July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory.

Humor me for a second.  Lets say I go in for a retirement extension, my 20th on July 1, 2019.  800k in the bank.  I don't read Thai Visa and the IO tells me I cannot get an extension without the new mandatory health insurance.  Then what happens?  Do I get some time to get it?  Or, do they kick me out of the country?  Do I get another type of visa for a short term stay?  What happens? 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What the hell. It applies to O-A thus far. Why start crazy fear topic. Hopefully mod delete

If it is for O-A why do they list only Thai insurance carriers? How would I buy Thai medical insurance in America?  Would they write the policy sight unseen?

Don't think it is really fair to accuse me of starting a crazy fear topic when we all have read the topic, "Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand."  is it?

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

well better to go in 30 days BEFORE, ( June 1st)  ur extension is due to expire>>So you have time to get what you need

What would I get?  What would be the easiest.  That's my question.  Or will IO give me a month or so to work out the alternatives or will they have any idea how much money will indemnify my stay?

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If it is for O-A why do they list only Thai insurance carriers? How would I buy Thai medical insurance in America?  Would they write the policy sight unseen?

They do not require only Thai insurance companies. Anyway not getting into this imaginary future requirement. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

They do not require only Thai insurance companies. Anyway not getting into this imaginary future requirement. 

What use was it for them to list Thai insurance companies?  Since it is only for O-A visa's no one would ever use the companies?  Are they that inept, both the insurance companies and the foreign service guys?

11 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

well better to go in 30 days BEFORE, ( June 1st)  ur extension is due to expire>>So you have time to get what you need

On extension based on retirement he will not require insurance currently. Perhaps I should start topic "what if money in bank is increased to 2 million baht"

Just now, DrJack54 said:

On extension based on retirement he will not require insurance currently. Perhaps I should start topic "what if money in bank is increased to 2 million baht"

Why did a foreign service executive announce that had passed in a cabinet meeting too like the insurance requirement?

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What use was it for them to list Thai insurance companies?  Since it is only for O-A visa's no one would ever use the companies?  Are they that inept, both the insurance companies and the foreign service guys?

Related how? To your OP. 

They can list what they like. Your choice. Again more type for type sake.

It would probably depend on the immigration officer's mood, just like everything else. For the people over 50's that don't have health insurance, they better get their act together and get it asap. They have about 45 days to do it.

If your extension is refused on the basis of you having no medical insurance, you have seven days to get your affairs in order, then leave Thailand. Personally, I would come back on an SETV, clean out all my bank accounts, and sell all my possessions here.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Related how? To your OP. 

They can list what they like. Your choice. Again more type for type sake.

If the insurance purchase was only for use outside of Thailand why would the insurance companies do all that work to get websites up and why would the Ministry pay for

WELCOME TO THAILAND

Apply for Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa.  https://longstay.tgia.org/

They would not do that if it were not to be used for extensions. 

It's obvious.  They said it incorrectly but all the work of the ministry and insurance companies makes it plain what is their intent. 

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Don't think it is really fair to accuse me of starting a crazy fear topic when we all have read the topic, "Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand."  is it?

Don't just read heading. The "long stay" is bit misleading. Often used as nick for "non imm O-A long stay". Visa obtained in ones own country. For someone with 4k posts. What's going on?

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What if...... What if...... Why not just stick to what's been confirmed by Cabinet, but isn't even law yet? Wait and see what the Police Order says.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Because I get my extension in July. 

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

It would probably depend on the immigration officer's mood, just like everything else. For the people over 50's that don't have health insurance, they better get their act together and get it asap. They have about 45 days to do it.

For some of us, that is impossible due to age and pre-existing medical conditions. I'll wait and see what happens on July 1, and take it from there.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If the insurance purchase was only for use outside of Thailand why would the insurance companies do all that work to get websites up and why would the Ministry pay for

WELCOME TO THAILAND

Apply for Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa.  https://longstay.tgia.org/

They would not do that if it were not to be used for extensions. 

It's obvious.  They said it incorrectly but all the work of the ministry and insurance companies makes it plain what is their intent. 

There is movie named "conspiracy theory" Mel Gibson. Check it out.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't just read heading. The "long stay" is bit misleading. Often used as nick for "non imm O-A long stay". Visa obtained in ones own country. For someone with 4k posts. What's going on?

I think we/I was ignoring the obvious.  Of course it is for extensions.  O-X visas are not that common and for the O-A insurance would not be purchased in Thailand.  When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Because I get my extension in July. 
It has nothing to do with Extensions. Just applications for OA visas (and OX visas which have had a compulsory insurance requirement for some time) which can only be applied for outside Thailand.

You have nothing to worry about, although why anyone would live here without insurance is beyond me.

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The typical cost of 'western' health insurance is prohibitive for any decent cover.   This collective of Thai compnies had a brief of providing the minimum required coverage, and at a price where they could not lose.   I think more pertinent is how Immigration could require Non O visa Retirement extension holders (not O-A) to have 400k in patient insurance whilst requiring them to maintain their Thai bank balance at a minimum of 400k?   I think the realistic knock on effect is going to be a drastic reduction in O-A applicants.

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What the hell. It applies to O-A thus far. Why start crazy fear topic. Hopefully mod delete

Exactly,  only O-A been mentioned.  O-A as in visa from your own country.  

Not retirement  /marriage visas,   

But carry on with the doom and gloom, fear mongering threads. 

Will not get deleted.  

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is movie named "conspiracy theory" Mel Gibson. Check it out.

"Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay"

Do they issue O-A permits to stay in Phuket? 

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If your extension is refused on the basis of you having no medical insurance, you have seven days to get your affairs in order, then leave Thailand. Personally, I would come back on an SETV, clean out all my bank accounts, and sell all my possessions here.

O-A only ,will not be refused in thailand.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

"Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay"

Do they issue O-A permits to stay in Phuket? 

No

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It has nothing to do with Extensions. Just applications for OA visas (and OX visas which have had a compulsory insurance requirement for some time) which can only be applied for outside Thailand.

You have nothing to worry about, although why anyone would live here without insurance is beyond me.

Why would they list Thai insurance carriers and design a web page for Thai insurance carriers if no one was being forced to buy Thai insurance? The O-X requirement has been in place for some time.  The web site has not. 

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Stop it Marcus please. Do better things with your time here.

Since Phuket does not issue O-A visa's what was he referring to?  Hint.  He was referring to extensions. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The headline is bit of a dishonest tease yes?

Nobody knows if and/or when this change will take effect at this point.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Which headline?

A.  Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

Or

B.  July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory

Archived