BANGKOK 17 June 2019 01:31
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

9 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I would bet the vast majority of foreigners use private hospitals. In my 25+ years here, I have always used public hospitals. Rarely have seen another foreigner.

They are private companies, any of the quoted losses etc are losses to the public system. Ministry of public health wouldn't be chasing up losses on behalf of private companies.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

My visa agent says it does not apply to me, only to people getting visas from abroad.

We have spent the best part of a week fretting about nothing

I hope you're right.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

They are private companies, any of the quoted losses etc are losses to the public system. Ministry of public health wouldn't be chasing up losses on behalf of private companies.

Of course, I forgot, the government never works on behalf of private companies in Thailand. 

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

80% of the Thai population has never paid any income tax.

And those that do are in a different hospital system (SS)

None of the Thais using my local (SanSai) government hospital ever paid income tax, employees with SS use Lanna hospital.

But we all pay VAT and import duties, I could make an argument that foreigners use more imported goods and therefore pay more in taxes than normal Thais.

Not sure that buying imported cheese is paying the subsided portion of our hospital bills.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure that buying imported cheese is paying the subsided portion of our hospital bills.

I'm beginning to think you aren't a legitimate poster.

I can't believe you're this stupid, so you must be a troll.

Now on my ignore list.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I call BS. I seriously doubt pubic hospitals are incurring major losses due to long stay foreigners. Maybe the odd tourist that has a motorbike accident and does a runner. Other than that, nah.

Its not people doing a runner.

Any Thai hospital bill is 80% paid by the Government and 20% paid by the patient. Its the 80% foreigners are not paying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not people doing a runner.

Any Thai hospital bill is 80% paid by the Government and 20% paid by the patient. Its the 80% foreigners are not paying.

Huh? Which is it, the problem is public hospitals are subsidized (which the insurance won't have any effect on), or that foreigners are not paying their bills as was stated in the Nation article.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wimpy said:

Huh? Which is it, the problem is public hospitals are subsidized (which the insurance won't have any effect on), or that foreigners are not paying their bills as was stated in the Nation article.

I think there is a presumption that insurance will move foreigners over to the private system by default. once you have insurance you will go to the private every-time.

Insurance wont be paying the the subsidised portion of the bill, there wont be a subsidised portion, foreigners will be up the road getting treated at the private hospital.

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Again, subsidized healthcare is not what the stated problem was. According to the article, it was people not paying their (public and private) hospital bills. If subsidized healthcare was the problem, they could simply charge foreigners more, and the problem would be solved.

• Like 1