BANGKOK 21 July 2019 16:23
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

17 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Have to correct you slightly on that. The Pacific Cross Platinum Plans for this insurance are brand NEW. They have only came into existence about 2-3 weeks ago.

It's kind of a mix of the two things....

The original O-X health insurance page that's been around for a while long had only 3 insurers listed, and none of them were ones particularly used by or well known by farangs...

Then more recently, the list expanded from 3 to 6 I believe, with the addition of Pacific Cross, AXA and I think one other. I don't know if the new ones were added because they were told the O-A requirement was coming, or whether they were finally just trying to get a piece of the very small O-X visa business.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Have to correct you slightly on that. The Pacific Cross Platinum Plans for this insurance are brand NEW. They have only came into existence about 2-3 weeks ago.

While that is true, 5 of the 6 insurers clearly refer to the O-X visa when talking "long stay" by referring to the period ("5 years") and in most cases the "14 countries". Reviewing the age conditions most of them don't offer insurance to someone joining after age 75, although some of them guarantee renewal up to age 100. Only one of them doesn't mention a maximum joining age (Viriyah) and I'd almost be prepared to bet money that that's an oversight, not a feature.  The O-A visa is not mentioned.  Most have an annual maximum claimable amount - the lowest being the 400,000 baht figure

Edited by ThaiBunny

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Then more recently, the list expanded from 3 to 6 I believe, with the addition of Pacific Cross, AXA and I think one other.

It's good to hear that they are capable of adding to the list.  I am with Aetna (Thailand), formerly BUPA (Thailand) and have been for quite a few years.  I would hate to be forced to change companies just because my company is not on some random list.  I'm too old for all this!!

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, losername said:

It's good to hear that they are capable of adding to the list.  I am with Aetna (Thailand), formerly BUPA (Thailand) and have been for quite a few years.  I would hate to be forced to change companies just because my company is not on some random list.  I'm too old for all this!!

Here's the current group. I think the original three for the O-X visa program were Thaivivat, Viriyah and Navakij, which I'd never heard mentioned in any farang insurance circles before seeing them become part of the O-X insurance pool.

I think the more recent newcomers are Pacific Cross, AXA and Bangkok.

871356239_2019-05-1915_26_51.jpg.f2cf7c6f5d5997284aaeca080398fee9.jpg

https://longstay.tgia.org/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So much fuss about something that is for once very sensible.

For all those complainers out there just ask yourselves what hoops your country makes a Thai who wants to live in your home country jump through. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, Peterw42 said:
On 5/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, carbon007 said:

I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I realise (have been explained) that a "Retirement" visa (which I have) is not the same as an extension of a "Non-immigrant O-A" visa.

Let us see how long time this distinction will be upheld

If you have been here for 12 years you have an extension of stay based on retirement, unless you go home each year and get a new OA visa. 

you get an extension of your stay not an extension of a visa.

a permit which is in every country of this planet called a visa gets rechristened as "extension of stay" by Thai immigration has to be accepted with a smile and a "this is Thailand" :smile:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

Lots ,but then Britain has free housing ,free health care ,social security if your not working yes you can work if you want to ,etc etc ,does Thailand have this for us? No we have to keep money in the bank or bring in 65k a month to the country,so please dont post silly posts.
Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes to all of that but you forgot "can buy a Premier League Soccer club".  

Lots ,but then Britain has free housing ,free health care ,social security if your not working yes you can work if you want to ,etc etc ,does Thailand have this for us? No we have to keep money in the bank or bring in 65k a month to the country,so please dont post silly posts.

The income or savings requirements are far higher for settling in the UK than for Extensions of Stay in Thailand. Plus UK requires a NHS payment (basically insurance), TB certificate and Thais have to pass a basic English test.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

What the article fails to state is; what type of Visa is a typical retirement extension granted on? Non-Imm O?

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

The income or savings requirements are far higher for settling in the UK than for Extensions of Stay in Thailand. Plus UK requires a NHS payment (basically insurance), TB certificate and Thais have to pass a basic English test.

My sister in law lives there,my wife lived there,my son went to school there ,no problems , dont exagerate.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Interesting points being made here and I do not know the detailed requirements but I suspect we are not comparing like with like.  English test?  Isn't that related to citizenship?  Anyway, income and savings are obviously higher, it's more expensive.

2 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

So much fuss about something that is for once very sensible.

For all those complainers out there just ask yourselves what hoops your country makes a Thai who wants to live in your home country jump through. 

Dont make me laugh......Open your eyes...

The one and only thing Thailand ever gave expats was a easy visa.....And they want to take even that away.....Thailand deserves absolutely nothing in the way of increasing  visa requirements...
The western visa requirements may be high but once your there the the state benefits can be huge if you play your cards right...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I gather your cheap fix was at a government hospital.

Interesting about accidents, if the vehicle insurance covers it why do so many visitors start a gofundme to pay the bills?

Perhaps because the vehicle is not theirs, possibly a hired motorbike and the insurance doesn't cover them personally and if they are tourists their holiday insurance won't pay up either.

My sister in law lives there,my wife lived there,my son went to school there ,no problems , dont exagerate.

I'm not saying they are "problems". They're just requirements for a Settlement visa. Easy to meet if you have enough money and good enough English.

• Like 1