July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They mean retirement extension.  I'll wait for that and post it but it really is obvious. 

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/35306/mandatory-health-insurance-for-retirement-visa-holders-likely-to-take-effect-in-july
There is no evidence of that. Why would they specifically refer to OA visas if they meant Extensions? Retirement Extensions require an O visa not an OA visa.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no evidence of that. Why would they specifically refer to OA visas if they meant Extensions? Retirement Extensions require an O visa not an OA visa.

Total incompetence possibly?

4 minutes ago, yodsak said:

O-A. as in only O-A1368210454_ScreenShot2019-05-15at21_45_59.png.51536aade07a61d07e7bef0e619ede2d.png1961588951_ScreenShot2019-05-15at21_59_17.png.300d2a4bdf398810ba567547b6ff3e15.png

Clicking on the link I get some nonsensical invitation to listen to a radio station?    <deleted>?   You think someone is so desperate to read what is inevitably false news?

I'm very happy that I am on a non-immigrant O visa and not on a non-immigrant O-A visa. From what I read, the new law approved by the cabinet only affects those that are on O-A visas. I have company provided retiree medical insurance anyway...

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I believe I am correct.  I asked IO again this afternoon and they had no information about mandatory insurance. 

I guess you can attack the messenger.  I'll post when the rule becomes law. 

8 minutes ago, yodsak said:

Original very scary misleading headline:

1039148471_ScreenShot2019-05-15at21_47_53.png.083f2c73111925619670e99e7dbd149a.png

OMG.

And now

605616491_ScreenShot2019-05-15at21_45_59.png.ff2a9f281e08a6d2bdb615451ac07e76.png

So only 38 million expats affected.?

I thought there were only 70 million people in Thailand... funny how more than 1/2 are expats...

3 minutes ago, yodsak said:

Original very scary misleading headline:

1039148471_ScreenShot2019-05-15at21_47_53.png.083f2c73111925619670e99e7dbd149a.png

OMG.

And now

605616491_ScreenShot2019-05-15at21_45_59.png.ff2a9f281e08a6d2bdb615451ac07e76.png

So only 38 million expats affected.?

"Long stay" is term used sometimes to refer to O-A and O-X. Not meant to refer to annual extensions. Anyway my last post on this rubbish thread. Good TV has ignore button.

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe I am correct.  I asked IO again this afternoon and they had no information about mandatory insurance. 

I guess you can attack the messenger.  I'll post when the rule becomes law. 

From what I read, the new law approved by the cabinet only affects those that are on O-A visas. I guess those of us that had O visas and file for yearly extensions will be celebrating...

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"Long stay" is term used sometimes to refer to O-A and O-X. Not meant to refer to annual extensions. Anyway my last post on this rubbish thread. Good TV has ignore button.

Come back when it's announced it refers to Retirement Extensions.  Then you can apologize for calling thoughtful reasoning rubbish.  ????

14 minutes ago, yodsak said:

From the link666979198_ScreenShot2019-05-15at22_33_26.png.270c0fefa9d205014e66dce5e34249f3.png

Yes, I read the article which states what you posted. I find it funny that those numbers are correct when the population of Thailand is about 70 million. That means more than 1/2 of the population are foreigners. That doesn't sound realistic to me unless the majority of them do not live here and only visited. I couldn't care less, but just thought it was a little funny (meaning a little odd or strange).

It is quite obvious mandatory insurance will be applied to extensions also in near future. All the weak and not so weak signs tell that and can be read if one has any common sense.. There may be some transition period with Visas only first to test systems but nevertheless extension based permits will follow.

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Anyway my last post on this rubbish thread. Good TV has ignore button.

Does that work?  Pushing your own ignore button?

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It has nothing to do with Extensions. Just applications for OA visas (and OX visas which have had a compulsory insurance requirement for some time) which can only be applied for outside Thailand.

You have nothing to worry about, although why anyone would live here without insurance is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Because it is cheap here to be self insured. 

I think you answered your own question on post #40 Marcus.

My suggestion would be to shop around to find a suitable policy then apply for your extension 30 days early, if immigration tell you, as you are suggesting, that you need Health insurance you have time to buy the suitable policy.

I’m with thaitero ( post #79 ) on this one, I believe that the July 1st date is only for new applications of OA visa but mandatory health insurance is on the way for retirement extensions ( O and OA ) .

P.s. my extension is due September so will be interested in your IO experience in July !
I’ve also shelved my plans of visiting the uk for another OA in Sept !!

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think we/I was ignoring the obvious.  Of course it is for extensions.  O-X visas are not that common and for the O-A insurance would not be purchased in Thailand.  When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

That premise is only correct when the starting point is correct assumptions from the data. Said data at this point in time is not law, and is highly confusing in its presentation.

From what I read, the new law approved by the cabinet only affects those that are on O-A visas. I guess those of us that had O visas and file for yearly extensions will be celebrating...
At the moment the proposal just extends the insurance requirement, which already exists for OX visas (10 year visas), to OA visa applications and "renewals" which in practice means re-applying as visas cannot be renewed.

The OP may well be right that in the future the requirements may be extended to other visa applications and extensions. But then Thai Immigration laws are always subject to changes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

What would I get?  What would be the easiest.  That's my question.  Or will IO give me a month or so to work out the alternatives or will they have any idea how much money will indemnify my stay?

well you think,

if u go 30 days BEFORE your previous extension expires an they say ,  "you need  xxxx" ( Proof of Pension, more copies, Bank statement, Insurance, Photo of ur house) you have time to go get it and come back and reapply.  why wait to get your extension till the last day?

Got it?

While the OP is speculation, IMHO, you are living in cloud-cuckoo land if you think that mandatory health insurance will not be applied in the future to ALL long-stay visa/extensions.

Now is the time to research suitable options, (insurance policy, money in the bank if that's allowed, go to another country, return to your own country etc).

There seem to be a huge number of posters on this forum with 'ostrich' syndrome....

While the OP is speculation, IMHO, you are living in cloud-cuckoo land if you think that mandatory health insurance will not be applied in the future to ALL long-stay visa/extensions.

Now is the time to research suitable options, (insurance policy, money in the bank if that's allowed, go to another country, return to your own country etc).

There seem to be a huge number of posters on this forum with 'ostrich' syndrome....

Problem for many is the many exclusions and that's the flaw in their plan, plus of course the mandatory claim denied after years of paying a premium.

A smarter idea from them would be money in the bank then exclusions are covered

Archived