Getting a multi non-O visa at Savanakhet

Where are you travelling from? From Bangkok, I suggest an overnight bus to Mukdahan (because the timing is near perfect), international bus from Mukdahan to Savannakhet, then using Nok Air Fly-Ride service for your return from Mukdahan the next day.

• Like 1

I think the arrival is too late to apply same day for the visa. Have to be at the embassy at 11 am and collect the visa next day at 2pm. Take the bus to border/bridge from Busterminal in Mukdahan. Just try from Border on Laos site with a Samlor. The embassy is about 10/15 Minutes from the border

• Like 1

The overnight buses from Bangkok typically arrive at about 6:00 am to 8:00 am. As someone else said, 9:00 am is cutting things very fine, especially if the bus is even a few minutes late. If you really arrive at 9:00 am sharp, and just miss the international bus, you can take a taxi to the bridge and catch up with the bus there. Find a way of arriving earlier if possible. Otherwise, have a contingency plan of staying an extra night in Savanakhet.

Well noted. Thank you. Think will go from Bangkok if i fail in my last attempt next week.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The overnight buses from Bangkok typically arrive at about 6:00 am to 8:00 am. As someone else said, 9:00 am is cutting things very fine, especially if the bus is even a few minutes late. If you really arrive at 9:00 am sharp, and just miss the international bus, you can take a taxi to the bridge and catch up with the bus there. Find a way of arriving earlier if possible. Otherwise, have a contingency plan of staying an extra night in Savanakhet.

There's a bus every 30 minutes, I usually arrive on a Monday or Tuesday and plan on staying a couple of nights, it's a bit dull no reason to stay more than two nights. No need to make any advance bookings for the return journey, plenty of busses back.

When I go to HCMC I usually stay for a week, Saigon is a lot of fun, no need to rush back.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's a bus every 30 minutes.

Sure, but the 9:30 am bus would almost certainly be too late for him to be at the consulate by 11:00. Taking the 9:00 am bus, he will usually just make it.

Are any overnight buses proper sleepers? i.e. flat or almost flat chairs/beds

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, BritTim said:

There are some comfortable VIP buses from Bangkok, but (as I recall) no fully fledged sleepers. That is why I have elected in the past to use fly-ride service for my return. However, it is now about two years since I last went so the available buses will have changed to some extent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

VIP are the best option I found.  The "Transport Company" buses look good, but terrible legroom on that particular route the last time I went (seats are in a sort of "box" thing).  Having tried several companies, the best combo of legroom and service was the Sahaphan top of the line VIP with 3-across seating - selecting one of the seats "by itself" across the isle from the pair.  Get your ticket a couple hours early, so you are assured one of the "by itself" seats.  Those seats do recline pretty far back.

• Like 1

No. Some buses are only three to a row and recline to about 45 degrees.

Really....there is no need to make a mad rush of it ( unless you have to get back to a job ) . If you chill and take a bit longer it's more of a holiday mini break than a grueling obstacle course.

You can head to Khon Kaen for night 1 . Night 2 in Mukdahan.
Morning cross over and submit passport , night 3 Savannakhet.
Next afternoon collect passport and back to Khon Kaen arrive about 6.30 for night 4. Morning back to Pattaya , well traveled and not exhausted. I used to take the wife as she liked to travel a bit.  Thats only 1 extra night since the kick and scramble method involves sleeping on a bus twice plus 1 night in Savann.

Yes, that’s a way to look at it. Besides at 73....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Hanon said:

By the way how much costs the multiple non-O visa, and in what currency do we pay?

In Savannakhet the fee is 5000 baht and they only accept baht there.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, Denim said:

No. Some buses are only three to a row and recline to about 45 degrees.

Really....there is no need to make a mad rush of it ( unless you have to get back to a job ) . If you chill and take a bit longer it's more of a holiday mini break than a grueling obstacle course.

You can head to Khon Kaen for night 1 . Night 2 in Mukdahan.

Morning cross over and submit passport , night 3 Savannakhet.

Next afternoon collect passport and back to Khon Kaen arrive about 6.30 for night 4. Morning back to Pattaya , well traveled and not exhausted. I used to take the wife as she liked to travel a bit.  Thats only 1 extra night since the kick <deleted> and scramble method involves sleeping on a bus twice plus 1 night in Savann.

This gets my vote. O/N on buses was a thing I did 35 years ago. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, John Hanon said:

By the way how much costs the multiple non-O visa, and in what currency do we pay?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You usually pay in your home currency. It will be somewhere in the region of 6000 baht, based on it being £150 in the UK.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You usually pay in your home currency. It will be somewhere in the region of 6000 baht, based on it being £150 in the UK.

Incorrect.

See post # 16 above for the correct amount.

And the correct currency.

And it's been like this for years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...