Translate and certify marriage certificate US

I have been trying to get my marriage visa in the province that I stay in Thailand and finding it a bit difficult with all the paper work. I have normally

gone to Savanaket for the last 4 years and everything went very well. I just thought I would avoid the drive this year and do it close to home but ran into a few issues. My wife and I were married in the USA so we have a US marriage certificate, she got it translated and certified by a Thai translator/notary. We

took this the the ampur and they said I need to get it certified from the US embassy. I thought I needed to get the translated copy certified by the embassy but my wife says I need to get the embassy to translate and certify the document the original document. I am a bit confused so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.  I know this first time is going to be hard with the paper work, but going to Laos was so much easier.

Thanks

It is standard procedure for the Amphoe to want your marriage certificate legalized.

You can do a self certification of at the US embassy it by completing a blank affidavit swearing it is true and correct that the Amphoe will accept after it is translated to Thai and certified by the Department of Consular Affairs.

Affidavits
Oftentimes the Thai government requests the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General Chiang Mai “certify” documents listed under “services we cannot provide.” Please note the Embassy and Consulate CAN notarize an affidavit which may or may not satisfy the Thai requirement for “certification.”

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

1 minute ago, chilidog said:

Thanks for your response.  So to clarify I would get my marriage certificate translated on the

affidavit form then take this form to the embassy to notary?  

No

You would complete the affidavit stating your marriage certificate is legitimate, true and correct. Then you would have the affidavit translated to Thai and certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

The translation of your marriage certificate also has to be certified by them.

Info for getting the translation certified is here (click the flow chart to enlarge it) 

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html