Transportation Yupparaj Wittayalai School

DrPhibes

So, I have a 6th grade nephew who has blown away the Issan Schools and has moved in with us here in CM (San Phi Suea area) and has started to attend Yupparaj Wittayalai School.  The school is located just off center from the middle of the moat in old Chiang Mai.  Remarkably, for a school that has something like 4000 kids, they have no organized transportation service.  Have tried to see if a message board or any kind of parent organized Songtail/car service to no avail.  Anyone familiar with this school and can point me to such a service?  Thanks in advance!

All schools have buses. They don't work for the school but are independent. Usually there is an old guy who works in the school directing traffic, locking up gates, etc. who will know all the bus drivers and supply you with the name and number of the driver that goes to your area. But be warned that living where you do - your student may need to be picked up at 6:00 A.M. and not return home until 6:00-7:00 P.M; sitting on the bus for as long as 2 hours each way while other students on the route are picked up. The farther out - the first to be picked up and last to be dropped off.

Also, these bus drivers are notorious for driving dangerously, talking on their mobiles while they drive, etc. Also, every year many (yes many) students die in buses because the careless driver locks up the bus with the windows closed while a student is asleep in the back or something and the children die from the heat/lack of air/water.

Most parents have own transportation in Thailand.

You can try to hire a private Thai worker or your neighbour who is willing to pick up your child to/from school with a certain fees of course.

5 hours ago, elektrified said:

All schools have buses. They don't work for the school but are independent. Usually there is an old guy who works in the school directing traffic, locking up gates, etc. who will know all the bus drivers and supply you with the name and number of the driver that goes to your area. But be warned that living where you do - your student may need to be picked up at 6:00 A.M. and not return home until 6:00-7:00 P.M; sitting on the bus for as long as 2 hours each way while other students on the route are picked up. The farther out - the first to be picked up and last to be dropped off.

Also, these bus drivers are notorious for driving dangerously, talking on their mobiles while they drive, etc. Also, every year many (yes many) students die in buses because the careless driver locks up the bus with the windows closed while a student is asleep in the back or something and the children die from the heat/lack of air/water.

Can you show proof of this?

30 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Of what?

"Also, every year many (yes many) students die in buses because the careless driver locks up the bus with the windows closed while a student is asleep in the back or something and the children die from the heat/lack of air/water."

Ya, the problem is I have two other teen kids of my own that attend NIS and usually need to be picked up at different times due to after school activities.   Just picking everyone up today after school was 2:45 worth of gas traffic and anguish mostly trying to get in and out of central CM.  May have to put NIS teens or maybe everyone on Grab if I can.  Thanks again everyone for input.

Congratulations to your nephew! As I recall if you live outside the school’s catchment area in town, then you must do quite well in a highly competitive exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 5/15/2019 at 7:17 PM, jmd8800 said:

"Also, every year many (yes many) students die in buses because the careless driver locks up the bus with the windows closed while a student is asleep in the back or something and the children die from the heat/lack of air/water."

Do you watch the evening news in Thailand? If not, just peruse the news section on this website. Every year it happens a few times and it's big news and debated on every channel for 2-3 days after the incident.

Archived