BANGKOK 21 May 2019 04:32
marcusarelus

July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory.

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Confused with the officials it seems,Dr Natthawut is the Health spokesman in Bangkok,not Phuket IO Chief. 

That's what I read. 

Confused with the officials it seems,Dr Natthawut is the Health spokesman in Bangkok,not Phuket IO Chief. 
It would seem so, although he was misquoted in the Phuket News.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It would seem so, although he was misquoted in the Phuket News.

How do you know he was misquoted or perhaps your source was in error and Phuket news was correct?

How do you know he was misquoted or perhaps your source was in error and Phuket news was correct?
Sorry. I meant poorly translated. I have no sources. Just reading the various reports and comments. Nowhere has it been reported, to the best of my knowledge, that Extensions are affected.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry. I meant poorly translated. I have no sources. Just reading the various reports and comments. Nowhere has it been reported, to the best of my knowledge, that Extensions are affected.

If Phuket is a poor translation where is a better translation?  For example Phuket wrote, "The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay"  and  "Dr Nutthawut explained that the move was a joint policy decision by the MoPH, the Ministry of Foreign Affiars and the Immigration Bureau."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#8gv9rQLimyHevELq.97

On 5/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

It has nothing to do with Extensions. Just applications for OA visas (and OX visas which have had a compulsory insurance requirement for some time) which can only be applied for outside Thailand.

You have nothing to worry about, although why anyone would live here without insurance is beyond me.

my question is why would anyone pay such a BS industry as insurance?

Some write on here it could cost him 100k per year for cover of 400k!

that is complete BS joke in anyones language!

and even then you have the chance they wont pay up for some reason.

If you in reasonable health dont drive, ride, smoke or drink to much, Thailand have little risk really.

I known many guys been here 10 years and had no problem they would need insurance for and all will have saved millions of baht allready.

Actually the only risk i can see is the Thai ladies but if it goes bad they probably will finish you off for good so no need to worry about that

• Like 1

Marcusarelus may be right or than maybe not. 

I am 19 years full time in Thailand, 70+ old. 

Always Wait & See was/is my motto.

In 19 years I have read many things. 

I am still here with no money in a Thai bank and no need to transfer 65000 monthly to Thailand. 

Others are not so lucky. 

I renew my "Retirement Visa" and I am in principle OK till February 2020.

Pretty sure marcusarelus took already the necessary steps, what ever they may be. 

Wish him the best, as I wish everyone the best. 

21 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Is there anyone already which have a health insurance policy in any of the insurance companies included in the ones recommended in this link https://longstay.tgia.org/ and can recommend one of the least hassle free to use if needed without have to show up with a pile of documents if admitted to a hospital?

Thanks

Felt

AXA, I had a card issued by them and it was all I was required to show. They paid the bill directly. (I had to use my CC to get the hospital to 'go ahead' until they got the nod from AXA). It was an accident claim.

I prefer not to make recommendations though. 

Edited by jacko45k

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

AXA, I had a card issued by them and it was all I was required to show. They paid the bill directly. (I had to use my CC to get the hospital to 'go ahead' until they got the nod from AXA). It was an accident claim.

Thanks....already have a accident insurance with them (AXA) and will check out their health insurance cover and premium.

Felt

was it a motorcycle accident claim? 30k-80k cover on the compulsory insurance? hospital should kick the 30k in straight away

On 5/15/2019 at 8:51 PM, marcusarelus said:

If the insurance purchase was only for use outside of Thailand why would the insurance companies do all that work to get websites up and why would the Ministry pay for

WELCOME TO THAILAND

Apply for Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa.  https://longstay.tgia.org/

They would not do that if it were not to be used for extensions. 

It's obvious.  They said it incorrectly but all the work of the ministry and insurance companies makes it plain what is their intent. 

For O-X 5 year long stay visa. Refer the Thai Embassy in London Web Site 

Insurance required for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-X” (Long Stay) 5 Year per entries/Multiple entries

O-X"

For applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working, and who are nationals of of (1) Japan (2) Australia (3) Denmark (4) Finland (5) France (6) Germany (7) Italy (8) Netherlands (9) Norway (10) Sweden (11) Switzerland (12) United Kingdom (13) Canada (14) United States of America

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

was it a motorcycle accident claim? 30k-80k cover on the compulsory insurance? hospital should kick the 30k in straight away

No, a clumsy clutz accident.