BANGKOK 25 June 2019 04:43
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

Make no mistake this requirement is for the coffin dodgers and if you're on a retirement visa it is you they want insurance for. Clearly a misinterpreted announcement at this stage. 100% for retired folks. Don't shoot the messenger just switch your brains on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, carbon007 said:

I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I realise (have been explained) that a "Retirement" visa (which I have) is not the same as an extension of a "Non-immigrant O-A" visa.

Let us see how long time this distinction will be upheld

Well in real terms there is no such thing as a retirement visa.

If you show cash in the bank and get what you call a retirement visa it's actually 1 year 'permission to stay'. 90 day reports are the clue.

If you apply for an O-A 'visa' in your own country it's officially called a 'long stay visa' and allows you to enter and leave Thailand as often as you like, however, if you stay longer than 90 days at any time then you must do a 90 day report.

You can get an O visa if you are married to a Thai or parent of a Thai, either single or multi entry visa, single lasts 90 days and can be converted to a 1 year 'extension of stay' at your local Imm' and do 90 day reports.

You can also convert your 'holiday visa' at Imm to a non O single 90 days? and change that to an extension of stay by showing cash in the bank and proof of being married etc.

You can also apply for a multi entry O visa at a consulate/embassy outside Thailand with each consulate/embassy's printed requirements. This means leaving Thailand and returning every 90 days.

Anyway go back to the OP and note the difference between a 'visa' and 'permission to/extension of stay.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Your comment about PC only covering to age 64 is completely wrong. PC accept new clients up to age 75. New clients 65 and over must have a full medical examination before being accepted. Once accepted PC will renew your plan until the day you die, even if you live to 110 or older. They have even come out with a new series of Platinum Plans for the over 50's, based on the new requirements. The same conditions with regards to age still apply.

Platinum prices too no doubt.

• Like 1

Just now, overherebc said:

Well in real terms there is no such thing as a retirement visa.

If you show cash in the bank and get what you call a retirement visa it's actually 1 year 'permission to stay'. 90 day reports are the clue.

If you apply for an O-A 'visa' in your own country it's officially called a 'long stay visa' and allows you to enter and leave Thailand as often as you like, however, if you stay longer than 90 days at any time then you must do a 90 day report.

You can get an O visa if you are married to a Thai or parent of a Thai, either single or multi entry visa, single lasts 90 days and can be converted to a 1 year 'extension of stay' at your local Imm' and do 90 day reports.

You can also convert your 'holiday visa' at Imm to a non O single 90 days? and change that to an extension of stay by showing cash in the bank and proof of being married etc.

You can also apply for a multi entry O visa at a consulate/embassy outside Thailand with each consulate/embassy's printed requirements. This means leaving Thailand and returning every 90 days.

Anyway go back to the OP and note the difference between a 'visa' and 'permission to/extension of stay.

Never heard that before.

A 90 day non O can be converted to a 1 year EOS at local immigration?

It appears.... It appears... It appears.... This article does nothing to clear the confusion. Simply sdds to it

3 hours ago, khunpon said:

Just seen this article in Phuket News:

Full link here.

Like OP says only applies to O-A retirement visa.

So at the end of the day,  Some must have insurance but others need not.

8 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Never heard that before.

A 90 day non O can be converted to a 1 year EOS at local immigration?

If you are married/parent and can show the money in the bank/income etc.

Not always the same requirements at different offices but generally the same-ish.

6 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Wait and see.
I am not a gossip monger..I was told this by someone who is in a position to know things.
The same person told me over 15 MONTHS ago about meetings being set up re healthcare insurance becoming mandatory

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I expected this as every contact with the UK embassy asked if I had health insurance, obviously a survey.

I expected this as every contact with the UK embassy asked if I had health insurance, obviously a survey.
Wait and see..meant to be sadly very soon..the 1st of July.!!
Remember expats only got 4/5 weeks notice re money in Thai banks re extensions..marriage/retirement..that was implemented ..think 1st of March.
Thailand is slowly catching up with many other countries re immigrants..that's all.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hey, maybe the Thais want only healthy, younger type retirees, like those age 50-58 coz those chaps visit brothels more frequently than older, sickly expat guys thus insuring a good brown envelope for the local cop.

i mean seriously,  why can anyone live, let live abroad or travel without any adequate health or medical insurance? one might as well play the russian roulette

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't know that.  Do we get a special deal?

Thai Visa Health Protect is what it's called (appears to be underwritten by Pacific Cross), and if you link to any of the articles titled something like "range of insurance offered in Thailand" it takes you to the Thai Visa Health Protect page: https://www.thaivisaprotect.com/quote-en/