Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

webfact

48 minutes ago, connda said:

and is so full of exclusions for pre-existing conditions as to be fundamentally useless. 

Can see the powers-that-be coming down hard on pre-existing conditions sooner rather than later.

48 minutes ago, connda said:

but it doesn't meet the terms of Thailand's mandated insurance.

Presumably because it doesn't include out-patient cover??

Edited by OJAS

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe do some research before making statments that the insurance isnt available

Here is a list of several insurance companies that offer the 400/40 insurance requirements. These companies have been offering this insurance ever since the OX visa was introduced, the OX has the same 400k in/40k out requirements.

https://longstay.tgia.org

See my reply above - and if you already have insurance covering you for $1m plus in patient only what do you do.......

• Like 1

Very simple

Retired and got 800k in the bank to support yourself and get you home if it goes tits up ?  Visa granted.    Health/accident Insurance up to you but stupid not to have IMO

0ver 50 and either don't have, or don't want 800k in the bank etc ?  Must have proper health/accident insurance for Thailand so Thailand does not have to pay all your bills.

Personally I would rather my paid up taxes went to better causes than patching up and sending home yet another pisshead after his 10th motorbike crash.

That said. All this exposure will turn everyone you meet into an insurance agent with the best deals to offer. Wait and shop around.

Maybe it should apply to all long term residents over 50 as we are the ones who are most 

likely to need extensive, expensive hospital treatment when things go pear shaped.

The 800,000 Bht required for our extension will not suffice

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Maybe it should apply to all long term residents over 50 as we are the ones who are most 

likely to need extensive, expensive hospital treatment when things go pear shaped.

The 800,000 Bht required for our extension will not suffice

People on an O-A stay for up to 2 years without putting any money in a Thai account. Maybe thats part of the whole idea to do with insurance for O-A

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

People on an O-A stay for up to 2 years without putting any money in a Thai account. Maybe thats part of the whole idea to do with insurance for O-A

That exactly what I am thinking but the idea has been born and for me, that is a worry. This is a literal cash cow for certain parties. Maybe they want the O-A visa to die off? I thought it requirements without the need of bringing money in, too lax.

Edited by totally thaied up

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

It will be interesting. I assume our fav mod ubonjoe would have had input.  Personally until i hear from him anything immig related is hearsay.

GO JOE

Did you check out the forum he moderates?  That would be the first place I'd look.  I don't think he is primarily moderator of the Thai news forum. 

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

People on Non-O retirement extension through monthly income also need not put any money in a Thai account. So, will they be targeted, too?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

People on Non-O retirement extension through monthly income also need not put any money in a Thai account. So, will they be targeted, too?

How are they getting an extension without putting money in a Thai bank ? its 65k a month 800k pa

Looks like marriage visa applicants will skate by for now, I see that an O-A visa is a retirement visa and an O visa is a marriage visa. If Ubon Joe or anyone can confirm that O visa holders will not have to worry about the insurance requirement.

I'm all for being repsonsible and having the ability to cover, but of course the main problem is grappling with  deliberately unclear rules and other rules set to benefit the insurance companies and stiff people out of their money and the disconnects between immigration and embassies issuing visas,  and the inevitable bunglings because its new rules and procedures and oh sorry sir have to go back your country its the mistake. Or going to the bank to get the policy and "Sorry no have."

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

2 hours ago, jessc said:

I thought this article was clear and helpful, even if the rules still are not. Thanks!

However, a suggestion: should this new requirement for mandatory health insurance ever be extended to apply to extensions based on retirement, perhaps the health insurance that Thai Visa is selling (notably, right along side these articles) could also be available to the full range of retirees who've lived in Thailand for many years - - often because paying full rate for medical care in Thailand is STILL less expensive than buying insurance back home. Currently the Pacific Cross insurance Thai Visa is hawking only covers people to age 64.

The expats who will be most effected by this requirement, if applied to extensions based on retirement, are those who have retired here on a fixed income, and who have aged out of basically any insurance (affordable or otherwise) available for purchase in Thailand. So, even if financially able to buy the insurance, they can't. And, likely, have no where to go to if unable to stay in Thailand.

I got in touch with this company, and got nowhere. Cannot put birth year less than 1955, got un-helpful email reply. Still waiting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddy3943 said:

It's funny that sometimes immigration officers in various cities use various interpretations of their own laws...

It also shows the total lack of professionalism at the top of the said ministry and over many decades. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You get to stay, lol

I couldnt get one, dam elephantiasis and 3rd stage syphilis  

But they ignored your hepatitis and terminal haemorroids, yeh?   LOL

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1