rentals are illegal.  Nevertheless, the number of short-term "visitors" is continually increasing.  I can find two listed on AirBnB, and God only knows how many are listed on the equivalent Chinese sites.  The inability (or unwillingness) of police and condo management to enforce the law is at the top of the list of reasons I would never buy a condo in Thailand.

You are a wise man...buying a condo or investing in anything, organic or inorganic in Thailand is suicidal...akin to Russian roulette unless you are connected very well with a Thai....even then, I would not feel safe.   

Take the rose colored glasses off, they distort reality. 

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

My condo reports illegal renters (under 30 days) to immigration. Hope they spend the rest of their holiday in jail. There are thousands of hotels in Thailand. USE THEM.

Sounds ideal, yet how does "condo" management know who these "illegal renters" are?  Ssy they show up at 8pm after management office is closed, and are let in by owner or have a key hey picked up from owner already.   You wouldn't know until they leave before the legal 30 day period that they are illegal renters.

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Sounds ideal, yet how does "condo" management know who these "illegal renters" are?  Ssy they show up at 8pm after management office is closed, and are let in by owner or have a key hey picked up from owner already.   You wouldn't know until they leave before the legal 30 day period that they are illegal renters.

Complaints about noise, litter, strangers gaining admittance, will soon expose them - if it is a quality building.

On the other hand, if it is a cheap-ass place that no-one is invested in for a home they may be able to get away with it but who wants to own a rathole like that?

1 hour ago, ParadiseLost said:

Complaints about noise, litter, strangers gaining admittance, will soon expose them - if it is a quality building.

On the other hand, if it is a cheap-ass place that no-one is invested in for a home they may be able to get away with it but who wants to own a rathole like that?

True, but most of the temporary stay chinese, russians, and a few indians where I am at only stay 2-3 nights from what I can tell.   

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

It is true. I am not even stating a position, just stating as you that for anyone with half a brain these regulations are not enforceable. 

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

My condo reports illegal renters (under 30 days) to immigration. Hope they spend the rest of their holiday in jail. There are thousands of hotels in Thailand. USE THEM.

So what does immigration do to these so-called "illegal renters" then? Threaten to not extend visas? That would work if they are trying to stay longer term if they are just booking an illegal AbnB for a few days, if they are short term what charge would they be jailed on for the rest of their holiday? They are mostly temporary visitors in these AirBnBs who stay a few days maybe never to return. Nothing illegal about renting more than 30 days.

The liable culprits under Thai law are the owners or housemasters of these Condos, not temporary visitors who may never return.

13 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

So what does immigration do to these so-called "illegal renters" then? Threaten to not extend visas? That would work if they are trying to stay longer term if they are just booking an illegal AbnB for a few days, if they are short term what charge would they be jailed on for the rest of their holiday? They are mostly temporary visitors in these AirBnBs who stay a few days maybe never to return. Nothing illegal about renting more than 30 days.

The liable culprits under Thai law are the owners or housemasters of these Condos, not temporary visitors who may never return.

In our Condo, the two Thai owners of multiple units rent them out using Booking.com and other similar sites (including their own made up companies). They are all illegal and there is no license here. The renters all stay for less than a month. I think if Immigration and revenue personnel rock up and kick people out/question them, on a regular basis, there may be some very adverse feedback re the Condo on these booking sites. Same goes with Air B&B I guess. To me, that is the most effective response from the legit Unit Owners. Make sure that anyone looking to stay at your Condo will reject it out of hand. That way the rogue condo owners will be beaten at their own game.

Does anyone know if the likes of Booking.com and Hotels.com have an obligation to ensure that the "hotels" they sell/promote are actually legit?

Cheers RtS

On 5/16/2019 at 12:48 AM, Skallywag said:

They pry for info when they see a new face in the hallway or going in. Common questions include who you know there and how long your staying. Usually under the guise of a friendly or concerned neighbor type thing.

It happens all the time believe it or not, you just dont realize it until later why people are asking.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:21 AM, Rod the Sod said:

In our Condo, the two Thai owners of multiple units rent them out using Booking.com and other similar sites (including their own made up companies). They are all illegal and there is no license here. The renters all stay for less than a month. I think if Immigration and revenue personnel rock up and kick people out/question them, on a regular basis, there may be some very adverse feedback re the Condo on these booking sites. Same goes with Air B&B I guess. To me, that is the most effective response from the legit Unit Owners. Make sure that anyone looking to stay at your Condo will reject it out of hand. That way the rogue condo owners will be beaten at their own game.

Does anyone know if the likes of Booking.com and Hotels.com have an obligation to ensure that the "hotels" they sell/promote are actually legit?

Cheers RtS

Booking.com send out a conformation code to the address by post that you have listed thats it, Airbnb do nothing not sure about others

On 5/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, Maverell said:

not-hotels.jpg

this so called condos, are in a size what i call a dogbox., they not planed for living.

live in a box???

but for holidays up to 3 month they ok

they are a worthless and dead investments if cannot rent

the state can requiere taxes, but the rest up to owner.this are privat owned units

i dont and never will own a box, their so many condos out, in good size, and shortterm tendands dont disturb anytime

but wh0 buy a box in a 1000 box cage, must know what him buy

... By the way I HATE denunciation and signs like that incl their small brained suporters..ttoeay they like that..and tomorow the same small brainers...shout loud to other restrictions,what them affect

.,pattaya on the way down the hill

Some of these places are just like living in a brothel. Be careful when signing contracts or buying. Or even renting short term.

I worked 20 minutes from Pattaya so Naklua & North Pattaya was my area to choose to live. During my 15 years here I discovered many condo complexes ( old or new) will be selective who they will rent out to and do not publicly advertise. (Opposite of the “View Talay” approach) Showing my work permit helped along with being dressed up a bit (no shorts, singlet, & flip flops) when visiting the manager of these complexes. I found out going in person was better than calling. Also when I was shown a condo available to rent ( long term) I also asked to see it at night. I was always fortunate to find a quiet place... and I certainly stayed away from the cheap rentals that catered to short time renters.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived