Nakhon Si Thammarat: Zoo hits back at online criticism - tourists are dirty not the monkeys

webfact

Nakhon Si Thammarat: Zoo hits back at online criticism - tourists are dirty not the monkeys

6pm.jpg

Caption: The animals are fine

Workers at a municipal zoo in southern Thailand have hit back at what they say is unwarranted criticism that their monkeys are living in filthy and unhygienic conditions.

And they have blamed tourist for the problems at the Thung Tha Lat zoo in Nakhon Si Thammarat. 

People online had said that the enclosures were dirty and full of trash. 

Uthai Sapphakitphon, a helper at the zoo, said that was because tourist visitors toss food and bottles of water at the monkeys who don't have the ability or concern to clean up after themselves. 

He seemed to be complaining about Thai tourists as no one mentioned this was the habit of foreign visitors, notes Thaivisa.

Uthai said that before the zoo opens each day enclosures are thoroughly cleaned and water in pools is replaced. 

The animals are well cared for at the zoo, he said. 

Source: Sanook

11 minutes ago, webfact said:
monkeys who don't have the ability or concern to clean up after themselves. 

He seemed to be complaining about Thai tourists

Maybe the tourists should be caged and the monkeys can throw THEM food and water!

I've been to this zoo in Nakhon Si Thammarat twice (last time in march 2018). There's no admission fee even for foreigners. Mostly it's not too bad and I didn't notice there being any issue with trash or dirtiness. BUT I have to say that the primate enclosures saddened me greatly. Bare concrete cells with nothing inside except for the solitary macaques. Often in poor health and clearly suffering mentally. Pacing up and down, round and round. One male monkey even jerked himself off. Unbelievable. 

20180313_141702.jpg

On 5/15/2019 at 1:09 PM, spaceshuttle said:

I never left any zoo or crocodile farm in LOS anything less than disgusted and never go anymore. 

Agreed, also my experience on Borneo , with the exception of wild life reserves, which of course where creatures are kept in cages 

•  
  •  

6pm.jpg

Caption: The animals are fine

Workers at a municipal zoo in southern Thailand have hit back at what they say is unwarranted criticism that their monkeys are living in filthy and unhygienic conditions.

And they have blamed tourist for the problems at the Thung Tha Lat zoo in Nakhon Si Thammarat. 

People online had said that the enclosures were dirty and full of trash. 

Uthai Sapphakitphon, a helper at the zoo, said that was because tourist visitors toss food and bottles of water at the monkeys who don't have the ability or concern to clean up after themselves. 

Perhaps they could get them some mops and buckets and broom, perhaps a Dyson and show them Martha Stewart videos

I must say Zoos in Thailand should all be closed, how Animals can be kept in captivity is beyond me.

One of the most disgusting aspects of Mankind is their arrogance in thinking they control wildlife, nature and the planet, when in fact its always been the other-way-round !

Archived