BANGKOK 23 May 2019 01:35
Lacessit

The Procrustean bed for retirees.

At age 76, I am unlikely to get the new mandated health insurance IF it passes into law. AND Immigration insists on applying it to retirement visa extensions of stay. I have top level private health cover in Australia, which is presumably worth nothing in the eyes of Thai officialdom. One size fits all.

So that raises a few questions, such as:

1/ Can I get a different visa, and go back to border hopping? Without insurance and the 800K deposit BS?

2/ If my extension of stay is denied, how long would I have to get out of Thailand?

3/ What kind of lead time should I allow to sell my possessions here? E.g. Car, Scooter etc.?

4/ Most importantly, what is the best way to remove the cash I have here back to Australia? Or to a more retiree-friendly country?

Constructive suggestions welcome.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I’m with scuba above on this. You could try to find a couple of countries nearby that you are happy to live in, and just jump around on tourist visas. Get shot of possessions and live out of a 20kg suitcase ... liberating.

But if that is too much hassle at your age I’d guess Australia is best. Not a bad place to live.

Edited by AlexRich
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

...I have top level private health cover in Australia, which is presumably worth nothing in the eyes of Thai officialdom...

From yesterday's news articles I understand that your Australian health insurance would have to provide cover for treatment in Thailand. If it does not, your presumption is correct.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I’m with scuba above on this. You could try to find a couple of countries nearby that you are happy to live in, and just jump around on tourist visas. Get shot of possessions and live out of a 20kg suitcase ... liberating.

But if that is too much hassle at your age I’d guess Australia is best. Not a bad place to live.

Thanks for the input. It's not a bad place to live if you have your own roof over your head. Renting there is very expensive, although I have considered the option of buying a mobile home.

i was not aware one could get six months on a tourist visa alone. Would that involve a border hop every 90 days, or simply doing an extension?

Although premiums not cheap, AA have a thread and you can still get cover at your age if indeed it is ever required

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Non immigrant "O-A" long stay visa. Obtained in ones home country. Multiple entry. Not to be confused with non o based on such things as retirement, marriage, dependent Thai child etc. 

I have been under the impression the Non-immigrant O-A is the starting point of the retirement visa, and ensuing extensions of stay. So it depends on whether Thai officialdom interprets the medical insurance requirement as flowing on from the original O-A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Although premiums not cheap, AA have a thread and you can still get cover at your age if indeed it is ever required

Just checked and no. Duration of travel is too long, only available to persons 70 or less.

In addition, I think the Thai bureaucracy is specifying the medical insurance must be purchased through THAI insurance companies. That makes it even harder to read the fine print, no?