Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it's as clear as mud

I thought this article was clear and helpful, even if the rules still are not. Thanks! However, a suggestion: should this new requirement for mandatory health insurance ever be extended to apply to

Not yet. It will apply to everyone eventually.  

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

People want to get into the UK for a reason, and it's not the weather or the food!

Every year when I am in Benidorm for three months (like now) I spend a few weeks in London for food only. London, I consider the food capital of the world. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Confused 1

Totally unclear.  I seem to remember that I started with a 3 Month Non-IM A Visa and this was extended to a 365day Retirement Visa.  This I extend every year at my local IO, presenting all the required paperwork which becomes more onerous every year.

Am I going to need health Insurance this year?   

If so where do I get it??

I would have expected this thread to have links to insurers offering the policies we need to get a retirement visa, but the only link I find does nothing and goes nowhere.

3 or 4 years ago, Khun wife tried to buy health insurance with a Thai company she was using.  I filled in all the forms and paid some premium, but was then rejected as I was 'not Thai enough'  Premium was returned, so I now have to carry my own risk.

Has anyone on TV bought themselves insurance as required?  How much and here from.

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

You are delusional if you think this will not apply (soon) to those holding "retirement" visas or every other type of long stay status

I agree, I am kinda curious what else they will do to extract money out of the expats, and long term hanger owners. I thought 800K was a stretch, then the 400K hit, that one caught me completely by surprise.  Now the insurance!  Damn, we need to start a pole to see who can guess the next thing they will hit us with... haha

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, garyk said:

I agree, I am kinda curious what else they will do to extract money out of the expats, and long term hanger owners. I thought 800K was a stretch, then the 400K hit, that one caught me completely by surprise.  Now the insurance!  Damn, we need to start a pole to see who can guess the next thing they will hit us with... haha

a spelling test? lol😁😁😁😁😁😁

On 5/18/2019 at 8:43 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

of course. its a shakedown

Costs 46000 baht for 1 years cover for a 52 year old. Would much rather put in bank an extra 400,000 baht making it 1.2 million deposit rather than pay 46000 a year which will only increase in age.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, garyk said:

guess the next thing they will hit us with..

Knowing the Thai language, or being prepared to start classes (at a price naturally). 

6 hours ago, haymanpl said:

Costs 46000 baht for 1 years cover for a 52 year old. Would much rather put in bank an extra 400,000 baht making it 1.2 million deposit rather than pay 46000 a year which will only increase in age.

I decided to live here around that age. If the insurance requirement had been in place then, I could have had the joy of paying A$40,000 over 20 years for SFA, except that my decision of where to live would not have been Thailand.

Do the maths; 10 people pay B460,000 each year. Allowing B60,000 for admin, if 1 in 10 is not maxing their insurance, the companies are making obscene profits at our expense.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, tingtongtourist said:

but yes, who wants to put 800k in a Thai bank at these exchange rates?

Or equivalent in another currency in a FCD account.