Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 May 2019 04:14
Dory60

Lonely In Thailand.

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

My name is Dory, I moved to Thailand (Rayong) from the UK with my husband who works in the Oil & Gas industry 18 months ago. Thing's were fine at first but these last couple of months have been hard. I'm struggling to find something to fill my days when my husband is at work. He works offshore for weeks at a time and when he comes back home he spends his first week in Pattaya with his oil buddies.

 

What do expat women do here in Thailand to pass the time? I must add I have only 1 female friend in Rayong, she is also from the UK and her husband works offshore but I don't see her that often. Most days I just sit around drinking and watching TV.. To be honest it's not quite the great life I had imagined. Hoping I can find some warm welcome here on this forum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dory60 said:

Most days I just sit around drinking and watching TV.

Perhaps you should find some hobby, at least you'll have something to talk about when you'll meet some friends.

Welcome to the forum.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a bicycle and have a mooch to Mae Phim. Join a gymn. Go to school and learn the language.

 

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps you should find some hobby, at least you'll have something to talk about when you'll meet some friends.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi!

 

Yes, I usually play Tennis on Tuesdays and Golf on Thursdays. But as of yet haven't found any friends to tag along, my coach is my sports buddy!

 

I think I'm a pretty outgoing person and have plenty to talk about but the local women don't seem at all interested. From what I have seen so far Thai women can be rather cold and distant.

 

I hope you are well and thanks for replying! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dory60 said:

From what I have seen so far Thai women can be rather cold and distant.

 

I have a similar experience with Thai men, if you listen to most long-timers, it's not impossible to find Thai friends, but it's much easier to befriend other foreigners.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rayong is a bit of a foreigner cultural desert.

If you lived in Chiang Mai it's full of ladies who lunch, cycle, hike, etc.

But you'd be dying from the smog.

 

How about gardening, reading, cooking?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dory60 said:

Hi!

 

Yes, I usually play Tennis on Tuesdays and Golf on Thursdays. But as of yet haven't found any friends to tag along, my coach is my sports buddy!

 

I think I'm a pretty outgoing person and have plenty to talk about but the local women don't seem at all interested. From what I have seen so far Thai women can be rather cold and distant.

 

I hope you are well and thanks for replying! 

 

welcome to LOS and cold heart people (man and women same same) sorry to sound negative but you will not be making friends with locals, their main general interest is to be on facebook and talk about what to eat next....you should find some hobby, things that you were interested on back home but didn't had time to pursue, don;t get bored, it's not sane... wish you well and have a good day

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grollies said:

Thai people are really friendly.

Very true, from what i see - - the important thing is to smile first and often... I find Thai people very engaging. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grollies said:

This is simply untrue IF you can learn the language Thai people are really friendly. At least round here they are. 

Totally agree, you may even meet suitable friends while studying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...