BANGKOK 18 August 2019 12:18
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

by your record of when you came thru your home country immigration. 

My country immigration don‘t monitor it in my passport.
For me it is quite easy to claim as my Thai wife lives permanently in my home country

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes I've been using these travel insurance policies they are commonly called "backpacker insurance" (very different to annual travel insurance) but often have an upper age limit often 49. I've seen them as much as 18 months long, i usually get 9 months, but often the policy T&Cs will say you need to be your home country (UK in my case) for 6 months before, but they don't seem to check that 
They may not check when they issue the policy but they will if you have a large claim. Make sure you are in full compliance with whatever the requirements are and provide accurate trip dates.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Surely, in terms of this thread, the point is whether Immigration would accept the policy as satisfying their needs.  I see this as a problem.  IO with no training in, or understanding of, health insurance trying to interpret the terms of a policy which may not even be in Thai.  Always easier to say "no".

• Like 1

If some preconditions like diabetes apply the insurance policy doesn’t cover this., if they will claim that your condition is caused by this. So no money

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

For what age? what's the name of that policy?

I'm in my 50's .

Sapphire medium plan. It's the cheapest insurance from AETNA. No OPD, but it covers most in-patient cases and ICU room.  

Ruby would be a better choice but you have to add around 5000. 

https://www.aetna.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/get-quote-plan.aspx?t=s&a=51&gids=8,5&class=1#.XOJTmVIzbIV

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The income or savings requirements are far higher for settling in the UK than for Extensions of Stay in Thailand. Plus UK requires a NHS payment (basically insurance), TB certificate and Thais have to pass a basic English test.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

BS, My mates bird was scared to go to hospital in England due to the foreseeable costs...... She was amazed when they sorted her out and sent her on her merry way....... All for free...... Try that on in Bumyourdad hospital and you'll be in the choki faster than a bacon butty seller in a mosque.......

• Like 2

BS, My mates bird was scared to go to hospital in England due to the foreseeable costs...... She was amazed when they sorted her out and sent her on her merry way....... All for free...... Try that on in Bumyourdad hospital and you'll be in the choki faster than a bacon butty seller in a mosque.......
The NHS is great. Your mate's "bird" didn't really get treated for free, as Settlement visas require a NHS fee of (I think £400) to be paid, for the initial visa and then again for LTR. But it's still good value.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in my 50's .
Sapphire medium plan. It's the cheapest insurance from AETNA. No OPD, but it covers most in-patient cases and ICU room.  
Ruby would be a better choice but you have to add around 5000. 

https://www.aetna.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/get-quote-plan.aspx?t=s&a=51&gids=8,5&class=1#.XOJTmVIzbIV
To be honest, cover looks low. Not good value. i tried various options. I doubt the cover would go very far in a private hospital, maybe government, I'm not sure

The NHS is great. Your mate's "bird" didn't really get treated for free, as Settlement visas require a NHS fee of (I think £400) to be paid, for the initial visa and then again for LTR. But it's still good value.

My wife was never asked for it

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I doubt the cover would go very far in a private hospital, maybe government, I'm not sure

i have used my insurance only at private hospitals in Bangkok.

Silom Christian hospital, Saint Louis hospital Sathorn, Camillian hospital Sukhumvit. And BNH . 

Of course if you only visit the most expensive hospitals like Bumrungrad it will not cover a lot. 

One time I had a back problem and the expenses for using MRI scan incl the doctor fees was covered by the insurance.  

I agree it's not an extensive coverage , but I am fit for my age and I will not spend more money than necessary on insurance in Thailand.  

If I travel outside of LOS  my travel insurance will cover almost anything. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That £400 went up to £600 for the initial 2.5 years with another £600 for the next 2.5 years.............and I believe each of those £600 payments increased to £900 as from last month.

• Like 2

That £400 went up to £600 for the initial 2.5 years with another £600 for the next 2.5 years.............and I believe each of those £600 payments increased to £900 as from last month.
I guess it's still good value, but when you add on the extortionate costs for the visa and LTR, the income requirements and other tests, it's beyond the reach of some people.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Has anyone found travel insurance which meets the anticipated requirements including outpatient ? All of the policies I have seen seem to be for emergency cover only. I live in Thailand 6-7 months a year only and dropped my Thai health insurance once I was forced to buy Medicare in USA. I plan to apply for new O-A visa in early June before traveling to Thailand for long stay in early July so I don’t anticipate a problem this year.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1