Commuter Bike Recommendations

Kinnock

I'm considering a replacement for the trusty Supercub as my daily ride to work/7-11 mule.

I also have a CRF 250 for trips out of Bangkok (probably being replaced by the new CB500X later this year).

After years of big bike riding in my home country I prefer gears, but an auto is not out of the question.

I like the Supercub (previous model C110) for it's classic looks, absence of 'go-faster' stripes and good weather protection for shoes/trousers - as this is my daily transport to the office, but its brakes are a bit weak and I'd like more storage space.  One option is adding a disk and a top-box, but a new bike may make more sense 

Any recommendations?

NMAX looks like a professional ride to work scooter, but wheels a bit small? ...  and it's an auto.

I don't like the 'sitting on the bog reading a newspaper' seating position of the PCX, or it's bulky looking bodywork.

Click, Mio, Scoopy, Fino etc are a bit too young-looking with stripes and cute shapes - I'm too old for the Hello Kitty look..

Aerox looks better, but my knees hit the bodywork.

The new Wave 125i could be ideal, except the narrow fairing looks to leave shoes open to a soaking when riding in the monsoon floods?

Even looked at the new 125 Supercub, but single seat only is a bit anti-social.

And as a complete wild-card I'm thinking about the W175 Kawasaki, perhaps with traditional leg shields added - but a carb, choke and fuel tap looks a bit last century?

The bike will need to sit outside the office in a bike park all day - so under 90k THB as it will get some abuse as a daily hack.

What would you recommend?

Current rides .....

2018_0811_14171300_20190515140648339.thumb.jpg.b15031bc9e681f88d51c48cd6bb169df.jpg

You basically ruled out all the good bikes available here for inner city and commuting...! ! ! 

How about Yamaha Filano, very good reviews and feedback, good tyres and solid built... rent for a day and try it...

I'd like a Kawasaki klx150 or klx150bf or D-tracker 150.  79-88,000 Baht.  Good for crappy roads, jumping curbs, driving on sidewalks and all that. Easier on the wallet than the 250s and about 25kg lighter.  Maybe not so good in stop & go traffic, being air cooled.

A Yamaha Finn would be fine for bopping around.  Cheap.

PCX is good for floods - though I must say I don't like the small wheels... definitely a much harsher ride than my old GSX-R that I put down mostly to wheel diameter. Brakes are fine given the limited power and it's very comfortable (sitting on the bog is the best position to be in in the city).

I can't see much benefit to ABS (and I do ride on some dirty roads, as well as taking a canal towpath shortcut) and I do like having the clocks/lights fixed to the bike instead of the bars... NMax might be good, but it's pretty ugly IMO.

I actually took the clipons off my GSX-R and put raised/straight bars on it for a more upright position, appreciated also by wrists and neck at speeds generally not much over 120km/h 98% of the time (don't ask about the other 1%...).

I put a small steel rack on the back - I can 'comfortably' carry stuff. I use a strap - lift the seat and put a loop, close the seat and use the loop to attach bungees which can then go over luggage and hook on the rack. I easily carried 2 shelving units I bought in makro measuring some 1.5m wide by 70cm - on the combined width of the seat and rear extension of the rack I manage easily 2 large boxes of milk and a box of shopping.

Automatic is good for shoes too... they stay shiny and clean (no need to carry spares).

14 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Yamaha Exciter. Manual transmission. But no storage space.

The Exciter does look interesting - large diameter wheels, chain-drive, wider tyres than a Wave, 4 valve head.  Will take a closer look, but looking like a step-through but without any under-seat space is not ideal.

I saw somewhere that in Vietnam, the Exciter is the bike to get if you want to attract women.  :cheesy: 

If/when I get back to LOS, it's definitely on my short list.  Watch one of the "Yamaha Moto Challenge Exciter" races on Youtube.  It's like MotoGP in slow motion.

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The Exciter does look interesting - large diameter wheels, chain-drive, wider tyres than a Wave, 4 valve head.  Will take a closer look, but looking like a step-through but without any under-seat space is not ideal.

I have one. It is an excellent commuter bike for heavy traffic.

I need a new bike. Honda wave 125i is 57k, exciter 150 is on 63k, seems like a no brainer. I'm a big yamaha fan after having R6s and and R1 in the UK - never had a single problem with any of them.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:31 PM, Damrongsak said:

I saw somewhere that in Vietnam, the Exciter is the bike to get if you want to attract women.  :cheesy: 

If/when I get back to LOS, it's definitely on my short list.  Watch one of the "Yamaha Moto Challenge Exciter" races on Youtube.  It's like MotoGP in slow motion.

papa watch many videos at 2x speed.

It's great.

Like 'backhoe breaks beaver dam'

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

I need a new bike. Honda wave 125i is 57k, exciter 150 is on 63k, seems like a no brainer. I'm a big yamaha fan after having R6s and and R1 in the UK - never had a single problem with any of them.

Exciter has manual clutch to change gears, Wave has gears but no clutch, it's semi-automatic, also I think, not sure, it's 5 gears against 4 gears on Wave...! 

Exciter has disk break on back wheel, drum on Wave...

But when it comes to selling it later, Wave will sell on the first day, but good luck selling Exciter....

Archived