BANGKOK 18 July 2019 10:01
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

5 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

So it's as clear as mud

Your negative words do nothing to improve the clarity of the subject.

26 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

...Mr Nattawuth seems to say that this applies to all of us...

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

An announcement published on the website of a ministry generally counts more than a newspaper article reporting something allegedly having been said by an official of that ministry.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

An announcement published on the website of a ministry generally counts more than a newspaper article reporting something allegedly having been said by an official of that ministry.

New here are you?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why would they list Thai companies?  Can you buy it by email?

Most of the companies are Thai, you can always go to a website and enter a credit card.

https://longstay.tgia.org

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

As usual IO's will consider it open to their own interpretation.

Their interpretation of "leniency" is not jailing you immediately.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People on an O-A stay for up to 2 years without putting any money in a Thai account. Maybe thats part of the whole idea to do with insurance for O-A

I am so confused. I obtained my OA VISA in Australia last year. So, according to the ruling, I need to have the health insurance. Yet part of the requirement for the VISA was to have a deposit of 800k in a Thai bank AC, which I had.

so, do I also have to keep the 800k in the bank for 2 month prior and 3 month after, then 400k after that?

Also, when I come to renew the VISA, am I ok to do this at the IO in Thailand?

Edited by ianezy0

51 minutes ago, khunpon said:

Just seen this article in Phuket News:

Full link here.

Like OP says only applies to O-A retirement visa.

Immigation police doesn't give visas, they are obtained from embassies and consulates outside Thailand, which fall under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Foreign affairs. He'll be waiting for his orders for a long time.

• Like 1

Approaching 90 days I got a visit from a couple of Immigration Police because they'd never seen the visa I have before.  All was okay, photos taken, fingers pointed, non alcoholic drinks accepted, but I wish they communicated with themselves before coming after us.  I'm 100% compliant with 'their' law.  If I was in BKK rather than Udon it wouldn't happen.

I still don't know if I have to buy a 2nd insurance for outpatient, or (preferably) put some cash on escrow, or another option.  Causes a lot of drama for the farangs/photocopier monitors and the rest of us so called low life payers.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

As usual IO's will consider it open to their own interpretation.

I would just like to know if Medicare is considered adequate cover. I would have to fly home, but I am already paying for it.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Maestro said:

So your saying what the Nation published was fake news?... and we all have our knickers in a tizzy because the owners of this forum quoted and published this alleged statement from a Thai official... And now this thread is walking it back...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Approaching 90 days I got a visit from a couple of Immigration Police because they'd never seen the visa I have before.  All was okay, photos taken, fingers pointed, non alcoholic drinks accepted, but I wish they communicated with themselves before coming after us.  I'm 100% compliant with 'their' law.  If I was in BKK rather than Udon it wouldn't happen.

I still don't know if I have to buy a 2nd insurance for outpatient, or (preferably) put some cash on escrow, or another option.  Causes a lot of drama for the farangs/photocopier monitors and the rest of us so called low life payers.

There should NEVER be a case where an IO official is unfamiliar with a particular type of visa. Poor training or total LACK of training??

Thanks for the clear as mud explanation. If it were not for the pictures of the Visas I would not have had a clue as to what you wanted to explain!

57 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you have out patient to 40,000?

No I don't and do not particualrly want it either.   I assure you to add outpatient cover to my insurance plan is very exepnsive as I explained and would mean rarely would you have a no claim year witrhthe nice 10% bonus back.  As I said outpatient costs are pretty small usually no more than about 400 Baht.  If I need a non inpatient single day procedure like say a colonoscopy I get pre authorisation from my insurance company which if the doctor says is a necessary procedure they approve and reimburse me up to the maximum cover for that procedure plus 80% of the excess too, so usually is fully covered unless I use the expensive private hospitals where I would usually incur some excess out of my own pocket and get reimbursed. 

For inpatient claims they pay usually just about all and without my paying up front and having the hassle to claim it back afterwards.  However, once again unless it is an expensive rip off private hostpital, they usually pay all less any rare but usually small excess, which I have to pay of course as per the policy schedule.    

I've been very satisfied up to now with my health insurance policy and looks like from this thread I do not need to add the unwanted and expensive outpatients cover now.  I do though agree it would be better if there was a National Health Insurance scheme which would be much cheaper than private insurance and just cover for state hospitals or certainly limit any private hoispital charge to no more than the state hospital equivalent charge for whatever the treatment you have. 

I did say this was the case as my IO told me but if it ever does become mandatory then I'll negotiate a 400,000 baht excess lol

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, rayw said:

No I don't and do not particualrly want it either.   I assure you to add outpatient cover to my insurance plan is very exepnsive as I explained and would mean rarely would you have a no claim year witrhthe nice 10% bonus back.  As I said outpatient costs are pretty small usually no more than about 400 Baht.  If I need a non inpatient single day procedure like say a colonoscopy I get pre authorisation from my insurance company which if the doctor says is a necessary procedure they approve and reimburse me up to the maximum cover for that procedure plus 80% of the excess too, so usually is fully covered unless I use the expensive private hospitals where I would usually incur some excess out of my own pocket and get reimbursed. 

For inpatient claims they pay usually just about all and without my paying up front and having the hassle to claim it back afterwards.  However, once again unless it is an expensive rip off private hostpital, they usually pay all less any rare but usually small excess, which I have to pay of course as per the policy schedule.    

I've been very satisfied up to now with my health insurance policy and looks like from this thread I do not need to add the unwanted and expensive outpatients cover now.  I do though agree it would be better if there was a National Health Insurance scheme which would be much cheaper than private insurance and just cover for state hospitals or certainly limit any private hoispital charge to no more than the state hospital equivalent charge for whatever the treatment you have. 

So I guess if some posters are correct and it includes retirement extensions you will be leaving Thailand?  I have A1A and mine does not include OP either and I have VA coverage for heart and other critical areas but no OP coverage except as it applies to heart issues and I called A1A and they know nothing about all of this 40k 400k stuff.  So I guess I'm out of luck too.  

Edited by marcusarelus