Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

webfact

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I understand the rule something like this some retirees need the mandatory insurance and other retirees do not need it and the price of the insurance is various.

I would add the word "maybe" need/not need. Otherwise its a great summery so far.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How are they getting an extension without putting money in a Thai bank ? its 65k a month 800k pa

There is no requirement for maintaining an account balance. As long as they get their 65K per month posted, they can withdraw it all the next day. That may be seen as a problem. 400,000 minimum maintained in a bank account permanently, as with the 800,000 retirees might be what they're thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah right- the only facts in that verbiage  is the paragraph "But it should be stressed that we are still awaiting clarification from Immigration regarding the interpretation and implementation of the new mandatory health insurance rules, including who exactly is affected". 

Perhaps a line should also be added to the headline- "In my opinion why...………………………………….."

Edited by IHTE

Having just scoured many Thai government websites etc it would appear that an NonO and a NonO-A visa are the same thing if either has been subsequently used to obtain an extension of stay, so all of us long-term farangs must have the health cover for our next renewal as far as I can tell.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kay McDonnell said:

Maybe media outlets should clarify the information before announcing these statements in future. 

It's hard for the news to be clear when the source announcements from the govt are unclear and vaguely worded.

Notwithstanding this latest article by TVF, the bottom line is, no one still really knows for certain whether retirement extensions will be covered or not.

4 minutes ago, pollyog said:

Having just scoured many Thai government websites etc it would appear that an NonO and a NonO-A visa are the same thing if either has been subsequently used to obtain an extension of stay, so all of us long-term farangs must have the health cover for our next renewal as far as I can tell.  

Maybe read the OP again, it appears its not for extensions of stay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

Perhaps the goal isn't to protect hospitals from foreigners who dash-out with unpaid medical bills. Maybe the purpose is to mandate a lucrative stream of money into the coffers of Thai insurance companies.

Of course. What this government has suddenly realized is that every time there is a shortage in cash flow, they can dream up some new requirement for expats on retirement extensions. First 400K/800K minimums. Now, the health insurance. Why not, say, a public utility fee, next? Expats use roads, electrical lines, water treatment, don't they? Shouldn't they pay a special fee for that, being outsiders?  How about "security fees" to reimburse innocent Thais who may be taken advantage of by unscrupulous Westerners? Makes as much sense as the expats absconding from hospitals and not paying. How about an English language fee to recover the government cost of putting all those documents and websites in exquisite English language prose? Westerners are usually larger than Thais, too; how about a public space fee for making the BTS, buses, and other public conveyances more crowded?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

Perhaps the goal isn't to protect hospitals from foreigners who dash-out with unpaid medical bills. Maybe the purpose is to mandate a lucrative stream of money into the coffers of Thai insurance companies. The banks have their 800K baht locked up in expat deposits; maybe insurance companies want their cut too. Which gives to reason to mandate policies with expensive premiums, but pay almost nothing in coverage: 400,000 baht coverage is a joke... many of us could pay that in cash or put it on a credit card. But doing that wouldn't enrich the status quo.

Yes, they just want a piece of that over 50, over weight, drinking, smoking, diabetes and heart disease pie. Insurance companies dream about customers like that, lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

This article should begin with an apology something like this: "We sincerely apologise for the previous article which was misleadling, uninformed and complete crap."

ah i don't know the original article seemed clear enough to me..

the comments after it not so much ????

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, pollyog said:

I have the same worry, that there will be some kind of conflation of the two visa types, though I don' think it would happen via the way you are suggesting. The ask for proof of insurance would be happening at the embassies issuing visas and I can't imagine that the embassies would have info from immigration about whether we have used a plain O visa to get an extension of stay. Typically, Thai govt branches don't cooperate much. What seems strange to me is that they don't just ask all long term stayers to get insurance, why the focus on retirees? Seems there would be more money in charging for insurance from people below 50. My guess is that very soon, without missing a beat, they'll just throw the non-O long termers in with the retirees. I suppose it is better to just put all this on the back burner till we get reports back of what is happening to people when applying at embassies. Not too nice to have to go all the way to some embassy not knowing anymore what will be required, but rather Thailand in modus operandi as usual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

And are they equally happy to take the wives and children ? Or do they stay in Thailand ?

That’s when you can just smell nationalistic prejudice in the land of (false) smiles. 

Tough cookie your immediate family has nothing to do with the issue and out humanity to a family unit is non existent. 

• Like 1

I dont think this is off topic, but maybe you might take it on board. we returned to live in the uk 2016. my Thai wife's  UK visa was all ok, but we had to pay almost £900  (about 38,000 baht) for a 2.5 year UK national health insurance for her. Once she becomes full resident, she will of course have access to full free National health here.  So its not a lot to ask expats to have that security for health. But older ex pats could feel the pinch, if they are too old to get a policy, they could will see the bank money they need go way up.

2 hours ago, carbon007 said:

I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I realise (have been explained) that a "Retirement" visa (which I have) is not the same as an extension of a "Non-immigrant O-A" visa.

Let us see how long time this distinction will be upheld

There is no extension of a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa. It has to be  renewed in your home country.

Neither is there an extension of the Non-Immigrant O Visa, you can get an extension of stay based on retirement. But the visa remains the visa. The extension doeas not state Visa.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Probably the majority of expats here (and many officers as well) say "renew visas" when talking about annual extensions in Thailand.

Which is something nobody should be doing as it just creates confusion. One small thing everyone can do is not to parrot the immigration Thaiglish where extension=visa when in fact extension!=visa.

• Like 2