July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

The headline is bit of a dishonest tease yes?

Nobody knows if and/or when this change will take effect at this point.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have to agree with OP, Phuket is very much up to speed when interpreting regs.Its all in the commonly referred to names used by IO when speaking of extension,renewal,retirement visa etc.As to when ?

That reminds me. Must start my own thread about this.:

' Go fund my insurance '

I recommend everybody does the same. The more threads we have on this the better.

Catharsis . Way to go.

3 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Why ... oh why do we have to do this? Over and over and over again.

Until someone posts definitive information about retirement extensions having a 40k 400K insurance requirement.  That would mean a reporter calling up the guy who made the announcement about mandatory insurance and asking him. 

"Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay"

Since Phuket does not issue O-A visa's what was he referring to?  Hint.  He was referring to extensions. 
So everything printed by the Phuket News is a fact? No wonder you're panicking if you believe everything you read in the Press.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Until someone posts definitive information about retirement extensions having a 40k 400K insurance requirement.  That would mean a reporter calling up the guy who made the announcement about mandatory insurance and asking him. 
Or better still, waiting for the Police Order to be published.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed. There's enough mindless speculation and scaremongering on the original thread. Quite why we need another one, I have no idea.

What is the first question you would ask before publishing a newsworthy story about mandatory insurance?  Would you not think it is beyond the journalistic pale not to ask if it applies to retirement extensions?

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Or better still, waiting for the Police Order to be published.

I have insurance.  I don't have outpatient coverage.  I asked A1A (largest insurer in Thailand) to add it.  They had no idea what I was talking about.  If I need another different policy I need to know now so I can start shopping around and buy something else.  I feel it is immoral to start a story about such a large change and not have even the journalism basics covered. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You original post is pure speculation ....you said that.... and you want facts?

The problem is and has been in the recent past that all of this is usually short on facts in the beginning and then things become clearer as time goes on. All you are doing is winding up a thread with speculation.

As someone said there are better things to do with one's time.

What is the first question you would ask before publishing a newsworthy story about mandatory insurance?  Would you not think it is beyond the journalistic pale not to ask if it applies to retirement extensions?
What makes you think anyone on ThaiVisa can tell you? The information refers to OA visas not Extensions so why surmise otherwise. Anything could happen in time, but why not just wait and see? If you're worried, get insurance!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Are they that inept, both the insurance companies and the foreign service guys?

Do you really need to ask?

I get a tickle out of how all this bureaucratic ineptitude fuels dozens of virtually identical 'what if' and 'OMG!' threads that harvest the same inconclusive, speculatory and irrelevant responses.

I reckon this mandatory insurance malarkey will give the various 'extension letter' and the associated 'visa agent' and 'moving to Danang' threads a run for their money.

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What makes you think anyone on ThaiVisa can tell you? The information refers to OA visas not Extensions so why surmise otherwise. Anything could happen in time, but why not just wait and see? If you're worried, get insurance!

You pick up the phone and call the guy.  Dr. Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Director General of the Ministry of Public Health.  He said, " The insurance requirement applies to people applying for a Long Stay visa for the first time, as well as people seeking to renew their Long Stay visa"

https://www.weexpats.com/mandatory-health-insurance-approved-by-cabinet-for-long-stay-visas-in-thailand/

It seems very clear to me.  The only thing we don't know is when it will begin. 

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It took them the best part of 4 months to put the 'income letter alternatives' speculation to bed so why the big rush?

The author of the original post is just being argumentative and contentious and really this is a trolling post and should be taken down. The original post contends that there will be changes vis-a-vis mandatory insurance taking place on the 1st July 2019, merely because his extension of stay expires around that time. There is of course no reason to believe that anything will happen in the short term (not least of all because the Police Order has not yet been published). 

Just another time-waster.

Regards,

Joe

18 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

The author of the original post is just being argumentative and contentious and really this is a trolling post and should be taken down. The original post contends that there will be changes vis-a-vis mandatory insurance taking place on the 1st July 2019, merely because his extension of stay expires around that time. There is of course no reason to believe that anything will happen in the short term (not least of all because the Police Order has not yet been published). 

Just another time-waster.

Regards,

Joe

Actually I was following another poster (Malagateddy) who said the date would be July 1, 2019.  I have friends in immigration and they don't know.  They gave 6 months notice on the income letter.  I've also got the feeling that using the income method will not be a good idea if you can't get the insurance they want.  I was going to switch from bank to income but now am having second thoughts.  Sorry you feel I'm being contentious and argumentative.  I thought I was being rather nice and helping the expat community stay informed. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I go to get my extension in a couple of months. 

You need read post 46. You have over 4k posts in relatively short period of time. Thaivisa is designed to give constructive advice. I suggest you are not. There is already many folk thinking the changes apply to them and do not. In au we call it sh## stirring. Get a grip

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You need read post 46. You have over 4k posts in relatively short period of time. Thaivisa is designed to give constructive advice. I suggest you are not. There is already many folk thinking the changes apply to them and do not. In au we call it sh## stirring. Get a grip

Many authoritative posters have stated that the new insurance rules apply only to O-A visa's available only from your home country.  I think that information is in error and have stated why.  If I'm right and they are wrong would you still think I'm sh #######?  Have you ever known Pib to be wrong? 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Many authoritative posters have stated that the new insurance rules apply only to O-A visa's available only from your home country.  I think that information is in error and have stated why.  If I'm right and they are wrong would you still think I'm sh #######?

Yes. Even if your prediction turns out correct its just trolling to keep this rubbish up. I can also make a prediction. This thread will be closed as its based on a nonsense with no true basis.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

What would I get?  What would be the easiest.  That's my question.  Or will IO give me a month or so to work out the alternatives or will they have any idea how much money will indemnify my stay?

Go down to your friendly immigration office, no one on Thai Visa can answer your question, they do not know any more than you

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Go down to your friendly immigration office, no one on Thai Visa can answer your question, they do not know any more than you

I did.  They said big changes in May but did not know what.  Guy mentioned 1 mill and 800k in the bank was his guess but didn't know anything about insurance. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. Even if your prediction turns out correct its just trolling to keep this rubbish up. I can also make a prediction. This thread will be closed as its based on a nonsense with no true basis.

OK 1000 posts that are wrong (them) and one post (me) that is correct and I'm trolling?  OK sure.  Pib wrote,

" I have no doubt when they say O-A Visa renewal they mean whether getting a new O-A Visa in the home country or an "Extension of Stay" in Thailand based on your original visa long expired.  They were just using simple language."  Is he trolling too?  I've read his stuff for a long time and never found him to be in error.

I did.  They said big changes in May but did not know what.  Guy mentioned 1 mill and 800k in the bank was his guess but didn't know anything about insurance. 
Maybe they'll be getting rid of the ludicrous TM30 requirement or maybe the 90 Day Report? Why not just wait and see.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe they'll be getting rid of the ludicrous TM30 requirement or maybe the 90 Day Report? Why not just wait and see.

I guess we did, wait and see?  Was I trolling? See above post.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Not really anything new. Still clearly just for long-stay visa holders (OA and OX), not Extensions of Stay.

They mean retirement extension.  I'll wait for that and post it but it really is obvious. 

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/35306/mandatory-health-insurance-for-retirement-visa-holders-likely-to-take-effect-in-july

Archived