BANGKOK 24 June 2019 22:43
Lacessit

The Procrustean bed for retirees.

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

That is why I'm saying getting it now. If staying in Thailand you get an extension at Imm once a year for 1900 baht. You would have to leave Thailand once a year and reenter but with the visa in you passport it would be 6 years not having to worry about extensions and shifting goalposts.

Why would somebody respond "confused" to this? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

When I retired I minimalized down to what I could fit into my Ute for an 15 month road trip around Oz. Then when I moved here it all fitted into a large backpack and suitcase, a small carry on case and a camera bag. As I pack up my condo for a move to Ubon I’ve realized that I still have that much, plus a girlfriend. Trouble is she has another 2 suitcases and 12 packing boxes ..... so far.

If I ever had to move back to Oz I would be going back on the road with the grey nomads again, a small mobile home would be enough for me.

I sure you have noticed women treat vehicles like large handbags, and do their best to fill them up. IMHO it's something to do with nesting.

I started here with a suitcase, a small laptop and a set of golf clubs ten years ago. Assuming the worst, I can do it again elsewhere.

I am wondering what landlords here are going to do if/when their tenant pool shrinks. I don't know about elsewhere in Thailand; however, Chiang Mai seems to have plenty of units available for rent. The Chinese are herded into hotels on package tours, so I can't see them filling the void.

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

With an METV you can get almost 9 months, most i got was 8 months 3 weeks. But not as easy to get as a SETV, depending how strict the consulate is

Thanks, I forgot that you can extend the last 60 days by 30 & get a re-entry permit so you can get the extra month 🙂

Thought the post was about a bed for elderly with a bad back.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Thought the post was about a bed for elderly with a bad back.

You're not the only one.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Non immigrant "O-A" long stay visa. Obtained in ones home country. Multiple entry. Not to be confused with non o based on such things as retirement, marriage, dependent Thai child etc. 

Not stricly true.  Please see para 3 of the attachment by Ratcatcher, where it says it can be done in Thai Embassy/Consulate overseas or Thai Immigration Office at Laksi, Bangkok.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Non immigrant "O-A" long stay visa. Obtained in ones home country. Multiple entry. Not to be confused with non o based on such things as retirement, marriage, dependent Thai child etc. 

Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. 

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thai border says 2 waivers per year, can't imagine wanting to visit more often than that.

two LAND BORDER visa exempts /year

does not mention flying in;

with a 1 year Cambodian extension,  i doubt u'd be questioned if you visited Thailand 1 week every month

16 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

False info that has been on the MFA website for many years. I think they meant an extension of stay not a OA visa. A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or official consulate.

• Like 1

Thanks, I forgot that you can extend the last 60 days by 30 & get a re-entry permit so you can get the extra month

Yeah its just a 30 day extension 1900 baht, i did it my last 4 METVs

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

two LAND BORDER visa exempts /year

does not mention flying in;

with a 1 year Cambodian extension,  i doubt u'd be questioned if you visited Thailand 1 week every month

Our conversation was about train and bus journeys ...... I don't think either of those two vehicles can fly.

I have been under the impression the Non-immigrant O-A is the starting point of the retirement visa, and ensuing extensions of stay. So it depends on whether Thai officialdom interprets the medical insurance requirement as flowing on from the original O-A.
No. The starting point for an Extension based on Retirement is an O visa.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I lived in Siem Reap for 5 years before I came here 3 years ago. I miss Cambodia and Siem Reap every day, but I now have a lovely Thai girl and a lifestyle that suits me perfectly. My plan was to die here (hopefully not too soon!).

Cambodia was always my plan B, but now I am trying to find out what the visa rules are to take my 40 year old gf with me long term. So far it looks like the best option is for her to go to English school on an ES Student visa. The only other option would be for her to get a job, which, even with my many contacts there, would be very difficult. Her English is basic and her Khmer obviously non-existent. I need to explore further options. Or maybe there is a better country for her than Cambodia?

It's worth noting too that Cambodia is following Thailand in visa changes. My 5 years there were so easy visa-wise but now it's not so straightforward, and probably more changes eventually.

I hate uncertainty and this place is full of it now.

• Like 1