Electric & Water - How To Set-Up Direct Debits ?

directstep

Would be much obliged for any information and sequence to start paying our Electric & Water Bills by Direct Debit.

How long do they take to set-up and become active?

We live in Pattaya and my account is at Bangkok Bank.

Many Thanks.

For electricity, we went to the PEA office at Big C Extra Pattaya Klang (office is in food court area). 

For water, we went to PWA in Nongprue https://goo.gl/maps/ndGSCuqBF6tpbGKe8

I believe it took a full billing cycle before it became active. There is a 3 week period between the date I receive my bill and the date the balance is withdrawn from my bank account.

Be careful!

I once set up a direct debit for electricity, then cancelled it (at both bank and PEA) when I let my house out for a year. Obviously, the tenants would make their own arrangements to pay. But, for a period prior to the let, I paid my own bills in cash, to ensure all was working ok - it was.

My tenants always paid their own bills on time. Except for one time when they were away on holiday, they couldn't meet the payment date due to their absence.

Suddenly, the PEA debited my account!!

Upon asking why and how they did this, when my DDR had been cancelled months previously, they simply replied that they still had my bank details on record, so since it hadn't been paid, they decided to take it from the bank instead. Amazing!!!!

So, the moral is "when a direct debit is cancelled, it's not necessarily cancelled."

I did it 8 years ago, the PEA bit was easy, they had an office on Chaiyapruek 2 back then so I just took the paperwork there and the next bill arrived 3 weeks later with no bar code to scan in a 7-eleven, a sure sign that the DD was set up. The PWA was a different story, office on the other side of Pattaya from me and less helpful than the PEA people. I eventually got it all done but it took four months (I think) before the bills started arriving without bar codes. It was a very long time anyway. I got SCB to open a dedicated savings account for paying the bills, so if I ever sell the house I just have to settle the final bills and then remove any cash left in the account, no worries about rogue DD payments. Never had a problem with it since then, touch wood.

I personally would never allow a Thai supplier to dip into my Thai account whenever they chose and take what they think they are entitled to ?

For PEA I suggest download their very good App (in English) called PEA Smart Plus. You can then make payment from your phone and obtain historical account details etc.

7 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I personally would never allow a Thai supplier to dip into my Thai account whenever they chose and take what they think they are entitled to ?

For PEA I suggest download their very good App (in English) called PEA Smart Plus. You can then make payment from your phone and obtain historical account details etc.

The difference between PEA and PWA is like night and day.  The ladies over at the PEA office are nice and pleasant and more efficient.  The water company on the other hand,  must be run by a former Immigration Officer, enough said

I don't agree with the above poster, after 14 years here I have never had a Thai supplier "dip" into my Thai account" They have only debited the amount of the bill that I receive long before the debit

I own a house in a company name and have all my utilities auto debited, and since I am in the Sattahip electric jurisdiction, it must be with a specific SCB branch, yet water is PWA

My condo in Pattaya is auto debited for electricity only through PEA and my tenants reimburse me for their electric usage and they pay the water directly to the condo

I am out of Thailand 6 months of the year so this is the only system that insures that the lights don't go off or the water continues to flow, no matter where I am

Fortunately I am not so paranoid that I think that every Thai is out to screw me 

Go to PEA office get the form fill it out take it to the bank with a bill then go back to PEA office (you may be questioned if the account is not in your name) takes up to 2 months before it operates. first time wifey got sms you not pay the bill back to PEA office to pay told it has already been paid. TIT. next month duly got sms from bank bill was paid.

PEA has an app for your phone that makes paying electricity easy via your BK Bank account... It also shows your past usage and such... It requires a Thai ID number (any ID) to setup but once setup it works great...

5 hours ago, sfokevin said:

PEA has an app for your phone that makes paying electricity easy via your BK Bank account... It also shows your past usage and such... It requires a Thai ID number (any ID) to setup but once setup it works great...

I have a IPHONE 6 but I can not find the PEA app. Is this only when in Thailand and with Thai language? I am now in The Netherlands but need soon a power connection in Thailand

6 minutes ago, Marius Brok said:

I have a IPHONE 6 but I can not find the PEA app. Is this only when in Thailand and with Thai language? I am now in The Netherlands but need soon a power connection in Thailand

You may need to change your iTunes country to Thailand to see it... Once the app is on your phone you can change the country back and the app will stay on your phone...

https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/pea-smart-plus/id1063710354?l=th&mt=8

4 hours ago, thaitero said:

https://eservice.pea.co.th is the page i use to pay PEA-bills, whether in Thailand or elsewhere so no apps mandatory....

Only works if you have a Thai ID number.

Passport number won't work, Driver license uses passport number. I can't think of any other number that is specific to me except a phone number, which also is required.

I think the Thai ID number is 13 digits.

Thanks anyway.

Well, It works for me and i am not thai,,

Although i must say i have registered long time ago so do not know what they require now to register..

When i signed up website and everything looked different,,

Sad to hear if foreigner can not sign up any more..

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the advice about being careful. I set up a DD to pay for my True TV account (when I had one), and after noticing that I seemed to be paying way over the odds, after several trips to True it transpired that I was also being charged for another account and when I questioned it and asked to see the paperwork I was eventually shown a DD request form accepted by True and accepted by the bank upon which someone (from True I suspect) had forged my signature and filled in all the details in Thai. I got a police report, spoke several times to the security department at the bank's head office in Bangkok, and at the end of the day no-one was interested. The lack of security and the lack of interest in getting to the bottom of things was truly shocking from one of the top 3 banks in this country.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just saying if you do you should keep a close eye on your bank statements.

Archived