Jump to content
BANGKOK 27 June 2019 19:14
drbrit

Non-O for Marriage - Better to get Single or Multiple Entries

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

An O-A (long stay) visa is not a Non O visa which is what the discussion was about. If you want to talk about other visa types, the O-X visa and Easy Access (Thailand Elite) visas also allow entries longer than 90 days.

Only clarifying for jeffrey346 as he didn't specify a Visa or extension.

Absolutely correct their is more than one O type Visa allowing entries in excess of 90 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely correct their is more than one O type Visa allowing entries in excess of 90 days.

No, all the Non O visas (also Non B, Non E etc.) allow 90-day entries. As far as I know, currently only the O-A, O-X and EA visas allow initial stays of longer than 90 days. There might be some visa categories for diplomats that also allow long stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey thanks for your reply. Unfortunately a visa without the financial requirements is probably the best for me at the moment. We thought of an Australian marriage because she is a Permanent resident but we are living in Thailand and are going to have trouble with her staying in Australia long enough for her to fulfill the requirements of her residency but at least if we are married there they may be more open to is returning at a later date. I guess will just enter on a visa free entry, translate and certify the marriage then go to Laos or HCM. Thanks again. Do understand the process now more.

If you marry your Thai g/f in Australia you could apply direct for the Non O Visa either single or multiple entry.
 
You could then apply directly at your local IO for an extension based on marriage. Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or 40k transferred monthly to a Thai bank account.
In order to apply for the extension you would need to register your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.
You should research for the requirements to get your marriage certificate legalised for acceptance in Thailand.
In the UK it must be legalised in the UK before entry to Thailand, whilst for the US their Embassy can legalise the marriage certificate. The requirement varies by Country.
 
These links may help;
https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/our-services/apostilles-authentications-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage/Pages/apostilles-authentications-and-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage.aspx
https://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/default.aspx


Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

As far as I know, currently only the O-A, O-X and EA visas allow initial stays of longer than 90 days. There might be some visa categories for diplomats that also allow long stay. 

Is that not more than one O type Visa allowing stays longer than 90 days, which is exactly what I stated.

 

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely correct their is more than one O type Visa allowing entries in excess of 90 days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you do a Multi entry you need to exit the country every 90 days. BUT, you do not need to deal with Immigration.  No reporting to them, no money in the bank. 

If you are close to a border, it may be to your advantage to do the multi entry.

 

yes it's clearly the best and smartest solution.

so funny that anyone prefers to deal with any immigration officer every 3 months when borders are so close...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you marry your Thai g/f in Australia you could apply direct for the Non O Visa either single or multiple entry.
 
You could then apply directly at your local IO for an extension based on marriage. Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or 40k transferred monthly to a Thai bank account.
In order to apply for the extension you would need to register your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.
You should research for the requirements to get your marriage certificate legalised for acceptance in Thailand.
In the UK it must be legalised in the UK before entry to Thailand, whilst for the US their Embassy can legalise the marriage certificate. The requirement varies by Country.
 
These links may help;
https://dfat.gov.au/about-us/our-services/apostilles-authentications-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage/Pages/apostilles-authentications-and-certificates-of-no-impediment-to-marriage.aspx
https://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/default.aspx
Hi Tanoshi and all. Am still confused about something. If I get a non O METV in Australia I do not need to show proof of funds? I can come to Thailand and then after 60 days go to Savannakhet and apply for extension or do I get the non o at Savannakhet and then go to the local IO. Regards

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you do a Multi entry you need to exit the country every 90 days. BUT, you do not need to deal with Immigration.  No reporting to them, no money in the bank. 

If you are close to a border, it may be to your advantage to do the multi entry.

Trips out of the country, xxxx baht. Not having to deal with a single other thing, priceless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

If I get a non O METV in Australia I do not need to show proof of funds? I can come to Thailand and then after 60 days go to Savannakhet and apply for extension or do I get the non o at Savannakhet and then go to the local IO. Regards

He was suggesting a multiple entry non-o visa not a METV. A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of entry. Requirements are here on the Canberra embassy website after entering your nationality and clicking image.png.c8c68a16161fc7e760d8202efd31b778.png . http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 

You can also get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the visa.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Joe. Again.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
He was suggesting a multiple entry non-o visa not a METV. A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of entry. Requirements are here on the Canberra embassy website after entering your nationality and clicking image.png.c8c68a16161fc7e760d8202efd31b778.png . http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 
You can also get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the visa.
 

 


Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do single entry extension of stay based on a child which gives me 90 days and I can extend that an additional 60 at local immigration. The 1 year equivalent requiring me to leave Thailand every 90 days makes no sense to me or my Mrs and in Savanaket there is no baht requirement for what I do although the baht is in the bank but I've never used any other option as it seems more work to leave every 90 than simply report at 90 and repeat every 150.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Joe for all. Do you think my previous visa history-3 METV s in 2 and a bit years will be held against me if this time I enter on a non O. Last time you advised me to enter by U-Tapao which worked fine. Do you think I should do again or straight through Swampy?

He was suggesting a multiple entry non-o visa not a METV. A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of entry. Requirements are here on the Canberra embassy website after entering your nationality and clicking image.png.c8c68a16161fc7e760d8202efd31b778.png . http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa 
You can also get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the visa.
 


Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Thanks Joe for all. Do you think my previous visa history-3 METV s in 2 and a bit years will be held against me if this time I enter on a non O.

Entering on a non-o visa is completely different than entering on a tourist visa. Non immigrant visas require proof of a valid reason to  apply for one which a tourist visa does not require.

You should have no problem entering the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again.

Entering on a non-o visa is completely different than entering on a tourist visa. Non immigrant visas require proof of a valid reason to  apply for one which a tourist visa does not require.
You should have no problem entering the country.


Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Is that not more than one O type Visa allowing stays longer than 90 days, which is exactly what I stated.

The Non O-A, Non O-X and Thailand Elite visas are no more Non O visas than a Non B or education visa. The only similarities are that they are all visas, and all must be applied for at an embassy or consulate. There are, indeed, a number of categories of Non O (the O stands for "other") but you cannot just call any kind of visa a Non O visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Non O-A, Non O-X and Thailand Elite visas are no more Non O visas than a Non B or education visa. The only similarities are that they are all visas, and all must be applied for at an embassy or consulate. There are, indeed, a number of categories of Non O (the O stands for "other") but you cannot just call any kind of visa a Non O visa.

Tim, I believe you misinterpreted the intention of my previous post which was not to contradict yourself or UJ, but to point out other 'O' type Visas, such as the O-A do allow stays longer than 90 days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...