Non-O for Marriage - Better to get Single or Multiple Entries

As I will be taking a break from work (non-B visa will cease therefore) I would like to apply for a 1 year Non-O visa based on family support.   I plan to apply at Savanakhet, Laos.

They offer both single and multiple entry visas but I am unsure if the multiple entry (at 5000Bt) is worth it.

Can someone explain if single entry the process of getting extensions for up to 1 year is?

• Haha 1

You would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the non-o visa. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply or proof of 40k baht.

After the application is accepted you would get a under consideration stamp with report back date 30 days later. The application has to be approved at the division level of immigration.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the non-o visa. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply or proof of 40k baht.

After the application is accepted you would get a under consideration stamp with report back date 30 days later. The application has to be approved at the division level of immigration.

Very clear response Joe.  So there is a chance I may not get the extension (though very unlikely I would imagine).   If multiple entry in Savanakhet, presumably this is 1 year multi, and would that mean visa runs every 90 days ?

15 minutes ago, drbrit said:

So there is a chance I may not get the extension (though very unlikely I would imagine).

They are seldom denied. If there was a problem with the application they will contact you resolve the problem.

15 minutes ago, drbrit said:

If multiple entry in Savanakhet, presumably this is 1 year multi, and would that mean visa runs every 90 days ?

You would have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They are seldom denied. If there was a problem with the application they will contact you resolve the problem.

Understood and very clear answer. Thank you

"They offer both single and multiple entry visas but I am unsure if the multiple entry (at 5000Bt) is worth it."

Surely it would depend on how many trips you intend making in and out if Thailand?

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a Non-O single entry, do you have to do a 90 day report?

2 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Only if you go onto overstay! 

Permission of stay is for 90 days, report not needed until over 90 days stay. 

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

On a Non O visa (as opposed to an extension of your permission to stay) you should never be in Thailand more than 90 consecutive days, so address reporting is not required (whether you have a single entry of multiple entry Non O).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard052 said:

If married to a Thai you can extend the 90 day permission of stay by another 60 days at Immigration.

The visit to your IO also doubles as an automatic 90 day report and your granted permission to stay another 60 days beyond the 90 days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you do a Multi entry you need to exit the country every 90 days. BUT, you do not need to deal with Immigration.  No reporting to them, no money in the bank. 

If you are close to a border, it may be to your advantage to do the multi entry.

That's The Way to GO !!

• Like 1

I have been in Thailand for the last 2 or 3 years on back to back METV s from Australia. I am going to Australia next week and will marry my Thai girlfriend there. I was going to get a SETV in Australia and return to Thailand and get my marriage documents translated and certified. I was then going to go to Savannakhet and get a METV and extension based on marriage. Does this make sense? Could I just enter Thailand on a visa free entry. I feel dumb posting this but it is all very confusing.

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, noosard said:

Be aware flying into Thailand on a tourist visa the airline may require exit ticket

Always by a cheap flight out before coming  to show the airline,if they ask! Bkk to Malaysia ,2000bht 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you marry your Thai g/f in Australia you could apply direct for the Non O Visa either single or multiple entry.

You could then apply directly at your local IO for an extension based on marriage. Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or 40k transferred monthly to a Thai bank account.

In order to apply for the extension you would need to register your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.

You should research for the requirements to get your marriage certificate legalised for acceptance in Thailand.

In the UK it must be legalised in the UK before entry to Thailand, whilst for the US their Embassy can legalise the marriage certificate. The requirement varies by Country.

These links may help;

https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/our-services/apostilles-authentications-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage/Pages/apostilles-authentications-and-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage.aspx

https://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/default.aspx

Have your GF go to her  Amphor to ask for their requirements! They have a print out in Thai! I'm told some Amphor aren't the same for requirements!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

Have your GF go to her  Amphor to ask for their requirements! They have a print out in Thai! I'm told some Amphor aren't the same for requirements!  

Regardless of the Amphoe, as a minimum a foreign marriage certificate must have been authenticated, legalised, translated and the translation legalised by the MFA.

Other Amphoe's require additional documents such as a certified copy of the foreigners passport, translated and legalised by the MFA.

The Amphoe cannot advise on the procedure for foreigners to follow from differing Countries in order to legalise foreign documents for use in Thailand.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Regardless of the Amphoe, as a minimum a foreign marriage certificate must have been authenticated, legalised, translated and the translation legalised by the MFA.

Other Amphoe's require additional documents such as a certified copy of the foreigners passport, translated and legalised by the MFA.

The Amphoe cannot advise on the procedure for foreigners to follow from differing Countries in order to legalise foreign documents for use in Thailand.

I'm told some Amphores want  certain doc's( certified copy passport from your embassy) others don't (copy of your passport picture page and your signature on it) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

I'm told some Amphores want  certain doc's( certified copy passport from your embassy) others don't (copy of your passport picture page and your signature on it) 

That's in addition to the a foreign marriage certificate being authenticated, translated and legalised, in order to register a foreign marriage in Thailand.

For extensions based on marriage Immigration require a Kor Ror 2 or 22, from the Amphoe.

Kor Ror 2 denotes marriage at an Amphoe in Thailand

Kor Ror 22 denotes a foreign marriage, registered at an Amphoe.

Without a Kor Ror 2 or 22, the extension cannot proceed based on marriage.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I believe you have to report every 90 days to Immigration.

A single entry non-o visa only allows one 90 day entry.

You do not need to do a report of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country if you do not stay that long.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A single entry non-o visa only allows one 90 day entry.

You do not need to do a report of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country if you do not stay that long.

If you stay longer than 90 days, do you need to report?

1 minute ago, Jeffrey346 said:

The only way to stay longer is to apply for an extension of stay and the first extension application is considered as a 90 day report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you stay longer than 90 days after entering on a Non O visa, this implies that you have applied for an extension of your permission to stay. Your first extension doubles as an automatic address report. If you (after the first extension) are then in Thailand for 90+ consecutive days, an address report becomes due.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you have a Visa or extension that allows you to stay for more than 90 days, then yes you must report every 90 days or within the specified window of 90 days depending on your method of making the report.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only way to stay longer is to apply for an extension of stay and the first extension application is considered as a 90 day report.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

If you stay longer than 90 days after entering on a Non O visa, this implies that you have applied for an extension of your permission to stay. Your first extension doubles as an automatic address report. If you (after the first extension) are then in Thailand for 90+ consecutive days, an address report becomes due.

With exception of the O-A Visa which allows a 1 year entry.

2 hours ago, noosard said:

Be aware flying into Thailand on a tourist visa the airline may require exit ticket

Usually, if you have a visa, it is an error by the check in staff if they tell you you need an onward flight reservation. Almost all airlines follow the IATA guidelines that state an onward flight is only needed if entering visa exempt. If the airline insists on an onward flight with a tourist visa, they are likely to do so with any other kind of visa or re-entry permit. Use a different airline in future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

With exception of the O-A Visa which allows a 1 year entry.

An O-A (long stay) visa is not a Non O visa which is what the discussion was about. If you want to talk about other visa types, the O-X visa and Easy Access (Thailand Elite) visas also allow entries longer than 90 days.