BANGKOK
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

Question- I know about getting the second year from O-A visa by getting re-entry permit before visa expires as I have done this myself. But would the same apply for an original O retirement visa issued in Bangkok ?  I am asking this for a friend.

Question- I know about getting the second year from O-A visa by getting re-entry permit before visa expires as I have done this myself. But would the same apply for an original O retirement visa issued in Bangkok ?  I am asking this for a friend.
There's no such thing as a Retirement visa. An O or OA visa (purchased outside Thailand) can be converted into an Extension of Stay based on retirement in Thailand, if the financial requirements are met.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

It will be ok when the policy is originally vetted by the overseas Thai consulates 

but what when it comes to entries in Thailand.

Why would you want Immigration Officers verify this insurance when you arrive in Thailand ?? :blink:

No need. far easier to verify it in their foreign embassies or their local immigration offices.

30 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There's no such thing as a Retirement visa. An O or OA visa (purchased outside Thailand) can be converted into an Extension of Stay based on retirement in Thailand, if the financial requirements are met.

Thanks but this does not answer my question . My friend obtained his first type 0 based on retirement in Bangkok last year. Is he eligible to get a re-entry permit before expiration date which would give him a second year without applying for extension of stay ?

Thanks but this does not answer my question . My friend obtained his first type 0 based on retirement in Bangkok last year. Is he eligible to get a re-entry permit before expiration date which would give him a second year without applying for extension of stay ?

No. A re-entry permit on an O visa or Extension of stay just allows you to leave during the time permitted to stay but keep the same permitted to stay date - without it you lose it.

• Like 1

No, the second year “ freebie “ is only available with an OA . A handy little loophole that enabled relatively worry free living for two years.

I will miss it

So if you permanently keep a

Thai bank account with B 400,000 (Medical)

and another

Thai bank account with B 800,000 (Visa)

This will satisfy Thailands' Immegration 

And we can live here in peace ??

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There has been no such announcement from anywhere that the new rules for bank method retirement extension seasoning have anything to do whatsoever with medical insurance. 

... and even if they did allow increasing the bank method to 1.2M baht, how would the hospitals get the money out to pay the bills if the patient does a runner? They can't do it now with 800,000 in the bank (which is why they are complaining about unpaid bills), so why should increasing it to 1,200,000 make it any different?

10 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

but yes, who wants to put 800k in a Thai bank at these exchange rates?

Somebody without the proverbial pot to p!ss in?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There has been no such announcement from anywhere that the new rules for bank method retirement extension seasoning have anything to do whatsoever with medical insurance. 

Furthermore, there's been no announcement that links any planned compulsory health insurance minimums to any sort of in-country, annual extension of stay.

Stress monkeys... the lot of 'em.