BANGKOK 26 June 2019 03:37
drbrit

Non-O for Marriage - Better to get Single or Multiple Entries

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Tim, I believe you misinterpreted the intention of my previous post which was not to contradict yourself or UJ, but to point out other 'O' type Visas, such as the O-A do allow stays longer than 90 days.

OK, I will agree that the Non O-A and Non O-X visas are often erroneously believed to be some type of special Non O visas. If you were trying to point out that in spite of the similarity in names, they are actually distinct visas with completely different uses and rules, then your effort is worthwhile.

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

On a Non O visa (as opposed to an extension of your permission to stay) you should never be in Thailand more than 90 consecutive days, so address reporting is not required (whether you have a single entry of multiple entry Non O).

Right now I have a Non-Immigrant O-A (M) that expires on the 4 November 2019, I usually come to Thailand during the winter months and stay between 5-6 months.  So every 2nd year I come back before my Visa expires and get a 1-year extension.  What worries me is that if I come back to Thailand before my Visa expires, will they give me my normal 1year extension as before without a health insurance coverage?  And if I understand correctly, a Non-O Visa based upon marriage is only good for 90 days and if I want a 60-day extension, I need to show 400K Thai Bahts in my bank account over there, is this correct?  If it is the case, I am probably better off with a Tourist Visa.  I am from Canada, where we have free medical care, I also have an insurance that covers me for 40 days outside the country.  I will be 74 years old in December and in good health and if I have to be hospitalized in Thailand, I have enough money back home to cover any expenses but I hate like hell to give my money to insurance companies.  Thank you very much for your help.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Right now I have a Non-Immigrant O-A (M) that expires on the 4 November 2019, I usually come to Thailand during the winter months and stay between 5-6 months.  So every 2nd year I come back before my Visa expires and get a 1-year extension.  What worries me is that if I come back to Thailand before my Visa expires, will they give me my normal 1year extension as before without a health insurance coverage?  And if I understand correctly, a Non-O Visa based upon marriage is only good for 90 days and if I want a 60-day extension, I need to show 400K Thai Bahts in my bank account over there, is this correct?  If it is the case, I am probably better off with a Tourist Visa.  I am from Canada, where we have free medical care, I also have an insurance that covers me for 40 days outside the country.  I will be 74 years old in December and in good health and if I have to be hospitalized in Thailand, I have enough money back home to cover any expenses but I hate like hell to give my money to insurance companies.  Thank you very much for your help.

Immigration at the airport when you enter will not ask for proof of medical insurance. You will receive your one-year permission to stay. The requirement, should it be implemented, will only be enforced at the time you apply for the visa at the embassy. There is speculation that the requirement might later be extended to applications for an extension of stay based on retirement. Even should that happen, it will not affect you being stamped in as normal.

EDIT: You are correct that a Non O visa only gives you a 90-day stay. However, financial proof is not required for a 60-day extension, only if you want a one-year extension. Your wife must accompany you when you request the 60-day extension.

Edited by BritTim

19 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

What worries me is that if I come back to Thailand before my Visa expires, will they give me my normal 1year extension as before without a health insurance coverage? 

Yes.

The O-A Visa allows multiple 1 year entries before the enter before date.

90 day reports can be submitted at local IO's.

22 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

And if I understand correctly, a Non-O Visa based upon marriage is only good for 90 days and if I want a 60-day extension, I need to show 400K Thai Bahts in my bank account over there, is this correct? 

Non O allows 90 day entries, each entry can be extended by 60 days to visit Thai wife.

No funds are required for a 60 day extension.

A multi entry O can allow 17 months stay in Thailand if used to it's potential.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, noosard said:

Be aware flying into Thailand on a tourist visa the airline may require exit ticket

It used to a Visa took away the worry about this at the Thailand end. Hence the airline were less concerned. 

Edited by jacko45k

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, BritTim said:

No, all the Non O visas (also Non B, Non E etc.) allow 90-day entries. As far as I know, currently only the O-A, O-X and EA visas allow initial stays of longer than 90 days. There might be some visa categories for diplomats that also allow long stay

All smart visas allow permission to stay longer than 90-day but there is no 90-day reporting requirements. 

Edited by onera1961

On 5/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, BritTim said:

Immigration at the airport when you enter will not ask for proof of medical insurance. You will receive your one-year permission to stay. The requirement, should it be implemented, will only be enforced at the time you apply for the visa at the embassy. There is speculation that the requirement might later be extended to applications for an extension of stay based on retirement. Even should that happen, it will not affect you being stamped in as normal.

EDIT: You are correct that a Non O visa only gives you a 90-day stay. However, financial proof is not required for a 60-day extension, only if you want a one-year extension. Your wife must accompany you when you request the 60-day extension.

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.  So, my understanding is, if I come in before my Non Immigrant O-A expires on the 4 November, I should get my one year extension no problem.  That's good news.

2 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.  So, my understanding is, if I come in before my Non Immigrant O-A expires on the 4 November, I should get my one year extension no problem.  That's good news.

For the 60 day extension, do I have to go to Savannaket or can I get it from the Immigration office in Jomtien?

23 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

For the 60 day extension, do I have to go to Savannaket or can I get it from the Immigration office in Jomtien?

You apply for the extension at a immigration office.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you very much Ubonjoe, very helpfull information.

On a multi entry non-O visa, if you leave the country and then re-enter on the last day of validity, you will still get a 90 day stay, which can still be extended by 60 days at your local immigration office.

So on one ME non-O, you can get 365 + 90 + 60 days total, which is 17 months.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

On a multi entry non-O visa, if you leave the country and then re-enter on the last day of validity, you will still get a 90 day stay, which can still be extended by 60 days at your local immigration office.

So on one ME non-O, you can get 365 + 90 + 60 days total, which is 17 months.

Yes you can.

But you will not get exactly 365 days from the visa it will be a little under that. You can get almost 17 months of total stay.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

Do you know off hand how much it cost for the 60-day extension?  Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Gerard052 said:

Do you know off hand how much it cost for the 60-day extension?  Thanks in advance.

1900 baht

13 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

1900 baht

Thank you very much for the info.