Change visa type O/A to O over 50 (retirement)

With all the hype about having to have health insurance with O/A visa and extension of O/A over 50 (retirement) would it be possible to change to a O visa and then a extension of this being over 50 (retirement).I know that for that type you have to show 800,000 baht as coming from abroad I will get a list of requirements from immigration (Jomtien) as Health insurance is outrageous.I look forward to hearing views on this.

• Thanks 2

It is certainly possible, I know someone who did it. However, I doubt that will obviate this brand new requirement for health insurance, which is so new that we have very few details.  I renewed my annual Extension of Stay for Retirement in March, so won't be doing so again for another 10 months.

41 minutes ago, allane said:

However, I doubt that will obviate this brand new requirement for health insurance, which is so new that we have very few details.

Agreed. My gut feeling is that whether the OP has an OA or O visa will prove a red herring, and that the crucial factor will be that he is over 50.

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Agreed. My gut feeling is that whether the OP has an OA or O visa will prove a red herring, and that the crucial factor will be that he is over 50.

Your gut feeling may be right, probably is. However, for the record, one of the original threads sez:

Approved by the Cabinet last month, the new regulation will require expats on the

long-stay non-immigrant O-A visa to have health insurance that offers Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and Bt400,000 for inpatient. http://bit.ly/2HvXEVi  

• Like 1

I think it is too early to make final decisions or explanaations to this stuff. There are still too many things not clear.

Like what do they mean with renew a visa? As i know you cannot renew a Visa. Just make a new one or do a extension. 

What is with the O Visa(Thai Family or Marriage). If you apply for a new one outside of Thailand? 

• Like 2

Just now, nihil30 said:

I think it is too early to make final decisions or explanaations to this stuff. There are still too many things not clear.

Like what do they mean with renew a visa? As i know you cannot renew a Visa. Just make a new one or do a extension. 

What is with the O Visa(Thai Family or Marriage). If you apply for a new one outside of Thailand? 

At this stage I would say 'renew' means obtain a new one. As an O visa is not a 'long stay' it does not require medical insurance, unlike an OA.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only have to show proof of insurance to a apply for a the OA visa at a embassy or official consulate. 

Visas are not extended only the permit to stay from one is extended.

When you apply for a a extension of stay based upon retirement of the last entry from the OA visa no proof of insurance would be required.

Just for my peace of mind , My OA visa expires on July 17th I am planning a day trip to Cambodia a week before and re enter to get the second year from the OA, If these insurance laws are introduced on July 1st will it affect my permission to stay for a further year if I dont have insurance? or should i take the trip in June ?

Just now, wozza said:

Just for my peace of mind , My OA visa expires on July 17th I am planning a day trip to Cambodia a week before and re enter to get the second year from the OA, If these insurance laws are introduced on July 1st will it affect my permission to stay for a further year if I dont have insurance? or should i take the trip in June ?

No. 

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You only have to show proof of insurance to a apply for a the OA visa at a embassy or official consulate. 

When you apply for a a extension of stay based upon retirement of the last entry from the OA visa no proof of insurance would be required.

I have a retirement Visa that expires on the 4 November 2019 and I intend to come back to Thailand at the end of October.  Do you think that I will be able to get an extension of stay without health insurance proof? Also if they turn me down and only get a 30-day permission of stay, do you think that I will be able to get a Non-O Visa based upon marriage without health insurance proof or is it still unclear?  Thanks for your great help as always.  Cheers.

13 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Do you think that I will be able to get an extension of stay without health insurance proof?

Currently there is no requirement for health insurance to obtain an Extension of Stay. Nor have any plans been announced. 

It appears an inaccurate news report is causing a lot of concerns. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, wozza said:

I think I would go in June to be safe.. that gives you a year to sort out where you want to go from there..

• Thanks 1

I currently have a marriage extension to my Immigrant -O visa. I planned on changing this to a normal retirement visa or extension. ( confused about using current immigrant O for retirement extension or do I have to get a O-A retirement visa) Also if I already have a immigrant O visa with extensions would changing it to retirement mean I have to have Health insurance or not? 

Edited by Capealava

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Firstly it has not yet been announced that health insurance will be a requirement for Extensions. Simply for Non-Imm OA Visas obtained in your own country. 

A person can always get a new Visa, but it would not make any difference. An Extension originating on an OA is the same as that on a regular O Visa, actually both an Extension of the Permission to Stay. 

A retirement Extension would require you to show 800,000 in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the application, no need to prove the source of the money.

Why do you regard Health Insurance as outrageous? It would seem a good idea if you are living in Thailand, there is no free Healthcare. What is outrageous is the size of hospital bills. 

I agree with almost all of your post but would add that health insurance or enough funds to cover a health event is wise.  I have enough in savings here to cover me plus a few credit cards.  

A few few years back I had hand surgery at a private hospital in Chiang Rai.  The bill was much less than what I would have paid in the US. I would have paid 3 times more in the US with insurance because of my deductible.

• Like 1

I initially received my first and only Non-Imm O-A visa 16 years ago.  Lived in Thailand ever since.  I have changed from retirement to support visas and back again over the years.  My current visa status is retirement, although I have a wife and child.  It is unclear at this point whether I will be required to have health insurance when I go for my visa extension later this year.  I am 72 years old.  A cursory review of Thai insurance companies show that I am above the age of insurance coverage.  Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

I currently have a marriage extension to my Immigrant -O visa. I planned on changing this to a normal retirement visa or extension. ( confused about using current immigrant O for retirement extension or do I have to get a O-A retirement visa) Also if I already have a immigrant O visa with extensions would changing it to retirement mean I have to have Health insurance or not? 
No. The requirement for insurance is for people applying for OA or OX visas in their home country.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hope you are right Joe, there is so much confusion on this matter, I originally came here on an OA but since have been on extensions of stay, don't have to renew again until next April so hopefully by then it will be sorted out

The stupidity of this new compulsory insurance is that it only applies to new applications of a Non-Imm O-A applied for in your home country.. To get approval for an OA you have to show you have min. of 800k Thb or equiv in another currency in a financial institute in your home country at time of application, but is required in a Thai bank when you further apply for another year of extension to stay when your visa effectively would expire. This one year visa effectively can give an additional one year, by leaving Thailand and returning just prior to your one year expiry. 

If insurance is now required on application of Non-Imm O-A from your home country, it would only apply for your first year.. What about extending to the almost two full years? How could it be enforced for this second year? 

If lack of insurance and so called non payment of existing hospital stays is the issue, why isn't insurance discussed for other visa types O, B instead of just new applications of OA? 

As is usual in Thailand, to little thought applies to any new implementation of rules, and policy changes, who can't even get the numbers correct with a calculator. TIT.. 

I see that possible amendments will take place that will make insurance compulsory for all visa types for age 50+ at time of renewal of your extension to stay.. IMHO.. Time will tell.. 

And for anyone with a pre-existing chronic health condition, insurance may be unobtainable or excessively unaffordable.. And the same will apply to those 70+.. 

Edited by owenm
Edit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There has been no announcement that Health Insurance will be required to renew Extensions.

See this from the Phuket News..............It includes those applying to "renew" their one year permits to stay. Surely this refers to the retirement extensions we renew every year?

“The insurance policy must provide up to B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to B400,000 for inpatient treatment during their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand,” Dr Nutthawut said.

The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.

www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#kimf7zlHsmOva8Uu.97 

See this from the Phuket News..............It includes those applying to "renew" their one year permits to stay. Surely this refers to the retirement extensions we renew every year?

“The insurance policy must provide up to B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to B400,000 for inpatient treatment during their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand,” Dr Nutthawut said.
The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.

www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#kimf7zlHsmOva8Uu.97 
I suspect something has been lost in translation!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, Davejf2017 said:

.... insurance with O/A visa and extension of O/A over 50 (retirement) would it be possible to change to a O visa and then a extension of this being over 50 (retirement).

You are not extending either the O-A or the O visa. Visas are never extended. On the expiry date, they expire.

in either case you would be extending your permission to stay ( not a visa ) based on retirement . The requirements are the same regardless of the visa you used to enter the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Of course it does.  Soon an energetic reporter will actually call up a principle in the government and ask that question but for now they think the English they understand is the same as the English we understand.  Some one will clue them in eventually.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1