Non-O for Marriage - Better to get Single or Multiple Entries

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

An O-A (long stay) visa is not a Non O visa which is what the discussion was about. If you want to talk about other visa types, the O-X visa and Easy Access (Thailand Elite) visas also allow entries longer than 90 days.

Only clarifying for jeffrey346 as he didn't specify a Visa or extension.

Absolutely correct their is more than one O type Visa allowing entries in excess of 90 days.

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely correct their is more than one O type Visa allowing entries in excess of 90 days.

No, all the Non O visas (also Non B, Non E etc.) allow 90-day entries. As far as I know, currently only the O-A, O-X and EA visas allow initial stays of longer than 90 days. There might be some visa categories for diplomats that also allow long stay.

Hey thanks for your reply. Unfortunately a visa without the financial requirements is probably the best for me at the moment. We thought of an Australian marriage because she is a Permanent resident but we are living in Thailand and are going to have trouble with her staying in Australia long enough for her to fulfill the requirements of her residency but at least if we are married there they may be more open to is returning at a later date. I guess will just enter on a visa free entry, translate and certify the marriage then go to Laos or HCM. Thanks again. Do understand the process now more.

If you marry your Thai g/f in Australia you could apply direct for the Non O Visa either single or multiple entry.

You could then apply directly at your local IO for an extension based on marriage. Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or 40k transferred monthly to a Thai bank account.
In order to apply for the extension you would need to register your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.
You should research for the requirements to get your marriage certificate legalised for acceptance in Thailand.
In the UK it must be legalised in the UK before entry to Thailand, whilst for the US their Embassy can legalise the marriage certificate. The requirement varies by Country.

These links may help;
https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/our-services/apostilles-authentications-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage/Pages/apostilles-authentications-and-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage.aspx
https://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/default.aspx

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

As far as I know, currently only the O-A, O-X and EA visas allow initial stays of longer than 90 days. There might be some visa categories for diplomats that also allow long stay. 

Is that not more than one O type Visa allowing stays longer than 90 days, which is exactly what I stated.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

9 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you do a Multi entry you need to exit the country every 90 days. BUT, you do not need to deal with Immigration.  No reporting to them, no money in the bank. 

If you are close to a border, it may be to your advantage to do the multi entry.

yes it's clearly the best and smartest solution.

so funny that anyone prefers to deal with any immigration officer every 3 months when borders are so close...

If you marry your Thai g/f in Australia you could apply direct for the Non O Visa either single or multiple entry.

You could then apply directly at your local IO for an extension based on marriage. Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or 40k transferred monthly to a Thai bank account.
In order to apply for the extension you would need to register your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.
You should research for the requirements to get your marriage certificate legalised for acceptance in Thailand.
In the UK it must be legalised in the UK before entry to Thailand, whilst for the US their Embassy can legalise the marriage certificate. The requirement varies by Country.

These links may help;
https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/our-services/apostilles-authentications-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage/Pages/apostilles-authentications-and-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage.aspx
https://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/default.aspx
Hi Tanoshi and all. Am still confused about something. If I get a non O METV in Australia I do not need to show proof of funds? I can come to Thailand and then after 60 days go to Savannakhet and apply for extension or do I get the non o at Savannakhet and then go to the local IO. Regards

10 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you do a Multi entry you need to exit the country every 90 days. BUT, you do not need to deal with Immigration.  No reporting to them, no money in the bank. 

If you are close to a border, it may be to your advantage to do the multi entry.

Trips out of the country, xxxx baht. Not having to deal with a single other thing, priceless. 

50 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

If I get a non O METV in Australia I do not need to show proof of funds? I can come to Thailand and then after 60 days go to Savannakhet and apply for extension or do I get the non o at Savannakhet and then go to the local IO. Regards

He was suggesting a multiple entry non-o visa not a METV. A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of entry. Requirements are here on the Canberra embassy website after entering your nationality and clicking image.png.c8c68a16161fc7e760d8202efd31b778.png . http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 

You can also get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the visa.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. Again.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
He was suggesting a multiple entry non-o visa not a METV. A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of entry. Requirements are here on the Canberra embassy website after entering your nationality and clicking image.png.c8c68a16161fc7e760d8202efd31b778.png . http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 
You can also get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the visa.

I do single entry extension of stay based on a child which gives me 90 days and I can extend that an additional 60 at local immigration. The 1 year equivalent requiring me to leave Thailand every 90 days makes no sense to me or my Mrs and in Savanaket there is no baht requirement for what I do although the baht is in the bank but I've never used any other option as it seems more work to leave every 90 than simply report at 90 and repeat every 150.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe for all. Do you think my previous visa history-3 METV s in 2 and a bit years will be held against me if this time I enter on a non O. Last time you advised me to enter by U-Tapao which worked fine. Do you think I should do again or straight through Swampy?

32 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Thanks Joe for all. Do you think my previous visa history-3 METV s in 2 and a bit years will be held against me if this time I enter on a non O.

Entering on a non-o visa is completely different than entering on a tourist visa. Non immigrant visas require proof of a valid reason to  apply for one which a tourist visa does not require.

You should have no problem entering the country.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Is that not more than one O type Visa allowing stays longer than 90 days, which is exactly what I stated.

The Non O-A, Non O-X and Thailand Elite visas are no more Non O visas than a Non B or education visa. The only similarities are that they are all visas, and all must be applied for at an embassy or consulate. There are, indeed, a number of categories of Non O (the O stands for "other") but you cannot just call any kind of visa a Non O visa.

36 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Non O-A, Non O-X and Thailand Elite visas are no more Non O visas than a Non B or education visa. The only similarities are that they are all visas, and all must be applied for at an embassy or consulate. There are, indeed, a number of categories of Non O (the O stands for "other") but you cannot just call any kind of visa a Non O visa.

Tim, I believe you misinterpreted the intention of my previous post which was not to contradict yourself or UJ, but to point out other 'O' type Visas, such as the O-A do allow stays longer than 90 days.

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Tim, I believe you misinterpreted the intention of my previous post which was not to contradict yourself or UJ, but to point out other 'O' type Visas, such as the O-A do allow stays longer than 90 days.

OK, I will agree that the Non O-A and Non O-X visas are often erroneously believed to be some type of special Non O visas. If you were trying to point out that in spite of the similarity in names, they are actually distinct visas with completely different uses and rules, then your effort is worthwhile.

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

On a Non O visa (as opposed to an extension of your permission to stay) you should never be in Thailand more than 90 consecutive days, so address reporting is not required (whether you have a single entry of multiple entry Non O).

Right now I have a Non-Immigrant O-A (M) that expires on the 4 November 2019, I usually come to Thailand during the winter months and stay between 5-6 months.  So every 2nd year I come back before my Visa expires and get a 1-year extension.  What worries me is that if I come back to Thailand before my Visa expires, will they give me my normal 1year extension as before without a health insurance coverage?  And if I understand correctly, a Non-O Visa based upon marriage is only good for 90 days and if I want a 60-day extension, I need to show 400K Thai Bahts in my bank account over there, is this correct?  If it is the case, I am probably better off with a Tourist Visa.  I am from Canada, where we have free medical care, I also have an insurance that covers me for 40 days outside the country.  I will be 74 years old in December and in good health and if I have to be hospitalized in Thailand, I have enough money back home to cover any expenses but I hate like hell to give my money to insurance companies.  Thank you very much for your help.

39 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Right now I have a Non-Immigrant O-A (M) that expires on the 4 November 2019, I usually come to Thailand during the winter months and stay between 5-6 months.  So every 2nd year I come back before my Visa expires and get a 1-year extension.  What worries me is that if I come back to Thailand before my Visa expires, will they give me my normal 1year extension as before without a health insurance coverage?  And if I understand correctly, a Non-O Visa based upon marriage is only good for 90 days and if I want a 60-day extension, I need to show 400K Thai Bahts in my bank account over there, is this correct?  If it is the case, I am probably better off with a Tourist Visa.  I am from Canada, where we have free medical care, I also have an insurance that covers me for 40 days outside the country.  I will be 74 years old in December and in good health and if I have to be hospitalized in Thailand, I have enough money back home to cover any expenses but I hate like hell to give my money to insurance companies.  Thank you very much for your help.

Immigration at the airport when you enter will not ask for proof of medical insurance. You will receive your one-year permission to stay. The requirement, should it be implemented, will only be enforced at the time you apply for the visa at the embassy. There is speculation that the requirement might later be extended to applications for an extension of stay based on retirement. Even should that happen, it will not affect you being stamped in as normal.

EDIT: You are correct that a Non O visa only gives you a 90-day stay. However, financial proof is not required for a 60-day extension, only if you want a one-year extension. Your wife must accompany you when you request the 60-day extension.

Edited by BritTim

19 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

What worries me is that if I come back to Thailand before my Visa expires, will they give me my normal 1year extension as before without a health insurance coverage? 

Yes.

The O-A Visa allows multiple 1 year entries before the enter before date.

90 day reports can be submitted at local IO's.

22 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

And if I understand correctly, a Non-O Visa based upon marriage is only good for 90 days and if I want a 60-day extension, I need to show 400K Thai Bahts in my bank account over there, is this correct? 

Non O allows 90 day entries, each entry can be extended by 60 days to visit Thai wife.

No funds are required for a 60 day extension.

A multi entry O can allow 17 months stay in Thailand if used to it's potential.

17 hours ago, noosard said:

Be aware flying into Thailand on a tourist visa the airline may require exit ticket

It used to a Visa took away the worry about this at the Thailand end. Hence the airline were less concerned. 

Edited by jacko45k

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

No, all the Non O visas (also Non B, Non E etc.) allow 90-day entries. As far as I know, currently only the O-A, O-X and EA visas allow initial stays of longer than 90 days. There might be some visa categories for diplomats that also allow long stay

All smart visas allow permission to stay longer than 90-day but there is no 90-day reporting requirements. 

Edited by onera1961

On 5/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, BritTim said:

Immigration at the airport when you enter will not ask for proof of medical insurance. You will receive your one-year permission to stay. The requirement, should it be implemented, will only be enforced at the time you apply for the visa at the embassy. There is speculation that the requirement might later be extended to applications for an extension of stay based on retirement. Even should that happen, it will not affect you being stamped in as normal.

EDIT: You are correct that a Non O visa only gives you a 90-day stay. However, financial proof is not required for a 60-day extension, only if you want a one-year extension. Your wife must accompany you when you request the 60-day extension.

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.  So, my understanding is, if I come in before my Non Immigrant O-A expires on the 4 November, I should get my one year extension no problem.  That's good news.

2 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.  So, my understanding is, if I come in before my Non Immigrant O-A expires on the 4 November, I should get my one year extension no problem.  That's good news.

For the 60 day extension, do I have to go to Savannaket or can I get it from the Immigration office in Jomtien?

23 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

For the 60 day extension, do I have to go to Savannaket or can I get it from the Immigration office in Jomtien?

You apply for the extension at a immigration office.

On a multi entry non-O visa, if you leave the country and then re-enter on the last day of validity, you will still get a 90 day stay, which can still be extended by 60 days at your local immigration office.

So on one ME non-O, you can get 365 + 90 + 60 days total, which is 17 months.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

On a multi entry non-O visa, if you leave the country and then re-enter on the last day of validity, you will still get a 90 day stay, which can still be extended by 60 days at your local immigration office.

So on one ME non-O, you can get 365 + 90 + 60 days total, which is 17 months.

Yes you can.

But you will not get exactly 365 days from the visa it will be a little under that. You can get almost 17 months of total stay.

• Thanks 1