Security Grills

Maybole

My house has fairly thick walls snd the windows are inset. There is plenty of room to set security bars inside the window cavity without disturbing tne window itself. I cannot find any suitable ready made grilles, they are all designed to be fitted on the outside of the wall, covering the whole window cavity. This makes them comparitively easy to pry off. Plus, They are decorated unnecessarily.

I am looking for a metal working shop which can make simple grilles ( one horizontal bar and two vertical.) The window apperture is 1m 20 wide by 1m wide. I am in Chiangmai province between Hang Dong and San Pa Tong. Has anybody any recomendations?

I don't have security bars on any of my windows,because i want

to make sure my family and i can quickly exit the house in case

of fire,not worried about thieves,they are still going to get in one

way or another,whatever they take can be replaced,but you only

have one life,and i don't want to be burnt to a crisp,because there

are bars on the windows.think about it.

regards worgeordie

Global house has external window security a local guy made us internal ones as well which certain ones can be opened if required, he also makes gates and fences of all sizes so ask locally not here.

Our house could only catch fires if it was set on fire with being sprayed with petrol or being hit with a US Tomahawk cruise missile.   

all of our window grilles were made to order by a local welding shop in our small town...the dude comes out and measures up and then asks what ye want in the way of ornamentation, etc...a few days later they've been installed and cheap too from what I remember, the wife made all the arrangements...

We had them installed on the house when we lived in Pattaya. One night someone broke in by removing the welded grills. Make sure the welding is extra good. When we got the installer back he said it would cost extra to make good welds as most people buy them for the decorations. So there's two types of welding.

Also you do need to have a set place for all the door keys, to be able to get out if a fire (or missile strike). Check regularly as your wifey will probably use the keys and not return them to the set place.
I lost a friend in Bangkok (him, wife, kids and grandparents), to a fire in their townhouse and couldn't find the keys to get out.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 5/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, carlyai said:

We had them installed on the house when we lived in Pattaya. One night someone broke in by removing the welded grills. Make sure the welding is extra good.

We are now in the era of battery operated tools, a decent cordless grinder will cut through a perfect weld just as quick as a crap weld! ????

We are now in the era of battery operated tools, a decent cordless grinder will cut through a perfect weld just as quick as a crap weld! [emoji848]
True, but it makes more noise in the nightime.

I think that night of the breakin we had my son and family visiting as well, all there sleeping while the guy was roaming around inside the house. I woke up to something and was out to the lounge room hearing the burgler making a hasty exit over the fence. He dropped his tools etc so called the police hoping for fingerprints....years later, still hoping.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

True, but it makes more noise in the nightime.

Yep, it would arouse your suspicions if a grinder started up in the middle of the night, the sparks would be a dead give-away! ???? 

But if nobody was home? ????

On 5/18/2019 at 7:26 AM, CGW said:

Yep, it would arouse your suspicions if a grinder started up in the middle of the night, the sparks would be a dead give-away! ???? 

But if nobody was home? ????

Alexa Guard is a new skill that you can enable in your smartphone alexa app to monitor your home when way. It works with your Alexa dot device. It will detect braking glass sound, smoke alarm or co2 alarm and send your phone an alert, then to confirm you can activate a web cam and have visual confirmation.  activate two way communication and start yelling at intruder telling him "Police is on its way" and set loud alarm. It is all very inexpensive, I have it at both my US homes and will be installing it at our Thai home as son as I come back this fall. Already have webcams. 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Quite agree. In all my years here would never have them for that self same reason, and never will. The stupidity and danger of fitting them beggars belief.

Also often they are fitted to all the windows and in many cases have sliding ones over the door secured when people go out by a padlock !! Decent bolt croppers soon get them off.

16 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Alexa Guard is a new skill that you can enable in your smartphone alexa app to monitor your home when way. It works with your Alexa dot device. It will detect braking glass sound, smoke alarm or co2 alarm and send your phone an alert, then to confirm you can activate a web cam and have visual confirmation.  activate two way communication and start yelling at intruder telling him "Police is on its way" and set loud alarm. It is all very inexpensive, I have it at both my US homes and will be installing it at our Thai home as son as I come back this fall. Already have webcams. 

Let's hope the burglars in your Thai home will understand   "police on their way" . Perhaps you should consider Thai ?   Also to be cynical what on earth do you think Thai police will do ?  Burglars know that too so will simply ignore it.

If I were you get the best burglar deterrents known..    Get a few geese inside the house. They will make a hell of a noise if there is a break-in and secondly any burglar will slip over on all the goose crap.

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Quite agree. In all my years here would never have them for that self same reason, and never will. The stupidity and danger of fitting them beggars belief.

Also often they are fitted to all the windows and in many cases have sliding ones over the door secured when people go out by a padlock !! Decent bolt croppers soon get them off.

Agreed

At many US locations fire, and building codes make them illegal. And anyone thinking that there is nothing that can burn in their concrete house 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Agreed

At many US locations fire, and building codes make them illegal. And anyone thinking that there is nothing that can burn in their concrete house 

Good post and  Thais simply love those gas cylinders inside their house.

7 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Let's hope the burglars in your Thai home will understand   "police on their way" . Perhaps you should consider Thai ?   Also to be cynical what on earth do you think Thai police will do ?  Burglars know that too so will simply ignore it.

If I were you get the best burglar deterrents known..    Get a few geese inside the house. They will make a hell of a noise if there is a break-in and secondly any burglar will slip over on all the goose crap.

You right I should had written this reply in Thai. LOL

even if the intruder don't understand "Police" he might understand that he has being detected and that someone is yelling at him, and that someone is not going back to sleep. 

Also he might understand the loud alarm and the implications associated with, 

On 5/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

If we were living in wood houses, as in many other countries, would agree but here there are almost no home fires that would require such an escape.  Cement and tile are not fast burners and each room is a virtual safe room.  I would have more concerns in shophouse/townhouse however.

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You right I should had written this reply in Thai. LOL

even if the intruder don't understand "Police" he might understand that he has being detected and that someone is yelling at him, and that someone is not going back to sleep. 

Also he might understand the loud alarm and the implications associated with, 

No chance, Thais love anything loud, motorbikes, music,  alarms you name it

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If we were living in wood houses, as in many other countries, would agree but here there are almost no home fires that would require such an escape.  Cement and tile are not fast burners and each room is a virtual safe room.  I would have more concerns in shophouse/townhouse however.

You are so very very wrong....furniture is the main killer....research shows that 30 years ago, you had about 17 minutes to escape a house fire. Today it's down to three or four minutes. The reason: Newer homes and the furniture inside them actually burn faster and emit gases that WILL KILL you.

You are so very very wrong....furniture is the main killer....research shows that 30 years ago, you had about 17 minutes to escape a house fire. Today it's down to three or four minutes. The reason: Newer homes and the furniture inside them actually burn faster and emit gases that WILL KILL you.

Exactly. The fire generally doesn’t kill anyone, it’s typically the smoke.

Know of a house, steel grilles on every door & window. Thieves climbed onto the roof and lifted a few tiles, guess they thought with all that security must have something worth stealing. 

I have 2 dogs, one sleeps inside, one out.  Inside dog also works as fire/smoke detector, also kills the occasional mouse.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

If you have ever seen a sofa ablaze,it's not the fire itself that is maybe dangerous

it's the smoke and toxic fumes that will easily kill you,and i think electrical fires

are not uncommon here,add to that the length of time for the fire department 

to arrive !

regards worgeordie

Archived