BANGKOK 21 June 2019 04:05
Lacessit

The Procrustean bed for retirees.

People cant seem to understand.. Doesnt matter if the insurance is useless and wont pay out.. Its the price of admission and a system of generating more revenue for Thailand..

Pay the price or plan other options. 

Yes it's a ticket to ride, but best to exhaust other options first. April International (Thailand) for example is much better and inexpensive with large deductible options

12 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

People cant seem to understand.. Doesnt matter if the insurance is useless and wont pay out.. Its the price of admission and a system of generating more revenue for Thailand..

Dead right. The problem is Thailand is miles ahead of anywhere else as a retirement destination AND they know it. Ten thousand expats running wont even register as a blip on the radar and lets face it the majority of them are obviously poor pensioners That Thailand do not want.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Dead right. The problem is Thailand is miles ahead of anywhere else as a retirement destination AND they know it. Ten thousand expats running wont even register as a blip on the radar and lets face it the majority of them are obviously poor pensioners That Thailand do not want.

It actually isn't miles ahead if you look at the GLOBAL options.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I avoided Cambodia for the last ten years because of everyone badmouthing it.

Then a pal moved there this year, I went to see him January in Siem Reap and loved the place.

Then I went to see him April in Phnom Penh again totally loved the place.

I can't believe I avoided it for 9 years .......... it was like Thailand when i first arrived ten years back.

More like Bangladesh 20 years ago. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Can I afford the price? 

At this time I can but why should I like the price when you can see where this is leading you.

If they want an admission price to let us in, It has gone a step to far.

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It actually isn't miles ahead if you look at the GLOBAL options.

Agreed should have SEA. I find eastern Europe (born in serbia) is going to be a better fit for me. Planning travels right across Europe is something I look forward to and on the bucket list

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Can I afford the price? 

At this time I can but why should I like the price when you can see where this is leading you.

If they want an admission price to let us in, It has gone a step to far.

So you have reached your limit.. Plenty of others wont have.. Thats what they are budgeting on. 

Theres always this kind of idea that immigration policy is clueless and without a plan.. I would say thats not the case at all.. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, xylophone said:

Now that sounds appealing and I could do the same in NZ............

I have already learned to downsize from a large three bedroomed detached house in NZ to my current 45 square meter apartment, ditching much clutter along the way, and I know now what is important to have and what isn't, and I'm sure I could get my most important things into some sort of large mobile home.

Food for thought, thanks.

It would need to be a very large mobile home to cart all of your wine around, especially at NZ prices!

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

So you have reached your limit.. Plenty of others wont have.. Thats what they are budgeting on. 

Theres always this kind of idea that immigration policy is clueless and without a plan.. I would say thats not the case at all.. 

Plenty of others? I would say more likely a small minority.

IMHO the perception of cluelessness arises from the fact no two Immigration offices have the same requirements. They are renowned for that.

Unless you want to argue that is part of a grand design?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO the perception of cluelessness arises from the fact no two Immigration offices have the same requirements. They are renowned for that.

I would argue they hate us and are therefore as difficult as possible.

It's not about them wanting different documents, it's about them wanting documents you didn't bring to cause you further time and trouble.

That's what I always found when I used them anyway.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

It's not about them wanting different documents, it's about them wanting documents you didn't bring to cause you further time and trouble.

555, i think this is likely. Bring loads of docs with you but kept separate for when they ask.

I've had the same experience trying to open a bank account and they get nervous about doing it so request an unnecessary doc
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would argue they hate us and are therefore as difficult as possible.

That's what I always found when I used them anyway.

You may be right. Or it could be that because you are not paying an agent, they don't get the extra dosh, and hence they see no reason to make things easy for you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Retdent said:

It would need to be a very large mobile home to cart all of your wine around, especially at NZ prices!

LOL...fortunately these days I have gone from having a large cellar with a few hundred bottles in it to a little wine cooler which holds a maximum of about 30 bottles, but would only need to store about a dozen bottles at a time in my mobile home in NZ!

As for the prices, yes one can get some very nice Aussie bargains in the supermarkets, so I would be tempted to stock up, but there's always a supermarket nearby, especially if I'm mobile!

Only a bit of a dream at the moment, but not entirely out of the question.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

But thats enforcement not policy.. Same could be said of police judges and all kinds of things. 

But those who set these rules, and pass them through the cabinet, etc etc.. Are making it crystal clear.. 

I strongly suspect that once this rule is in effect, there will still be a whole lot more than 'a small minority' still here.. We shall see.