BANGKOK 21 June 2019 04:16
soistalker

Do you know anyone who got AIDS and died in Thailand?

I know very few people in Thailand despite having spent significant periods of time here since 2000.

That being said, I knew two guys who died of AIDS in Pattaya. One guy was an Isreali who used to rent motorbikes near Soi Bukkao. Another was a Frenchman who rented apartments in Jomtien. 

Anyone have stories?

I know someone who contracted it. Its much more prevalent than what you realise here, paricularly in the villages. Really though there is no reason to die from it anymore. The meds they have now practically reduce symptoms to zero and a normal life can be led. Thais get free meds, although often they dont adhere to them. They feel good right? Theyre not sick. Costs a farang I beleive around 10k thb a month for meds

• Thanks 1

I knew a couple of bar girls who went home to their villages (CM) to die.

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I knew a couple of bar girls who went home to their villages (CM) to die.

Yes, when I lived in a village in Khon Kaen a very long time ago there was a house occupied by 4 lady boys financed by a wealthy Swiss bloke. Three of them eventually died ( so I was told by several people ) the other one moved away so don't know what happened to him. I did have a few chats with them when passing their party house and they were pretty friendly to everyone. Not much was known about AIDS back then so I guess they took no preventative measures.

• Sad 1

I think many Thais are in denial or afraid to get tested and start the medication. It is this 'stupidity' (for want of a better word) that will kill them. I have heard of a number of Thais dying of Aids, they seem to accept it as their fate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I know someone who contracted it. Its much more prevalent than what you realise here, paricularly in the villages. Really though there is no reason to die from it anymore. The meds they have now practically reduce symptoms to zero and a normal life can be led. Thais get free meds, although often they dont adhere to them. They feel good right? Theyre not sick. Costs a farang I beleive around 10k thb a month for meds

Will the insurance policies all we retirees are now supposed to invest in cover these meds?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes, when I lived in a village in Khon Kaen a very long time ago there was a house occupied by 4 lady boys financed by a wealthy Swiss bloke. Three of them eventually died ( so I was told by several people ) the other one moved away so don't know what happened to him. I did have a few chats with them when passing their party house and they were pretty friendly to everyone. Not much was known about AIDS back then so I guess they took no preventative measures.

sad they left their buddies behind

1 hour ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I think many Thais are in denial or afraid to get tested and start the medication. It is this 'stupidity' (for want of a better word) that will kill them. I have heard of a number of Thais dying of Aids, they seem to accept it as their fate.

kind a like "no seatbelts" mentality

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, soistalker said:

Anyone have stories?

My best pal was medically evacuated back to the UK with pneumonia last year.

Immediately diagnosed with AIDs in the UK, since then in and out of hospital with every disease it's possible to catch.

He's been in a UK hospital for the last 4 months with Septicaemia and Bone cancer.

Under 60 years old, it could have been me, we used to wander all over SEA together in search of 'adventure'.

Almost certainly caught from a bar/gogo/massage lady in Loi Kroh area of Chiang Mai.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1