Do you know anyone who got AIDS and died in Thailand?

soistalker

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, erymax said:

Pneumocystis Pneumonia is a specific infection 99% affecting HIV/AIDS infected people with low CD+ count. MDR TB has mostly fatal outcome. I have doubt you have medical background. 

I am fully versed in PCP. If you are a healthcare professional why are you scaremongering on here? There are a plethora of rare diseases that anyone can acquire regardless of their HIV status. As a professional one would think that you would state fact that undermines stigma and promotes responsible sexuality especially in regards to regular HIV testing.

My wife lived in an upcountry village back in the '90s.  She said that a lot of young men and women would come home from Bangkok or Pattaya infected with HIV. 

There was someone coming around to collect money for a funeral almost every week.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Also to  BritManToo , your friend back in UK is suffering from full blown AIDS. If he had HIV and took the meds it would never have progressed to full-blown AIDS which there is no cure for.

He didn't think he was at risk, so never got tested, he didn't do guys or drug addicts.

I have been tested, as I go to the hospital with my 'new love' every time I move a girl in.

And my wife and I were both tested when she was pregnant 7 years back.

They said he could have been infected 15 years ago.
Exactly he and other expats should get tested.

I was reading a thread the other day when a guy says he's been going bareback for a long time and claims he never caught HIV, but then says he hasn't been tested for 30 years

11 minutes ago, erymax said:

MDR TB has mostly fatal outcome. I have doubt you have medical background. 

Multiple Drug Resistant tuberculosis are you kidding me? The conversation is about recovering from an AIDS diagnosis. The vast majority of people treated with advanced HIV will have a full recovery. You are throwing a red herring into the conversation.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Will the insurance policies all we retirees are now supposed to invest in cover these meds?

AFAIK, Thai private health insurance policies, even the better ones, usually exclude both STDs in general and HIV/AIDS specifically.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

He didn't think he was at risk, so never got tested, he didn't do guys or drug addicts.

I have been tested, as I go to the hospital with my 'new love' every time I move a girl in.

And my wife and I were both tested when she was pregnant 7 years back.

It is in fact quite difficult for a guy to get even unprotected. Continued reckless behaviour increases your risk sure but I wonder about the guys who contract it and say they don't do IV drugs or have never had anl sex. 

45 minutes ago, SoNowWhat said:

Multiple Drug Resistant tuberculosis are you kidding me? The conversation is about recovering from an AIDS diagnosis. The vast majority of people treated with advanced HIV will have a full recovery. You are throwing a red herring into the conversation.

Advanced HIV? That seems like a strange terminology? Advanced HIV is AIDs isn't it? I was under the assumption provided treatment was received before CD4 levels fell below 200, you had a good chance of survival and a normal life providing meds were taken religiously every day. Once levels fall between 200 the infection is classed as AIDs and I thought then treatable but will result in an early death. 

You guys realise HIV and AIDs are two stages of the virus. Not the same thing. HIV is the first step. AIDs is the second and usually final stage.

Not sure if anyone aware but most Thais return to their home Amphur to receive medication. That is their designated hospital and the only place they can receive free treatment even if they live for eg in Pattaya they need to go back up country to get their drugs. They can move their medical but for some reason don't. Same as they can lodge their votes by absentee but for some reason all travel back to their home towns 100's of kilometres to vote. 

Problem is many of the country areas have a designated area for these patients. Sometimes it might be an infectious disease clinic at the hospital but most seem to know its the HIV area. So someone going for treatment, waiting outside the clinic and the neighbours walk past. What are you doing here? Also some hospitals a long way from home and I think in the smaller hospitals they will only give three months supply. So it could be quite a trek for someone to get there. Questions about where you are going etc. The stigma particularly up country is quite bad so the person feels and looks healthy. They simply stop going to get their meds. Embarrassment and loss of face a very real fear here.

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, Thai private health insurance policies, even the better ones, usually exclude both STDs in general and HIV/AIDS specifically.

I think all medical policies exclude AIDs. Has to be treated by your countries free medical services or at your own expense. I think in Thailand meds at least 10k THB a month

2 hours ago, SoNowWhat said:

Funny that? Treatment for HIV is a once every six months doctors appointment and routine blood work, done in the ID DEPARTMENT...so how would you have seen them? How could you possibly have known what treatment they were recieving? And as treatment is free for locals why would they be working to pay for it?

She stayed with my GF's sister and just showed up every now and then in the city and I did notice lots of medication in the room and just asked the GF what all that was about and got the answer .

I do believe that medication is subsidised , rather then free and quite possibly the village didnt have the means to treat her .

Thais get assigned the local hospital and they get there treatment there , I dunno , maybe she came to the city to get specialized treatment and maybe she had to earn money to support herself in the village , BUT , I really dont know , I didnt ask any questions 

not Thailand but I can remember AIDS sweeping through the entertainment industry in Hollywood during the 80's and 90's.

Gay guys were really scared.

Clients asking if they could edit a video to show at their funerals. ????

My real estate agent dying. not much you could do. 

20 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Advanced HIV? That seems like a strange terminology? Advanced HIV is AIDs isn't it? I was under the assumption provided treatment was received before CD4 levels fell below 200, you had a good chance of survival and a normal life providing meds were taken religiously every day. Once levels fall between 200 the infection is classed as AIDs and I thought then treatable but will result in an early death. 

You guys realise HIV and AIDs are two stages of the virus. Not the same thing. HIV is the first step. AIDs is the second and usually final stage.

Yes the terminology is changing because of the severe stigma attached to AIDS.  The same as the term 'to be HIV infected' is now HIV positive or diagnosed with HIV. And yes as was pointed out earlier HIV and AIDS are not the same thing. HIV without any treatment can lead to a condition commonly referred to as AIDS when CD4 counts fall below 200. This is wholly preventable through regular testing and prompt treatment of HIV. Even after an AIDS/advanced HIV diagnosis most people will return to health.

According to my GF, there were a lot of deaths from HIV in her village ten years ago. With the medications available now, hardly any.

HIV transmission from a HIV positive female to a male ( bareback sex ) is about one thousand times less likely to happen than when it's a HIV positive male. Unless it is anal sex, in which case the risk is equivalent and much higher.

2 minutes ago, SoNowWhat said:

Yes the terminology is changing because of the severe stigma attached to AIDS.  The same as the term 'to be HIV infected' is now HIV positive or diagnosed with HIV. And yes as was pointed out earlier HIV and AIDS or not the same thing. HIV without any treatment can lead to a condition commonly referred to as AIDS when CD4 counts fall below 200. This is wholly preventable through regular testing and prompt treatment of HIV. Even after an AIDS/advanced HIV diagnosis most people will return to health.

The Thais simply do not get tested, same as they never service their vehicles. If it's not broken. There is no way your average Thai will pay 500-1000 baht for a HIV test

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I knew a couple of bar girls who went home to their villages (CM) to die.

Many throw their ID's in the rubbish. Rent a short time hotel out of town and hang themselves.

The female Thai cook at the first hotel that I built died of AIDs.  AFAIK, she wasn't promiscuous, had the occasional Thai and foreign boyfriend.  She didn't go to the hospital until she was very ill, too late by then.

Very nice, cheery woman, cooked great food.  I went to her funeral about 5 years ago ????

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I know someone who contracted it. Its much more prevalent than what you realise here, paricularly in the villages. Really though there is no reason to die from it anymore. The meds they have now practically reduce symptoms to zero and a normal life can be led. Thais get free meds, although often they dont adhere to them. They feel good right? Theyre not sick. Costs a farang I beleive around 10k thb a month for meds

The cost of medicine e.g at anonymous clinic is between 500 and 20000 thai baht a month depending on the drugs used. There is a large variety of protocols now. For Thai people they can be obtained through social security (if any), 30 thb scheme or self-financed. 

2 hours ago, erymax said:

Pneumocystis Pneumonia is a specific infection 99% affecting HIV/AIDS infected people with low CD+ count. MDR TB has mostly fatal outcome. I have doubt you have medical background. 

The point being that most hiv positive people are on medication nowadays, have decent cd4 counts and are not at risk for the infections you so sensationally try to describe.

The cost of medicine e.g at anonymous clinic is between 500 and 20000 thai baht a month depending on the drugs used. There is a large variety of protocols now. For Thai people they can be obtained through social security (if any), 30 thb scheme or self-financed. 
Pills for a farang in Thailand 500 baht? Are you sure? The most common drug now an all in one pill. They used to get 3 different ones taken 8pm every night. Makes them pretty groggy too

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Once a friend who is a rice farmer asked me if I would like to join him for a mission. We delivered about 50 bags of rice as donation to a HIV hospital that was managed by monks. 

There were many patients. It was a really sad situation seeing many men and women who struggle for life. 

He donated some cash as well and then we left with a memory that I never forget. 

My Thai brother-in-law 'played the field' and found out he was HIV positive during a routine blood test in hospital. Unfortunately, he had already infected his wife. They both developed AIDS and died in the mid-nineties leaving a very young daughter whom my wife brought up as her own. The good news is that the girl is HIV negative. The bad news is that her mother's family will have nothing to do with her because, as they see it, her father killed their daughter.

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Pills for a farang in Thailand 500 baht? Are you sure? The most common drug now an all in one pill. They used to get 3 different ones taken 8pm every night. Makes them pretty groggy too

I believe the price is around 2k-3k in Chiang Mai, but the price is always dropping (probably as the volume of sales increases).

11 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

My Thai brother-in-law 'played the field' and found out he was HIV positive during a routine blood test in hospital. Unfortunately, he had already infected his wife.

........ or she infected him, how could you possibly tell which person came first?

Archived