Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

webfact

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

By July, thanks to this explanation, we will no doubt see all types of long stay being included.

(It is useful for expats, but will be more useful for Thai Immigration unfortunately as the Thais are not capable of working this out for themselves.}

Now they know what to do it will be all encompassing, and validating health foreign policies will be almost impossible.

I'm packing already after Big Joke's round of changes.

The income validation is impossible for me as the portfolio managers cannot guarantee a consistent income and I get paid the premiums only every quarter, although it is actually above the required amount as an average.

Plus I'm not old enough for the monthly government pension or my private ones to start.

The "security" money required in a Thai bank should be an interest bearing account, and property ownership should be included in the calculation, so I strongly object to that.

The cost of health insurance at 60+ is just the last straw.

Leaving my family to fend for themselves seems to be the only option...

????

Thailand: A mainly polite but incompetent and uneducated population, led by the greedy and unconcerned rich.

fend for themselves? you cant go for 6-9  months every year and send money as well?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

????

Probably for the best so you don't land them with a huge medical bill they need to find money for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not to mention if he has a family here, there are plenty of visa or Extension options that do not have compulsory insurance requirements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

there are plenty of visa or Extension options that do not have compulsory insurance requirements.

I am very interested. Could you please be specific and mention by name which ones applicable for foreign retired males above fifty which are living permanently in Chiang Mai?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, Phuketshrew said:

Not seeing the rationale here. Surely it's the older retirees that are more likely to need health insurance rather than the many younger expats married to Thai's (who probably already have health cover anyway).

True but the rational part is a retired has a minimum of 400k baht in bank sitting there. And if not then he is elite and they know he has funds. Makes sence to me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I could never do that. I would rather do without for myself than leave them in the lurch. 

• Thanks 1

there are plenty of visa or Extension options that do not have compulsory insurance requirements.

I am very interested. Could you please be specific and mention by name which ones applicable for foreign retired males above fifty which are living permanently in Chiang Mai?
Get an Extension of Stay based on retirement, assuming you meet the financial requirements.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Thailand is following most other countries in the world.
Example..if a Thai person wanted to get a visa for eg..mainland europe for the purpose of retirement..he/she would have to have a rather fat bankbook and a top notch healthcare policy.
Think about it.

It's true that what's happening in Thailand is very similar to what's happening in the rest of the world.  Look at the growing nationalism and resentment of foreigners in the U.S., Europe, Australia, NZ, etc. (whether immigrants, foreign workers, retirees or just tourists).  People feel like they're being drowned in a flood of strangers who don't speak the local language or understand or respect the local customs.  They feel the flood of foreigners is out of control and they increasingly feel less at home in their own country.  Even if they recognize the economic advantages foreigners can bring, they just don't like it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Get an Extension of Stay based on retirement, assuming you meet the financial requirements.

That was the case 1-2 days ago. Today a lot points towards that that group also will be included. A lot of misunderstanding concerning concepts:

• It is common to call the extension of permission to stay for a renewal of the Non-Immigrant O-A or O VISA. The extension is not a visa.
  • renew and re-apply

I don't mind getting a reasonable insurance. Just show me a company that will take me with a suitable offer (fitting the immigration requirements).

Edited by carbon007
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTXR said:

They feel the flood of foreigners is out of control and they increasingly feel less at home in their own country.

They can thank Thai tourism, then, and direct their ire towards the Chinese whose numbers dwarf those of Westerners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the European countries I know and which have a mandatory insurance it is mandatory for the insurance companies as well to insure anybody. It cannot be a one sided requirement.

In Thailand nobody wants to have free health care and profit from somebody else. But I understand everybody who wants to stay if he has the funds to do that without being a burden. You could be 85 years old and a multimillionaire. And you would want to refuse this person to stay here by making it mandatory to have an insurance which nobody wants to offer ? This person is and will never be a burden financially and in my eyes it is not very compassionate to ignore that. You would do unspeakable harm to this person - completely unjustified. And I do not think the reasoning of "few collaterals that cannot be avoided" is appropriate. Especially if you think of the aim of this exercise. It is possible to have a solution that fits all. I think this is really the core of all this.

Of course you should have the means to be able to pay for your health, which could be demonstrated by having a sum in a fixed account. This would even guarantee that in case of sickness the bills can be paid for sure. An insurance company on the other hand might refuse to pay because of anything and nothing is gained. I thought the aim was to reduce the amount of unpaid bills. Just think yourself which approach would assist here more.
There are h/care ins co's which offer policies to very senior citizens.
Also..I am sure that the relevant authorities could eg..let expats leave a financial bond for h/care purposes with financial concerns.
Lets wait and see what transpires over the next few weeks shall we??

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, jessc said:

I thought this article was clear and helpful, even if the rules still are not. Thanks!

However, a suggestion: should this new requirement for mandatory health insurance ever be extended to apply to extensions based on retirement, perhaps the health insurance that Thai Visa is selling (notably, right along side these articles) could also be available to the full range of retirees who've lived in Thailand for many years - - often because paying full rate for medical care in Thailand is STILL less expensive than buying insurance back home. Currently the Pacific Cross insurance Thai Visa is hawking only covers people to age 64.

The expats who will be most effected by this requirement, if applied to extensions based on retirement, are those who have retired here on a fixed income, and who have aged out of basically any insurance (affordable or otherwise) available for purchase in Thailand. So, even if financially able to buy the insurance, they can't. And, likely, have no where to go to if unable to stay in Thailand.

You know the most ethical way is to show average  locked 40,000 in current account and average 400,000 in deposit....we all have that anyway... When I get my marriage renewal extension of stay....the account I always use is not the one I use for daily living.... they always verify if I have enough to live...but this is a relief..... because I thought of leaving Thailand......and at least for now breath easy.... Good day! raining here and so nice.... not sweating..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

By July, thanks to this explanation, we will no doubt see all types of long stay being included.

(It is useful for expats, but will be more useful for Thai Immigration unfortunately as the Thais are not capable of working this out for themselves.}

Now they know what to do it will be all encompassing, and validating health foreign policies will be almost impossible.

I'm packing already after Big Joke's round of changes.

The income validation is impossible for me as the portfolio managers cannot guarantee a consistent income and I get paid the premiums only every quarter, although it is actually above the required amount as an average.

Plus I'm not old enough for the monthly government pension or my private ones to start.

The "security" money required in a Thai bank should be an interest bearing account, and property ownership should be included in the calculation, so I strongly object to that.

????

Thailand: A mainly polite but incompetent and uneducated population, led by the greedy and unconcerned rich.

Not farway from my thoughts but you know to leave with bad feelings is what we will age with and not good for psychology,trust me on this......leave happily accept and move on is another matter....10 years ago I saw all the pluses.... built the house, relocated,and £ nearly 45%evaporated..... still hanging in there.....I also thought of going back to my Greek island and begin new beginnings.... morality,and present circumstances come in the way... Hmmmmm... Good day from the seaside....all the same...

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 12:42 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes you can get a second year ( permission to stay, using re entry permit to travel outside ) after your ME OA visa has expired ( 1 year after issue ).

Then after the second year you just extend for 1 year ( your permission to stay ) but of course have to show the Thai financial requirements. Yearly extensions then onwards.

An option ( which I was considering ) is to go back “ home “ to get another OA avoiding the money in Thai bank , of course this Health insurance malarkey has given me second thoughts.

I see what you mean.

Would only have to have the insurance for the first year and then convert into extension of stay

but yes, who wants to put 800k in a Thai bank at these exchange rates?

Maybe ED visa look like the best option? 

Question- I know about getting the second year from O-A visa by getting re-entry permit before visa expires as I have done this myself. But would the same apply for an original O retirement visa issued in Bangkok ?  I am asking this for a friend.

Question- I know about getting the second year from O-A visa by getting re-entry permit before visa expires as I have done this myself. But would the same apply for an original O retirement visa issued in Bangkok ?  I am asking this for a friend.
There's no such thing as a Retirement visa. An O or OA visa (purchased outside Thailand) can be converted into an Extension of Stay based on retirement in Thailand, if the financial requirements are met.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

It will be ok when the policy is originally vetted by the overseas Thai consulates 

but what when it comes to entries in Thailand.

Why would you want Immigration Officers verify this insurance when you arrive in Thailand ?? :blink:

No need. far easier to verify it in their foreign embassies or their local immigration offices.

30 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There's no such thing as a Retirement visa. An O or OA visa (purchased outside Thailand) can be converted into an Extension of Stay based on retirement in Thailand, if the financial requirements are met.

Thanks but this does not answer my question . My friend obtained his first type 0 based on retirement in Bangkok last year. Is he eligible to get a re-entry permit before expiration date which would give him a second year without applying for extension of stay ?

Thanks but this does not answer my question . My friend obtained his first type 0 based on retirement in Bangkok last year. Is he eligible to get a re-entry permit before expiration date which would give him a second year without applying for extension of stay ?

No. A re-entry permit on an O visa or Extension of stay just allows you to leave during the time permitted to stay but keep the same permitted to stay date - without it you lose it.

• Like 1

No, the second year “ freebie “ is only available with an OA . A handy little loophole that enabled relatively worry free living for two years.

I will miss it [emoji20]

So if you permanently keep a

Thai bank account with B 400,000 (Medical)

and another

Thai bank account with B 800,000 (Visa)

This will satisfy Thailands' Immegration 

And we can live here in peace ??

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There has been no such announcement from anywhere that the new rules for bank method retirement extension seasoning have anything to do whatsoever with medical insurance. 

... and even if they did allow increasing the bank method to 1.2M baht, how would the hospitals get the money out to pay the bills if the patient does a runner? They can't do it now with 800,000 in the bank (which is why they are complaining about unpaid bills), so why should increasing it to 1,200,000 make it any different?

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There has been no such announcement from anywhere that the new rules for bank method retirement extension seasoning have anything to do whatsoever with medical insurance. 

Furthermore, there's been no announcement that links any planned compulsory health insurance minimums to any sort of in-country, annual extension of stay.

Stress monkeys... the lot of 'em.