July 1, 2019 Insurance may become mandatory.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion.

I was talking about and referring to the article posted in the News.

It would have been easy for the author of article to verify his facts by calling the Ministry and asking if re-new meant re apply or if it meant extend.  Then we would not have thousands of expats with wives and families worrying. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have been easy for the author of article to verify his facts by calling the Ministry and asking if re-new meant re apply or if it meant extend.  Then we would not have thousands of expats with wives and families worrying. 
Anyone who can read can see it is for OA visas, with nothing whatsoever to do with Extensions. While that could change in future, so could any aspect of Immigration law.

It's best to deal with facts as presented and not speculate or scaremonger.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Anyone who can read can see it is for OA visas, with nothing whatsoever to do with Extensions. While that could change in future, so could any aspect of Immigration law.

"The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said."

Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the MoPH Department of Health Service Support,

20 hours ago, pagallim said:

The typical cost of 'western' health insurance is prohibitive for any decent cover.   This collective of Thai compnies had a brief of providing the minimum required coverage, and at a price where they could not lose.   I think more pertinent is how Immigration could require Non O visa Retirement extension holders (not O-A) to have 400k in patient insurance whilst requiring them to maintain their Thai bank balance at a minimum of 400k?   I think the realistic knock on effect is going to be a drastic reduction in O-A applicants. 

Many were looking at the O-A Visa as a way to avoid the crazy new money-rules for retirement-extensions in-country.  This may be a partial response to that.  Or, it could be a run-up to applying it to extensions of stay - or extensions w/o "money in the bank" - or who knows.  The new 400K "all the time" bank-rule does parallel the insurance-payout requirement - so could be related.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I reckon this mandatory insurance malarkey will give the various 'extension letter' and the associated 'visa agent' and 'moving to Danang' threads a run for their money.

The "visa agent" part will undoubtedly become an integral part of the insurance-requirement issue, if/when it apples to extensions of stay.

19 hours ago, moe666 said:

Go down to your friendly immigration office, no one on Thai Visa can answer your question, they do not know any more than you

Yeah, but neither do the IOs - even about standard rules, in many cases - or they "choose" not to know.

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no evidence of that. Why would they specifically refer to OA visas if they meant Extensions? Retirement Extensions require an O visa not an OA visa.

Because they mix up the terminology all the time.  Not saying he's right - only saying that because they said "visa" doesn't mean they don't mean "extension," etc.  In the other article on the subject, there is "renewal" wording - but no Visa or "extension of stay" can be "renewed" - so it all turns to guesswork. 

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Many were looking at the O-A Visa as a way to avoid the crazy new money-rules for retirement-extensions in-country.  This may be a partial response to that.  Or, it could be a run-up to applying it to extensions of stay - or extensions w/o "money in the bank" - or who knows.  The new 400K "all the time" bank-rule does parallel the insurance-payout requirement - so could be related.

The "visa agent" part will undoubtedly become an integral part of the insurance-requirement issue, if/when it apples to extensions of stay.

Yeah, but neither do the IOs - even about standard rules, in many cases - or they "choose" not to know.

Because they mix up the terminology all the time.  Not saying he's right - only saying that because they said "visa" doesn't mean they don't mean "extension," etc.  In the other article on the subject, there is "renewal" wording - but no Visa or "extension of stay" can be "renewed" - so it all turns to guesswork. 

This is the report.

http://hss.moph.go.th/show_topic.php?id=2808

Does anyone have a good translation of it.  My wife is not talking to me since I've asked for her help in doing something as mundane as getting new insurance or I'd post one. 

"The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said."

Dr Natthawut Prasertsiripong, Chief of the MoPH Department of Health Service Support,

Renewing an OA visa (technically applying for another year) is not the same as an Extension of Stay. An Extension of Stay is completely different from a visa. Visas are issued by overseas Embassies, Extensions of Stay are issued in Thailand. " To renew" something means to re-start the same thing, in this case, the OA visa.

Apologies if English is not your first language.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Renewing an OA visa (technically applying for another year) is not the same as an Extension of Stay. An Extension of Stay is completely different from a visa. Visas are issued by overseas Embassies, Extensions of Stay are issued in Thailand. " To renew" something means to re-start the same thing, in this case, the OA visa.

Apologies if English is not your first language.

Since English is your first language what does, "renewing their one year permit to stay" mean in English?

For example I got an O-A visa and renewed it in the form of a retirement extension.  Is that what he means?

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hold your horses. Not only O-As. Also RENEWALS. Let's not play act that that isn't a thing in this confusion. 

Since English is your first language what does, "renewing their one year permit to stay" mean in English?

For example I got an O-A visa and renewed it in the form of a retirement extension.  Is that what he means?

In your case, your OA visa is long gone. It expired on the date of expiry shown on the visa. Now you have an Extension of Stay based on retirement. You can extend this every year, if you meet the requirements. If you "renew" a visa, it is still a visa. Technically I don't think visas can be renewed, except for the OX visa which is renewed each year, for 10 years (and requires insurance for each renewal).

The person you're quoting is not from Immigration, so is most likely unaware of the precise terminology or has been poorly translated.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

See my post above.

Which proves nothing at all. Obviously something was meant by RENEWAL and the most logical guess about the meaning is that it means applying for extensions of stay based on retirement in Thailand. Be clear I am not clear on this, the communication is not clear on this, but if you're asserting that you're 100 percent sure of your interpretation, I'm not buying that.

We're reading TRANSLATIONS!

Which proves nothing at all. Obviously something was meant by RENEWAL and the most logical guess about the meaning is that it means applying for extensions of stay based on retirement in Thailand. Be clear I am not clear on this, the communication is not clear on this, but if you're asserting that you're 100 percent sure of your interpretation, I'm not buying that.
We're reading TRANSLATIONS!
I agree that relying on translations is dangerous; which is why I wouldn't rely on an official from Phuket who isn't even an Immigration official. Why not rely on the original posting as interpreted by the likes of Ubonjoe on this Forum, and Tod Daniels on the Facebook Thai Visa group?

38 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In your case, your OA visa is long gone. It expired on the date of expiry shown on the visa. Now you have an Extension of Stay based on retirement. You can extend this every year, if you meet the requirements. If you "renew" a visa, it is still a visa. Technically I don't think visas can be renewed, except for the OX visa which is renewed each year, for 10 years (and requires insurance for each renewal).

The person you're quoting is not from Immigration, so is most likely unaware of the precise terminology or has been poorly translated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile ap

I realize that about the terminology.  When he says "renew one year permit to stay" he means "retirement extension."  Easy to figure out when you have lived here as long as I have. 

I realize that about the terminology.  When he says "renew one year permit to stay" he means "retirement extension."  Easy to figure out when you have lived here as long as I have. 
But "he" is hardly the person to be relying on (or the possibly dodgy translation of what "he" said). I prefer to believe the original announcement, and as I said before, the interpretation of the experts.

Let's not argue about it. All will be clear (as mud?) in time.

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

But "he" is hardly the person to be relying on (or the possibly dodgy translation of what "he" said). I prefer to believe the original announcement, and as I said before, the interpretation of the experts.

Let's not argue about it. All will be clear (as mud?) in time.

Here it is.  Have a Thai translate for you. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Here is the original quote, he doesnt use the words permit of stay.

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

The new proposal which the Cabinet has agreed to (but which is not yet law) has already been translated and, for me, and numerous experts on Thai Visa matters on this and other Visa forums, is quite clear. Relying on what a Phuket health official has said is, in my view, unwise.

If it turns out that Extensions are included, you'll have plenty of opportunity to be pleased with yourself. But I think you are unnecessarily concerned.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Where are you getting this quote from that says renew permits of stay ? The original quote says renew their visa.

31 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Here is the whole Moph announcement run through google translate, not one word about renewals, extensions, etc

Department of Health Service Support (Department of Health Sciences) reveals additional criteria for making health insurance for foreigners. The applicant for a temporary visa Non-Immigrant Visa O-A code (1 year period) has been approved by the Cabinet on 2 April 2019 as a measure to protect the health of tourists. And reduce the burden of carrying medical expenses that make up the bad debt of Thai medical institutions. Dr. Natthawut Prasertsiripong Director-General of the Department of Health Service Support The Ministry of Public Health revealed that the Cabinet has approved the addition of health insurance regulations for foreigners who have temporarily applied for a visa. Non-Immigrant Visa O-A code (1 year period), piloted in the elderly group of foreigners, 50 years or older, with validity period 1 Year and year of year To create a mechanism to protect the lives and health of foreigners Due to foreigners encountering problems, the elderly group has the opportunity to experience health problems more than those applying for other types of signatures. In order to prevent bad debts of nursing homes Because some people do not have enough property to pay for medical expenses Resulting in the hospital having to bear the bad debt problem Therefore assigned the Ministry of Public Health Ministry of the Interior Ministry of Foreign Affairs And the Immigration Bureau Accelerate the improvement of relevant regulations And the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) together with related agencies to prepare the online insurance purchase channels To facilitate foreigners Non-Immigrant Visa O-A code (1 year period) By adding to foreigners having Thai health insurance coverage throughout the period of stay in Thailand With the sum insured for medical expenses in case of outpatient not less than 4 thousand baht, inpatient not less than 4 hundred thousand baht. The policy can be purchased online at http // longstay.tgia.org For those who buy health insurance for foreign companies, the amount of insurance must not be less than that of Thai health insurance as specified. Which may be considered for approval to be used to request a visa In addition, discussions with relevant agencies about how to check the policy are also required. For those who are at higher risk for health than the insurance company can accept By private insurers offering a fixed deposit In order to have sufficient funds to live Medical treatment and others While staying in Thailand Which must be discussed with the Office of Immigration and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Where are you getting this quote from that says renew permits of stay ? The original quote says renew their visa.

Where are you getting yours from?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#CHyDvbIwrdwzzU46.97

Cabinet approved an extra health insurance requirement for foreigners applying for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A visas,” Dr Natthawut said.

The new requirement applies to all foreigners aged 50 or older,” he added.

“The insurance policy must provide up to B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to B400,000 for inpatient treatment during their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand,” Dr Nutthawut said.

The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.

39 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The new proposal which the Cabinet has agreed to (but which is not yet law) has already been translated and, for me, and numerous experts on Thai Visa matters on this and other Visa forums, is quite clear. Relying on what a Phuket health official has said is, in my view, unwise.

If it turns out that Extensions are included, you'll have plenty of opportunity to be pleased with yourself. But I think you are unnecessarily concerned.

Would you like to share your translation?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#CHyDvbIwrdwzzU46.97
Cabinet approved an extra health insurance requirement for foreigners applying for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A visas,” Dr Natthawut said.
“The insurance policy must provide up to B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to B400,000 for inpatient treatment during their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand,” Dr Nutthawut said.
The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying to “renew” their one-year permits-to-stay, he said.

Why do you put so much credence on what a poorly translated Phuket health official has said? Refer to the official announcement and those who know about visas and immigration.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why do you put so much credence on what a poorly translated Phuket health official has said? Refer to the official announcement and those who know about visas and immigration.

OK I'm game.  What official announcement from those who know about visas and immigration?  Where do I see this document?

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

I would refer you to the original thread and to what Ubonjoe has said. I can't read Thai.

There is no document.  I gave you the best and most complete information of all the articles.  https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#CHyDvbIwrdwzzU46.97

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was getting the quote from the first Thaivisa thread.

See above  ,the actual announcement that I put through google translate.

I agree that relying on translations is dangerous; which is why I wouldn't rely on an official from Phuket who isn't even an Immigration official. Why not rely on the original posting as interpreted by the likes of Ubonjoe on this Forum, and Tod Daniels on the Facebook Thai Visa group?

Because I'm not as impressed by celebrity as some. What was meant by renewals?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Seems to me some are just splitting hairs and examining the minutia for some crumb to exploit.

The basic fact is it applies to O A Visa, nothing stated about extensions.(which are not visas )

An OA visa issued outside the Kingdom.

Thats it, thats all, (for now).

Anything else is pure speculation and unneccesary panic.

As it applies to OA (outside) local immigration offices wont even be handling it anyway.

Yet another over reaction by many guessing on what might happen next.

Archived