The Procrustean bed for retirees.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
Also not required for income method extensions with embassy letter.

Why do you think they are targeting O-A visas only?

To iron out the wrinkles before it's extended to O and the married. Project Management 101 - run a pilot

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 2

Yes, it is one of the options I am considering. I'm not aware the Philippines has too much smog once one is out of Manila.
I put the AirVisual app on my phone now. It gives you the air quality of any city you want to monitor. I put a few cities in on my watchlist. Easy to do and to check how places compare. Another very good weather and pollution app is Windy. Both are free. Very reliable data. One good thing about Thailand vs Philippines is that in Thailand there are almost no Typhoons. Looking at pollution Cebu does look pretty good. If i would make a move to the Philippines i certainly would look at cities that are outside the typhoon corridor. Been through a few cyclones in Cairns. Not a nice experience.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I didn't know that. Learn something every day. Having said that, how are the Thai authorities going to get cost recovery from an overseas account?
Thats why they want the insurance for the O-A visas to cover that

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I didn't know that. Learn something every day. Having said that, how are the Thai authorities going to get cost recovery from an overseas account?

If there was a rational reason to only make O-A visa holders get insurance that's it.  Eliminate the income method (for extensions) and make the O-A people get insurance and you've stopped the 3 old American ladies who skipped out on hospital bills in the past 5 years.

Edited by marcusarelus

On 5/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, KiChakayan said:

I would agree that anyone currently contemplating retirement in Thailand would have to be an absolute idiot. As far as I am concerned I'll wait and see. I had a pretty good life and if I can I'll dig in.

What's the difference between "digging in" and "digging deeper into the hole?" 

On 5/17/2019 at 12:05 AM, madmen said:

Happy hour will suffer. lets face it the majority of runners are piss poor pensioners. Thats life 

Once again, you are thinking short term.

Fly In Fly Out workers.  Snowbirds.  Contract workers. Semi retired workers.  People who work 6 months and have 6 months off.  Oil and Gas workers.  People with passive incomes.

All of the above, are not piss poor pensioners.

Actually, many of the above, and their big money, have already left. 

Classifying the above people as "tourists" was a big mistake by the Thai authorities.  That's a considerable loss of revenue from these big spenders, but hey, the Chinese holiday package tourists is where the money is now.   ????  ????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Exactly.  Everyone's a target.  It's not a stable visa system here. 

You could live here for 20 years.  Have a wife, house, car, kids, maybe a business.  You have no more rights than a new tourists on a 30 day exemption stamp. 

I left Thailand for many reasons but at the top of the list was the fact that it is impossible to feel secure in a relationship that is based on the bureaucratic whims of the Thai Government.

• Like 2

Once again, you are thinking short term.

Fly In Fly Out workers.  Snowbirds.  Contract workers. Semi retired workers.  People who work 6 months and have 6 months off.  Oil and Gas workers.  People with passive incomes.

All of the above, are not piss poor pensioners.

Actually, many of the above, and their big money, have already left. 

Classifying the above people as "tourists" was a big mistake by the Thai authorities.  That's a considerable loss of revenue from these big spenders, but hey, the Chinese holiday package tourists is where the money is now.   [emoji1787]  [emoji1787]
Show me where tourists are affected. All the drama now revolves around beleive it or not pensioners!