Brands which would not make it in the west...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And not forgetting ......... rice Whiskey and Vodka .......... something to wake up to in the morning.

cock-vodka.jpg

Word is, ladies, once you've tried it, you'll never go back.

Do we really know what would and would not work in "the west"?

There are countless example of people with ideas and nobody wanted to invest in this because everybody knew it could not possibly be a success. And then it becomes a success and some people make millions or billions.

One example I remember is the Million Dollar Homepage. What a crazy idea - and it worked...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

Also remember Red Bull...

Do we really know what would and would not work in "the west"?
There are countless example of people with ideas and nobody wanted to invest in this because everybody knew it could not possibly be a success. And then it becomes a success and some people make millions or billions.

One example I remember is the Million Dollar Homepage. What a crazy idea - and it worked...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

Also remember Red Bull...

Cheers - post was not really about biz ideas rather about stupid names people pick for brands/ products

ie Fanny Ice Cream

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Cheers - post was not really about biz ideas rather about stupid names people pick for brands/ products

ie Fanny Ice Cream

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I made the "mistake" to react to the headline without looking at lots of posts first.

But the concept is the same - see some of the examples of successful western product in this thread.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, BritManToo said:

I always liked this one as well .........

I regret not buying several tubes when I lived in Thailand 40 years ago.  I did buy a couple of these on a subsequent visit.  "Hey kids, there's a surprise in every box."

image.png.f568cfbed98545aca9c047150eee3e49.png

On 5/15/2019 at 5:26 PM, sanemax said:

it

To be fair, they did change the name and logo a long time ago.

I hear the Darkie title is still alive and well - Copied and resurrected in China ...

- so at least the thread title is still running true! regarding ... in the west

38 minutes ago, tifino said:

I hear the Darkie title is still alive and well - Copied and resurrected in China ...

- so at least the thread title is still running true! regarding ... in the west

Darkie is always a Chinese brand。

The name in chinese is "黑人" means "Black People"

The company(Hawley&Hazel)was founded in 1933,in Shanghai.

And maybe because of the WW2 or the Civil War of China.They move to Hongkong and Taiwan. 

you can see pictures

127957251.jpg.544c97d0244808ec83b23a24f4454ca8.jpg127957275.thumb.jpg.f7390042c3df10987bde952813e9a707.jpg127956211.jpg.143d2bf6528ed2c03d174c08d8358888.jpg127956119.jpg.45c318b667679928ec7f91400d833010.jpg

After Colgate purchased 50 percent of the firm in 1985, religious groups, African-Americans, and company shareholders protested the racially offensive nature of the brand. After more than three years of criticism, Colgate switched the name from Darkie to Darlie and modified the logo to a less crude version of a black man.

Archived