BANGKOK 16 June 2019 23:32
Davejf2017

Change visa type O/A to O over 50 (retirement)

With all the hype about having to have health insurance with O/A visa and extension of O/A over 50 (retirement) would it be possible to change to a O visa and then a extension of this being over 50 (retirement).I know that for that type you have to show 800,000 baht as coming from abroad I will get a list of requirements from immigration (Jomtien) as Health insurance is outrageous.I look forward to hearing views on this.

• Thanks 2

It is certainly possible, I know someone who did it. However, I doubt that will obviate this brand new requirement for health insurance, which is so new that we have very few details.  I renewed my annual Extension of Stay for Retirement in March, so won't be doing so again for another 10 months.

41 minutes ago, allane said:

However, I doubt that will obviate this brand new requirement for health insurance, which is so new that we have very few details.

Agreed. My gut feeling is that whether the OP has an OA or O visa will prove a red herring, and that the crucial factor will be that he is over 50.

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Agreed. My gut feeling is that whether the OP has an OA or O visa will prove a red herring, and that the crucial factor will be that he is over 50.

Your gut feeling may be right, probably is. However, for the record, one of the original threads sez:

Approved by the Cabinet last month, the new regulation will require expats on the

long-stay non-immigrant O-A visa to have health insurance that offers Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and Bt400,000 for inpatient. http://bit.ly/2HvXEVi  

• Like 1

I think it is too early to make final decisions or explanaations to this stuff. There are still too many things not clear.

Like what do they mean with renew a visa? As i know you cannot renew a Visa. Just make a new one or do a extension. 

What is with the O Visa(Thai Family or Marriage). If you apply for a new one outside of Thailand? 

• Like 2

Just now, nihil30 said:

I think it is too early to make final decisions or explanaations to this stuff. There are still too many things not clear.

Like what do they mean with renew a visa? As i know you cannot renew a Visa. Just make a new one or do a extension. 

What is with the O Visa(Thai Family or Marriage). If you apply for a new one outside of Thailand? 

At this stage I would say 'renew' means obtain a new one. As an O visa is not a 'long stay' it does not require medical insurance, unlike an OA.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

better to cover yourself at this rate.. 

I agree, but it doesn't seem to be an option. Then there are those that don't bother either way!

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only have to show proof of insurance to a apply for a the OA visa at a embassy or official consulate. 

Visas are not extended only the permit to stay from one is extended.

When you apply for a a extension of stay based upon retirement of the last entry from the OA visa no proof of insurance would be required.

Just for my peace of mind , My OA visa expires on July 17th I am planning a day trip to Cambodia a week before and re enter to get the second year from the OA, If these insurance laws are introduced on July 1st will it affect my permission to stay for a further year if I dont have insurance? or should i take the trip in June ?

Just now, wozza said:

Just for my peace of mind , My OA visa expires on July 17th I am planning a day trip to Cambodia a week before and re enter to get the second year from the OA, If these insurance laws are introduced on July 1st will it affect my permission to stay for a further year if I dont have insurance? or should i take the trip in June ?

No.