Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

webfact

On 5/20/2019 at 1:26 AM, garyk said:

I agree, I am kinda curious what else they will do to extract money out of the expats, and long term hanger owners. I thought 800K was a stretch, then the 400K hit, that one caught me completely by surprise.  Now the insurance!  Damn, we need to start a pole to see who can guess the next thing they will hit us with... haha

Read the OP again, you are confused. 

On 5/15/2019 at 6:12 PM, gamini said:

I would love it. because of my age I can't get health insurance. The government could force insurance companies to insure everyone of every age, like in some other countries where it's against the law to discriminate against aged persons

Yeah, but guess what? You'll pay through the nose for it.  Let's see how much you love it then??

On 5/15/2019 at 3:55 PM, Kay McDonnell said:

Maybe media outlets should clarify the information before announcing these statements in future. 

If that’s the case, then no Thailand news would ever be reported. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They are a strange thing to begin with. F.ex, where did that 50y age limit come from? Nice round number?

Used to be 55 and 60 (depending on financial levels), reduced to age 50 in 1998.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my immigration office in Phitsanulok. Spoke with 3 different officers, and my wife spoke with them in Thai. Limited English but the gist of it was that "extention to stay" would not require health insurance. How informed they really are, I'm not sure. In my experience it is not uncommon for Thais to offer information they do not really know. Nonetheless its positive. We've got to just wait for something more official.

• Like 1

You are exactly correct, i would like to see real undisputed stats on this,was it immigration failing to track them down,hospital failing to report, it was probably both IF at all. I M O someone is fiddling the books to get the cash and falangs are a good target to blame. As we know hospital staff have been caught in the past.

I am not sure anyone ever blamed farangs for unpaid hospital bills. I believe it was “foreigners”. But, if paranoia is preferred.....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 5:42 AM, Straight8 said:

Yeah, but guess what? You'll pay through the nose for it.  Let's see how much you love it then??

In civilised countries everyone pays the same, in the end, on the average, throughout your lifetime. Young people complain about paying for the older guys but that's the time when you can best afford it.

Hello,

This mandatory insurance was supposed to be implemented on july 1st but I see no post on that subject since the beginning of june.

No news about it ? was is abandoned ?

Thanks

Edited by aixois
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Does anyone know where an eighty year old can buy medical insurance here in Thailand ?

Out of curiosity I checked Cigna Thailand for a quote for an 80yo male. 

They have a form that you just fill in quickly. No questions other than your age, email address and phone nr.

I chose the cheapest plan with a $7,500 deductible and premium paid a year in advance.

I was automatically quoted some THB 230,000 for one year.  ????

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2019 at 2:58 PM, Peterw42 said:

Maybe do some research before making statments that the insurance isnt available

Here is a list of several insurance companies that offer the 400/40 insurance requirements. These companies have been offering this insurance ever since the OX visa was introduced, the OX has the same 400k in/40k out requirements.

https://longstay.tgia.org

It is worth noting that the Guidelines statement... 

"Each applicant, including spouse and children, must hold Thai Health Insurance policy sold by authorized insurance companies only." 

This is deceiving. According to the April 2019 statement regarding the O-A health insurance initative, foreign health insurance that can be used in Thailand and meets minimum requirements is accepted. A question if you read this, do happen to have any annual amounts you can share with us on the listed Thai companies?

22 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

It is worth noting that the Guidelines statement... 

"Each applicant, including spouse and children, must hold Thai Health Insurance policy sold by authorized insurance companies only." 

This is deceiving. According to the April 2019 statement regarding the O-A health insurance initative, foreign health insurance that can be used in Thailand and meets minimum requirements is accepted. A question if you read this, do happen to have any annual amounts you can share with us on the listed Thai companies?

Not understanding your question. there is information on coverage and amounts  for insurance offered by Thai companies at the link

The announcement in April is not so relevant now as it was never implemented and a new announcement is supposed to be coming this week.

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not understanding your question. there is information on coverage and amounts  for insurance offered by Thai companies at the link

The announcement in April is not so relevant now as it was never implemented and a new announcement is supposed to be coming this week.

I was asking if you might have any personal numbers you have been quoted? For example 20,000 baht annual for a silver plan or anything like that. 

30 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It looks like yet another promised announcement has come and gone. This article was written August 18, 2019 and today is August 29th. Has the announcement been made?

37 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

It looks like yet another promised announcement has come and gone. This article was written August 18, 2019 and today is August 29th. Has the announcement been made?

They've been too busy counting the loot from the TM30 fines.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is from the Assist Thai Visa(A visa agency in Chiang Mai):

Breaking news. If you have an OA retirement Visa from outside Thailand and want to renew in Thailand you WILL REQUIRE MEDICAL INSURANCE.
This is currently for the OA visa only and will not effect Non O retirement visas! For more information contact [email protected].

I have not been able to confirm this from another source.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ib1b4 said:

Now confirmed ! Starts from October 31.

Hello

What is confirmed ?

for the OA visa only and will not effect Non O retirement visas  ?

of for everybody ?

Only for renewals ?

Thanks

Edited by aixois

12 hours ago, aixois said:

What is confirmed ?

for the OA visa only and will not effect Non O retirement visas  ?

of for everybody ?

Only for renewals ?

O-A's only are listed in the police order at this time. All else is guesswork. It may be the writing's on the wall for all long stayers, or it may be they just wanted to stick a massive disincentive on what had long been a very decent and popular visa option. 

The word "renewal" has been bandied around by officials since the announcement earlier in the year and has caused much confusion. There's no such thing as a renewal, only a permission to stay (which may run as far as 12 months beyond the date of the visa if someone enters just before it's expiry date); and an extension. Only two things can be done on a Non O-A, convert it to a retirement extension, or get a new one when it expires, so it's anyone's guess what they mean by renewal. What is unclear regarding the new rules is whether they're retroactively applied to Non O-A's that predate the rule or not, both in regard to the initial multiple entry period and extensions. 

Incidentally, with all the current topics running on this subject concurrently (the most helpful and detailed being in the visa section), perhaps it's better to close some of these older threads. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

O-A's only are listed in the police order at this time. All else is guesswork. It may be the writing's on the wall for all long stayers, or it may be they just wanted to stick a massive disincentive on what had long been a very decent and popular visa option. 

The word "renewal" has been bandied around by officials since the announcement earlier in the year and has caused much confusion. There's no such thing as a renewal, only a permission to stay (which may run as far as 12 months beyond the date of the visa if someone enters just before it's expiry date); and an extension. Only two things can be done on a Non O-A, convert it to a retirement extension, or get a new one when it expires, so it's anyone's guess what they mean by renewal. What is unclear regarding the new rules is whether they're retroactively applied to Non O-A's that predate the rule or not, both in regard to the initial multiple entry period and extensions. 

Incidentally, with all the current topics running on this subject concurrently (the most helpful and detailed being in the visa section), perhaps it's better to close some of these older threads. 

Ok Thanks

Initially I had a 3 month Non imgrant O visa and I now have a retirement extension of stay with multiple entries till april and will go back to thailand next month.

I guess there will be no problem to enter thailand in november 2019 and stay till april 2020 then.

I hope they will not ask insurance for the new extension, i will ask in march 2020

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 6:13 AM, tingtongtourist said:

nice troll.

it wouldnt suprise if Thailand visa agents have a side-business as clickbait genetators for Social Media sites though.

But it's true. Both OA visas - and extensions to OA visas - will require medical insurance from October 31. 

Here is the official police order. Scroll down for English...

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa&fbclid=IwAR23DDKtUNXRMsSlMKMdF4IYvf5bb14lb3eg2DInlvxIeUhJHc-sIGV7XRA

On 5/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, jessc said:

I thought this article was clear and helpful, even if the rules still are not. Thanks!

However, a suggestion: should this new requirement for mandatory health insurance ever be extended to apply to extensions based on retirement, perhaps the health insurance that Thai Visa is selling (notably, right along side these articles) could also be available to the full range of retirees who've lived in Thailand for many years - - often because paying full rate for medical care in Thailand is STILL less expensive than buying insurance back home. Currently the Pacific Cross insurance Thai Visa is hawking only covers people to age 64.

The expats who will be most effected by this requirement, if applied to extensions based on retirement, are those who have retired here on a fixed income, and who have aged out of basically any insurance (affordable or otherwise) available for purchase in Thailand. So, even if financially able to buy the insurance, they can't. And, likely, have no where to go to if unable to stay in Thailand.

Yes, and maybe they could offer a bridging/guaranteeing (or whatever) cover for those people who have existing cover they won't/can't drop for obvious reasons.