The Procrustean bed for retirees.

If I was the OP I'd consider the METV and time it so the out of Thailand period is during the hot smoky season in Chiang Mai.

A few people in my building left for other environs from March through May, yet they kept their rooms.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Edit:  And again, you keep talking about elective visits to the hospital.  The concern is emergencies when they are legally required to save a life before they can assure payment.

I can assure you my first visit was an emergency which would have killed me in a short space of time, followed by two more emergency visits which would have all quickly resulted in my death in 2-3 days if untreated.

Edited by BritManToo

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can assure you my first visit was an emergency which would have killed me in a short space of time, followed by two more emergency visits which would have all quickly resulted in my death in 2-3 days if untreated.

Here's a little mental exercise for next time you're in a Thai expat bar.  Look at the 2 guys to your right.  Look at the 2 guys to your left.  Between the 5 of you, do you figure all 5 would be able to come up with 400,000 in a pinch for an emergency hospital stay in Thailand? 

You may be fine.  But odds are, at least one of the 5 wouldn't be able to come up with the cash.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Here's a little mental exercise for next time you're in a Thai expat bar.  Look at the 2 guys to your right.  Look at the 2 guys to your left.  Between the 5 of you, do you figure all 5 would be able to come up with 400,000 in a pinch for an emergency hospital stay in Thailand? 

You may be fine.  But odds are, at least one of the 5 wouldn't be able to come up with the cash.

I haven't been in a Thai expat bar for 6 months, I'm not daft enough to pay 100bht for a beer.

Was in a Cambodian expat bar a month back, we could all afford the 50c for our beers.

Everyone had a pension and enough money to be able to fly around the world when they felt like it.

I'd suggest those with little money avoid Bangkok Hospital, and try the government hospitals.

My emergency treatment (x3) in a Thai government hospital cost 1,500bht, nowhere near 400k.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I haven't been in a Thai expat bar for 6 months, I'm not daft enough to pay 100bht for a beer.

Was in a Cambodian expat bar a month back, we could all afford the 50c for our beers.

Everyone had a pension and enough money to be able to fly around the world when they felt like it.

I'd suggest those with little money avoid Bangkok Hospital, and try the government hospitals.

And when the ambulance takes you, unconscious, to one of the expensive ones?

Edit:  BTW, not that it makes you a bad guy, but if you're not willing to pay the local price for a beer, you're not really in Thailand's target demographic for "Good guys in".

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

And when the ambulance takes you, unconscious, to one of the expensive ones?

What happens if an ambulance takes an uninsured Thai to an expensive hospital when they're unconscious?

I can't see criminal conspiracies between some ambulances and some hospitals intended to defraud foreigners being in any way my responsibility.

Edited by BritManToo

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
19 hours ago, Jingthing said:
Here is an example. 
Say you got an O-A visa 10 years ago and you've been here on annual extensions since. 
The Foreign Ministry specifically says RENEWAL of O-A visas will be subject to the health insurance too.
There is no such thing as RENEWAL of an O-A visa.
This is one of the many lost in translation things that happen so often here.

So what are they referring to, what can happen with an O-A visa over time?

You can reenter Thailand before it's initially void and get an additional year's stay.
Is THAT what they mean by renewal?
If so, then such people would need to show proof of insurance during that entry.

You can get continuous annual retirement extensions for life if you started with an O-A visa.
If so, then such people would need to show proof of insurance during upon extension application.

You can go back to your home country and apply for NEW O-A visas, indefinitely. 
I think not because when an O-A visa expires there is nothing to renew.
A new O-A visa application is just that, it's a NEW O-A visa application. Renewal implies you have something in your passport that is still valid. 

The more interesting point is why are they picking on O-A only and not O. My guess is with an O-A no need for the holder to have THB income or 800k in the bank, which authorities don't like

An O Visa person is only expected to stay up to 90 days, whereas an OA is expected to stay a full year. I am expecting this is the first step in a more general insurance requirement.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

You are looking at the short term. 

Firstly, I disagree 10,000 expats leaving isn't a blip on the radar.  I think the negative publicity, and word of mouth, makes that 10,000 leaving expats not encourage the next generation of 10,000 retiring expats.

So, now you have 10,000 expats leaving, and you potentially have 10,000 expats not coming here to retire, then you have 10,000 expats that remained here passing away, and you eventually end up with a lot more than a blip, and more like a snowball effect. 

The Thai's will push the cost of a foreigner being allowed to live in Thailand to breaking point.  Typically of Thailand, they will see some short term profits, but long term loses, but it all about how much money they can get in the present.

I would agree that anyone currently contemplating retirement in Thailand would have to be an absolute idiot. As far as I am concerned I'll wait and see. I had a pretty good life and if I can I'll dig in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Actually, all of the articles made it quite clear that it only affected those wanting to obtain a non O-A visa based on retirement only. 

If it is only for O-A, then why bother with O-A (I have an O-A)? I can always get an extension starting with an O and using an agent. The insurance at my age is now 60K/year. I can give 20K to an agent to get me an extension. I coming in October using a re-entry permit based on the second year of an O-A. Do I need to buy insurance to renter? I guess nobody knows. I can buy an yearly insurance for 12K valid for two months at time and do a border run every two months. As I only stay for 6-months in Thailand, I only need to do two border runs to keep my insurance alive two months at a time. 

Edited by onera1961

12 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Do I need to buy insurance to renter?

Nobody knows but pretty sure that immigration are not checking anybody coming into the country yet. Actually you will be entering based on the re-entry permit, and your Non-Imm OA is already expired.

Edited by jacko45k

An O Visa person is only expected to stay up to 90 days, whereas an OA is expected to stay a full year. I am expecting this is the first step in a more general insurance requirement.
But we all know most expats stay here long term on the O but authorities are focusing on the O-A

But we all know most expats stay here long term on the O but authorities are focusing on the O-A
An O visa cannot be used for a long-term stay - it's only for 90 days. It can be converted into an Extension of Stay but the visa will have expired. OX visas give a possible 10 year stay, while OA visas give a year's stay, which if used wisely can be nearer 2 years.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

An O visa cannot be used for a long-term stay - it's only for 90 days. It can be converted into an Extension of Stay but the visa will have expired. OX visas give a possible 10 year stay, while OA visas give a year's stay, which if used wisely can be nearer 2 years.

Correct, O extension of stay which most expats have. Still missing the point why they are focusing on O-A

Correct, O extension of stay which most expats have. Still missing the point why they are focusing on O-A
I guess because they are concerned about long-stay visa holders not being able to pay their medical expenses. O visas are only for 90 days so, unless the holder has an accident, there is less likelihood of incurring medical expenses. Requiring travel insurance for all tourists and short-stay visa holders would be logical.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I disagree .........

Elite VISA holders next, no entry without insurance! Let's level the playing field for all 1 year entries.

Edited by BritManToo

I've just done my extension based on my O-A visa. I have 1 year to think about this. First thing now is i can't touch any part of the B800k for 3 months then must maintain B400k. Once this insurance requirement becomes clearer, I'll make a decision to change to a SETV or METV or just travel around SEA and go to Thailand for 30 days a few times. I still have a roof over my head when I go back home to Oz.
There are certainly options for Ozzies to perhaps move to Darwin or Cairns for a base. I used to live in Cairns and it is very nice. Warm climate, with the best months from about April to Sep. Darwin is only about 1 flying hour from Bali and from there there are flights to most parts of SEA.
I've met an 79 year old fit retired Ozzie last year and he has as a base in Oz only a campervan which he puts in storage when he is travelling. He said its not worth for him to maintain a flat as he is most of the year travelling overseas. All the strada or corporate body fees apply if you there or not. He still goes scuba diving and therefore likes to be in parts of SEA where he can dive. He was here in Thailand on a SETV.
What i will also watch is how much more the THB will appreciate vs the AUD. This is another big issue to consider. The AUD is today about B21.85. If you add the cost of exchange rates and transfers of your AUD to here you may be lucky to get B21. About 5 years ago it was around B30. Amost 1/3 loss! If its only for the money its almost cheaper as a pensioner to stay in Australia, but as the OP said it's boring. The pension is a bit higher as you'll get the supplementary payments and concessions as well. If you have to or want to live on a caravan park then you also can get rent assistance for that from centrelink.
At the moment I stay about 6 months in Thailand as that's the max my free credit card travel insurance covers and then go home for 6 to 8 weeks.
If this insurance requirement comes in, which i absolutely don't need as i have travel insurance and for elective surgery I'll use Medicare at home i can see myself changing my visa type. Whatever happens, I can see myself mixing things up in the future and will be looking around what SEA countries are worth to spend some time in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess because they are concerned about long-stay visa holders not being able to pay their medical expenses. O visas are only for 90 days so, unless the holder has an accident, there is less likelihood of incurring medical expenses. Requiring travel insurance for all tourists and short-stay visa holders would be logical.

Most expats do the yearly extension of stay so why focus on O-A?

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Most expats do the yearly extension of stay so why focus on O-A?

At this point in time, it's completely UNCLEAR whether this new medical insurance requirement will apply to people applying for annual extensions based on retirement or not.

As far as the "logic" part of it, well, this is Thailand so I'm not going to go there.

At this point in time, it's completely UNCLEAR whether this new medical insurance requirement will apply to people applying for annual extensions based on retirement or not.
As far as the "logic" part of it, well, this is Thailand so I'm not going to go there.
It's UNCLEAR to some people, others are just taking it at face value that it impacts O-A visa

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's UNCLEAR to some people, others are just taking it at face value that it impacts O-A visa

You don't know that is actually true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You don't know that is actually true.

Gotta agree 100% and I don't see how anyone can know anything.  The head of IMM in Phuket thinks he issues A-O permits to stay - No other immigration offices have heard of mandatory health insurance except for the O-X.  The insurance guys on here have been asked numerous times and they are keeping mum. 

I have resisted getting into this thread. Its all "what if"

The term "long stay" is a tag attached to O-A. 

Just because expats using annual extensions are living here ...long stay, does not mean the possible insurance applies to them. 

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have resisted getting into this thread. Its all "what if"

The term "long stay" is a tag attached to O-A. 

Just because expats using annual extensions are living here ...long stay, does not mean the possible insurance applies to them. 

True, and it doesn't mean it doesn't either. The messages coming so far are unclear. Let's wait for actual clarity before jumping to ANY conclusions.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

True, and it doesn't mean it doesn't either. The messages coming so far are unclear. Let's wait for actual clarity before jumping to ANY conclusions.

Thinking you have been. Along with many. Its causing panic

On 5/15/2019 at 2:24 PM, BritManToo said:

I avoided Cambodia for the last ten years because of everyone badmouthing it.

Then a pal moved there this year, I went to see him January in Siem Reap and loved the place.

Then I went to see him April in Phnom Penh again totally loved the place.

I can't believe I avoided it for 9 years .......... it was like Thailand when i first arrived ten years back.

Do you know about the visa options for Cambodia?

Do they do a multiple entry?