BANGKOK
webfact

Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

4 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Many of us have insurance. Mine is up to 18 million a year but with no OPD. OPD would almost double my already high premiuM. Who in his right mind would pay for OPD when it is so cheap.

Yes many do, quite rightly so. It's the idiots in the minority that are an issue; if they can't afford it, then like any country they are not particularly welcome!  OPD (assume you refer to outpatient) is not bank-busting like cancer or being on life support after a crash or something similar. 18 million should cover pretty much everything in LOS many times over - 1-5m is generally sufficient.

What I have not spotted is how much minimum cover will be required to qualify - many different policies available with a variety of levels.

Hi there/.

I am now so confused? with this change?

I am on a Non O visa now (due for extension in July) based upon taking care of my Mixed Thai daughter?

Am i affected  now for purchasing insurance? mandatory yes or no?

what i.ve seen is OA visa's only for now?

please can you conform? help me?

thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ericdiam said:

Have a NON-O- retirement visa ending 27 June 2019

Will go to immigration for RE-ENTRY PERMIT

Will I need the health insurance here already this time? Or there is not change in requirements here so far?

Just curious, but why don't you have any?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, alzack said:

I dont think this is off topic, but maybe you might take it on board. we returned to live in the uk 2016. my Thai wife's  UK visa was all ok, but we had to pay almost £900  (about 38,000 baht) for a 2.5 year UK national health insurance for her. Once she becomes full resident, she will of course have access to full free National health here.  So its not a lot to ask expats to have that security for health. But older ex pats could feel the pinch, if they are too old to get a policy, they could will see the bank money they need go way up.

£360 a year, regardless of age and health. 

Okay, so maybe I’m just too thick to grasp all of this..

what about those who are Retired and Married to a Thai ?

5 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Just curious, but do you work for an insurance company?

Nope.  Just wondering why Russian Roulette is so popular with travelers

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

It also shows the total lack of professionalism at the top of the said ministry and over many decades. 

I agree but personally would replace the word professionalism with something more apt. Brains perhaps.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thai immigration is testing the waters, if there's no "outrage", they'll simply expand their policies to other visa classes and extensions. Which they might do regardless. It's a risk factor.

Did they test the waters for expanding the retirement extension seasoning period?