Thai passport will expire/be invalid during UK visitor visa period

My wifes Thai passport expires in early June next year, we will be going to the UK soon (early July-ish) with her on a 6 month visa and she will leave the UK end of Dec but this would mean she would not be able to fly as she would have less than 6 months valid on her passport.

Im thinking we can go and get a new passport for her but will they allow getting one so early? If they dont allow it what would her options be? I guess getting the visa with the old passport and then getting a new one while in the UK and it seems you then have to carry the old passport with the visa stamp in with you:

https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Is London the only place to get a new Thai passport in the UK or will all the regional consulates do it?

Thai's can enter the country with a expired passport.

It is the same for most counties when returning to your home country.

The problem in many cases is if you need your passport to be valid to leave the country you are in.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thai's can enter the country with a expired passport.

It is the same for most counties when returning to your home country.

The problem in many cases is if you need your passport to be valid to leave the country you are in.

When exiting the UK your passport is only checked at the check-in desk as there is no passport control when you leave the UK. I travelled to Thailand with my Thai son on his expired Thai passport. The check-in girl queried it with a supervisor but was quickly told it is not a problem. I personally would prefer to renew before travelling Tho'.

A Passport expires on the day it expires (valid until date) and not a day (nor 6 months) before. The 6 months validity is a demand for ENTRY into SOME countries, not all. Most countries demand only that the passport be valid for the duration of the intended stay - as does the UK:

NATIONAL THAILAND (TH)
DESTINATION UNITED KINGDOM (GB)

VISA DESTINATION UNITED KINGDOM (GB)

...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......
PASSPORT REQUIRED.
- PASSPORTS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED FOR ENTRY MUST BE
  VALID FOR THE PERIOD OF INTENDED STAY.

As you pointed out earlier there is no need to transfer the visa, just carry both passports and show at check in, at the gate and on arrival at the UK Border, no need to show Thai Immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived