BANGKOK
Lacessit

The Procrustean bed for retirees.

I've just done my extension based on my O-A visa. I have 1 year to think about this. First thing now is i can't touch any part of the B800k for 3 months then must maintain B400k. Once this insurance requirement becomes clearer, I'll make a decision to change to a SETV or METV or just travel around SEA and go to Thailand for 30 days a few times. I still have a roof over my head when I go back home to Oz.
There are certainly options for Ozzies to perhaps move to Darwin or Cairns for a base. I used to live in Cairns and it is very nice. Warm climate, with the best months from about April to Sep. Darwin is only about 1 flying hour from Bali and from there there are flights to most parts of SEA.
I've met an 79 year old fit retired Ozzie last year and he has as a base in Oz only a campervan which he puts in storage when he is travelling. He said its not worth for him to maintain a flat as he is most of the year travelling overseas. All the strada or corporate body fees apply if you there or not. He still goes scuba diving and therefore likes to be in parts of SEA where he can dive. He was here in Thailand on a SETV.
What i will also watch is how much more the THB will appreciate vs the AUD. This is another big issue to consider. The AUD is today about B21.85. If you add the cost of exchange rates and transfers of your AUD to here you may be lucky to get B21. About 5 years ago it was around B30. Amost 1/3 loss! If its only for the money its almost cheaper as a pensioner to stay in Australia, but as the OP said it's boring. The pension is a bit higher as you'll get the supplementary payments and concessions as well. If you have to or want to live on a caravan park then you also can get rent assistance for that from centrelink.
At the moment I stay about 6 months in Thailand as that's the max my free credit card travel insurance covers and then go home for 6 to 8 weeks.
If this insurance requirement comes in, which i absolutely don't need as i have travel insurance and for elective surgery I'll use Medicare at home i can see myself changing my visa type. Whatever happens, I can see myself mixing things up in the future and will be looking around what SEA countries are worth to spend some time in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess because they are concerned about long-stay visa holders not being able to pay their medical expenses. O visas are only for 90 days so, unless the holder has an accident, there is less likelihood of incurring medical expenses. Requiring travel insurance for all tourists and short-stay visa holders would be logical.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Most expats do the yearly extension of stay so why focus on O-A?

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:
I guess because they are concerned about long-stay visa holders not being able to pay their medical expenses. O visas are only for 90 days so, unless the holder has an accident, there is less likelihood of incurring medical expenses. Requiring travel insurance for all tourists and short-stay visa holders would be logical.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Most expats do the yearly extension of stay so why focus on O-A?

At this point in time, it's completely UNCLEAR whether this new medical insurance requirement will apply to people applying for annual extensions based on retirement or not.

As far as the "logic" part of it, well, this is Thailand so I'm not going to go there.

At this point in time, it's completely UNCLEAR whether this new medical insurance requirement will apply to people applying for annual extensions based on retirement or not.
As far as the "logic" part of it, well, this is Thailand so I'm not going to go there.
It's UNCLEAR to some people, others are just taking it at face value that it impacts O-A visa

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's UNCLEAR to some people, others are just taking it at face value that it impacts O-A visa

You don't know that is actually true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You don't know that is actually true.

Gotta agree 100% and I don't see how anyone can know anything.  The head of IMM in Phuket thinks he issues A-O permits to stay - No other immigration offices have heard of mandatory health insurance except for the O-X.  The insurance guys on here have been asked numerous times and they are keeping mum. 

I have resisted getting into this thread. Its all "what if"

The term "long stay" is a tag attached to O-A. 

Just because expats using annual extensions are living here ...long stay, does not mean the possible insurance applies to them. 

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have resisted getting into this thread. Its all "what if"

The term "long stay" is a tag attached to O-A. 

Just because expats using annual extensions are living here ...long stay, does not mean the possible insurance applies to them. 

True, and it doesn't mean it doesn't either. The messages coming so far are unclear. Let's wait for actual clarity before jumping to ANY conclusions.

Let's wait for actual clarity before jumping to ANY conclusions.

Don't you think you are jumping to conclusions already when they have mentioned O-A only?
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

True, and it doesn't mean it doesn't either. The messages coming so far are unclear. Let's wait for actual clarity before jumping to ANY conclusions.

Thinking you have been. Along with many. Its causing panic

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't you think you are jumping to conclusions already when they have mentioned O-A only?

no

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking you have been. Along with many. Its causing panic

no conclusions

On 5/15/2019 at 2:24 PM, BritManToo said:

I avoided Cambodia for the last ten years because of everyone badmouthing it.

Then a pal moved there this year, I went to see him January in Siem Reap and loved the place.

Then I went to see him April in Phnom Penh again totally loved the place.

I can't believe I avoided it for 9 years .......... it was like Thailand when i first arrived ten years back.

Do you know about the visa options for Cambodia?

Do they do a multiple entry?